New 55 user, question about 3rd party viewers since Garmin doesn't have their own any more

Glenstr

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got a 55 for my birthday last summer, and for the most part am pretty happy with it. I especially like the travelapse option and use it quite a bit, recently to compress a trip from Edmonton to Vancouver down to 10 minutes.

Editing the plain video is easy enough, bring it into any editor, trim, add sountrack etc, then render.

What I'd like to do is watch / save a video that shows not only the cam view but a live overlay on a map. Garmin had a free program called dash cam viewer but it's no longer available.

I posted on their Virb forum about it and someone replied & pointed to the link, when I replied the link was dead. I then opened up a chat session with Garmin support, who confirmed the software was no longer available.

The next time I went to the board Garmin deleted the reply to my question and closed the thread, saying there was no forums for my product and to contact support.

Next I did some searching, and found another program called dashcam viewer by Earthshine software, but it apparently does not work with the Garmin models 35, 45, 55 etc because Garmin hides their gps data in a proprietary format the developer can't see.

Wondering if anyone else here has been able to find a program that will show (and let you save) videos that show a map overlay as well as the video for the Garmin?

I don't know why they took down their own software, assuming it must have been too much trouble for them..

Thanks for the reply - that's the 3rd party program I was referring to, in the FAQ the developer says unless he gets help from Garmin developers, the GPS data is unavailable to him from the 35, 45, 55, 65 models.

I use VLC but that doesn't show map...

viewing the files are no issue, VLC, media player etc. can do all that. Playing them with an accompanying map is what I want to do.

I haven't yet found an app that will do that. The location info is there, but the various apps (I use RegistratorView) don't understand it.

I found a copy of the (now discontinued, it seems) Garmin Dash Cam Viewer, it does what I want, in a limited fashion.

Unfortunately Garmin doesn't record GPS coordinates in their travelapse time lapse videos, which is what I really want to display on a map.

It will play the video with a map beside it, showing your point on the map in conjunction with the video, but it won'd render the combined screen to a file. I suppose I could do each file one at a time and use a screen capture utility for each one then combine them all, but that's a LOT of work..

I found a copy of the (now discontinued, it seems) Garmin Dash Cam Viewer, it does what I want, in a limited fashion.

Unfortunately Garmin doesn't record GPS coordinates in their travelapse time lapse videos, which is what I really want to display on a map.

It will play the video with a map beside it, showing your point on the map in conjunction with the video, but it won'd render the combined screen to a file. I suppose I could do each file one at a time and use a screen capture utility for each one then combine them all, but that's a LOT of work..

Take a look at my work-around, as you said it's a lot of work.. https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/garmin-dash-cam-55.28194/page-5#post-395911

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Dash Cam 55 0
R Dash Cam 55 9