New A119SV2 terrible quality night footage.

HoZy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Modded G1WH
Hi all, picked up a A119SV2 & I'm struggling with the image quality, during the day it seems things are not in focus until close to the car & at night the lens flare is crazy.

I've tried with WDR on & off as well as 50hz & 60hz. 60hz just adds a minor flicker.

Lens is clean, no cpl, inside of windscreen is spotless & the outside in this video has minor dry water spots from earlier in the day. Windscreen is relatively new and no scratches or wiper marks etc.

footage: Night @ 1920x1080 60fps WDR & 60hz fw2.1
link to footage:
(excuse the audio/turn volume down)

All help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

edit: RAW file link, without YT compression.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9brrcm0zu2mta4/2017_1013_235206_007.MP4?dl=0

Cheers

Last edited:
What are you comparing it against?

To be fair I don't think you'd get better from another cam, looks as good as night footage can be

What are you comparing it against?

To be fair I don't think you'd get better from another cam, looks as good as night footage can be

Comparing to my old G1WH & Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 in my other car.
Other online night footage of the A119S does not have lens flare & blur like this.

Look at 1:35-1:40 & the brake lights of the car in front or any of the street lights.

Even in daylight nothing is actually readable unless it right near the vehicle, is this a possible lens issue?

Cheers

edit: I've sent the re-seller I purchased from the footage link and hopefully I can get a replacement unit, it sucks because I wanted to purchase a second one to use as a rear camera as well.

Last edited:
Your definitely getting a lot of light flare. I would point the camera out an open window to eliminate your windshield as an issue (not while driving of coarse). From what I could see, focus looks good though.

Even in daylight nothing is actually readable unless it right near the vehicle

day video download dropbox.com .

inside of windscreen is spotless
What did you clean it with?

Looks like it may have left some residue on the glass, try again with a fresh clean cloth and no polish...

Reactions: Mtz
Your definitely getting a lot of light flare. I would point the camera out an open window to eliminate your windshield as an issue (not while driving of coarse). From what I could see, focus looks good though.

I will try to go to the same spot this evening for the same lighting and try that, thanks.

day video download dropbox.com .

Will upload one if I go out today, I stupidly cleared the microsd out of habit.

What did you clean it with?

Looks like it may have left some residue on the glass, try again with a fresh clean cloth and no polish...

An isopropyl alcohol water mix and fresh microfiber towel, I assure you there is no residue or polish.

Cheers

Try also a recording in the room at your home with the camera in your hand.

enjoy,
Mtz

An isopropyl alcohol water mix and fresh microfiber towel, I assure you there is no residue or polish.

Cheers
If you want to mix something for cleaning windows then use a little vinegar in your water.

The isopropyl alcohol will quite likely leave some residue that it has dissolved from somewhere else.

A test without the windscreen in the way will show if it is the glass or the camera that is the problem, looks like the glass to me...

If you want to mix something for cleaning windows then use a little vinegar in your water.

The isopropyl alcohol will quite likely leave some residue that it has dissolved from somewhere else.

A test without the windscreen in the way will show if it is the glass or the camera that is the problem, looks like the glass to me...

A Car Wash drive thru can also leave a residue on the windshield.
50% white vinegar and the other half plain water is perfect for cleaning the windshield inside and out.
I use paper towels and the 50/50 mixture and it works, no spots.

Last edited:
Should be a good cleaning fluid (if you are using pure isopropyl alcohol, not rubbing alcohol which can contain other additives.)
But the microfibre towel may not be as squeaky clean as you think. If you'd said microfibre cloth (as in a small, smooth cloth suitable for spectacles or camera lenses) it would inspire more confidence.
Try some scrunched up newspaper as a final wipe.

Those starburst lines are definitely the result of something being smeared in the optical path. Just hope it's not inside the lens.

Hi, guys.
Looks like I have the same issue with my new A119S (v2, firmware v2.1).

Day video sample: short movie (full ~300Mb) (with CPL-filter, power throught GPS unit and original cable, charger).
Night video sample: short movie (full ~300Mb) (with CPL-filter, power throught dashcam and original cable, charger).

Recording settings used: 1920х1080P 30fps, 3min, -1/3, WDR off, 50Hz.
I tried diffenet options like 60fps / 1min / WDR on / another exposure / 60Hz / with and without CPL.
Also tested it at home using power-bank as power source and different cable - the same footage quality.

What do you think? Is it ordinary video quality for A119S model? Looks like it should be better (based on owners samples on youtube).
Thanks for any advice!

Hi, guys.
Looks like I have the same issue with my new A119S (v2, firmware v2.1).

Day video sample: short movie (full ~300Mb) (with CPL-filter, power throught GPS unit and original cable, charger).
Night video sample: short movie (full ~300Mb) (with CPL-filter, power throught dashcam and original cable, charger).

Recording settings used: 1920х1080P 30fps, 3min, -1/3, WDR off, 50Hz.
I tried diffenet options like 60fps / 1min / WDR on / another exposure / 60Hz / with and without CPL.
Also tested it at home using power-bank as power source and different cable - the same footage quality.

What do you think? Is it ordinary video quality for A119S model? Looks like it should be better (based on owners samples on youtube).
Thanks for any advice!
Just viewing in the Google Drive player (not downloading the raw file) the daytime video looks OK to me. At night it looks like your windshield is fairly dirty.

No, windshield is clean. Will try to shoot a test movie through an open window.

No doubt it appears clean to you.
Just a thought.
I have a hunch if you use paper towels, 50/50 white vinegar and water and clean:
- both sides of the windshield
- both sides of the CPL filter
- use a very light application amount with a Q Tip on the lens or - see BCH video tip.
You will notice a significant improvement viewing lights at night.
It seems to minimize the spikes and bubbles from the lights.

Reactions: d-m
Thanks for reply. Will try to clean it as you suggested when will have a chance (it's quite cold whether now).

Thanks for reply. Will try to clean it as you suggested when will have a chance (it's quite cold whether now).
I know the feeling, I keep a snow brush in the car, it's -4C and we had whiteouts this morning plus I'm getting new winter tires tomorrow morning.
Here is what made me change from my previous method of cleaning, etc.
I had my car washed and the glass sparkled and looked really clean to me.
However, when I did my video check I noticed some bubbles appearing under certain light.
The lens sees things through glass and we don't seem to under certain light conditions.
I bought a new spray bottle (never had any chemicals in it) and decided to try the white vinegar/water/ paper towels.
Low and behold I was amazed how it eliminated the problem.
Actually all my images improved from that point onward.
Best of luck with your new A119S.

I have a hunch if you use paper towels, 50/50 white vinegar and water and clean:
- both sides of the CPL filter
Don't use paper towels on filters or lenses unless they are special lens cleaning ones. They may scratch or remove the coatings.
A microfiber cloth is good, or a lenspen.

Don't use paper towels on filters or lenses unless they are special lens cleaning ones. They may scratch or remove the coatings.
A microfiber cloth is good, or a lenspen.
Thanks Nigel.
I should have been more specific about each item.The only thing I used on the lens and filter was 4 or 5 Q Tips, nothing else.

Reactions: d-m
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P A119S 13
<SS> A119S 6
cess A119S 19
cess A119S 3
cess A119S 15
Back