New 522GW Randomly Stops Recording

I had the exact same issue with my 522GW. After a lot of reformatting, reinstalling etc to no avail, the "issue" seemed to be with the app (iOS). At first I didn't see it, I had a bluetooth connection to the phone, paired and everything was working, it was continuously recording.

However, during some driving sessions, it started recording and right up until it paired with the phone (anything between 10-30s) it stopped recording.

Turns out that if I had used the app after the last driving session and entered the library tab to download some videos, the app would remember this and default to the library view, even when I hadn't started the app manually. As you might know it will also automatically stop the recording on the dash cam when in library view. This was even though the app was only running in the background and it could be several days ago since I used it actively.

Every time it stopped recording upon connecting the bluetooth. So I would say it is more of a design flaw and suggest that it only stops recording when actually using the app.

Hello,

Please can you send us all of the detail, including a video of the issue, to support@nextbase.com and we will be to pass this onto our Development Team.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hi,

Sorry that descriptive text will have to be my contribution, I am returning it tomorrow. I think the text explains it enough for them to identify the issue. Hope it helps others as well, it took a while to find. For me had a wee bit too many issues with it, both technically and just that the software and UI didn't really give that "I can rely on this product"-feeling. So that made me question the quality, the battery is another issue that I saw many mentioned, it's not even manageable without a power source.

Thanks,

Hello,
It sounds like you're having two separate issues here.
1. The recording stop/starting-
What brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?
When and where was the SD card purchased please?
How often is the card usually formatted please?

2. The power source-

Are you using a cigarette lighter cable or a hard wire kit please?

If the camera is always recording, then it's constantly being supplied with power.

This can either be because the cigarette lighter port is a permanent live fuse (always powered) or the hard wire kit is on a permanent live fuse.

If you're using a cigarette lighter cable, then you can either unplug the socket every time you leave the vehicle which will stop your battery from draining, or you can use a Hard Wire Kit instead. Please be aware that the cigarette lighter cable does not have an in-built voltage cut off and could drain your battery if left connected to a permanent live cigarette lighter socket.

If you're using a Hard Wire Kit, then you're currently on a Permanent Live fuse instead of a Switch Live fuse. You can either turn Parking Mode on, which will switch the camera off when not in use. Or if you do not want to enable Parking Mode, you can change the fuse position to a Switch Live Fuse. The Hard Wire Kit does have an in-built voltage cut off at 11.2V, protecting both your cam's battery and the car's battery.

If the camera is turning off when the car stop/starts, then either the power source isn't providing power to the camera when the car's engine is turned off (e.g. a switch live fuse), or the power source voltage is fluctuating below 11.2V, preventing the camera from being powered.

Kind regards,
Millie
Hi,
The SD card was the largest for the camera and a high spec as I had been instructed to change it previously. The power source was a cigarette lighter in all the vehicles. Fyi I went into settings and stopped the camera making both high and low res videos of the same recording. It is currently recording in high res only, with the rear view camera connected. It has only stopped and restarted once, to my knowledge, in the last 10 days. This seems to be resolved.
Thanks.

Hi,
The SD card was the largest for the camera and a high spec as I had been instructed to change it previously. The power source was a cigarette lighter in all the vehicles. Fyi I went into settings and stopped the camera making both high and low res videos of the same recording. It is currently recording in high res only, with the rear view camera connected. It has only stopped and restarted once, to my knowledge, in the last 10 days. This seems to be resolved.
Thanks.

I'm pleased to hear the issue is resolved. If you need any further assistance, just give us a call on 02920 866 429 (UK).

Kind regards,
Millie

Back