New A129 wont power on unless connected to GPS base

roadkill401

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have for the longest time had an A119 but I decided that it might be a good idea to upgrade to some newer technology so I can get the rear camera as well. I ordered a new unit from Amazon and got it shipped today. But when I went to plug it into the Computer via the USB port on the unit, it just didn't seem to do anything. so I tried it plugged into a USB external battery and again it didn't want to turn on. the only way I could get the unit to work is if I used the external battery and plugged into the GPS unit on the bottom.

Trying to figure out if the unit is DOA or if I am just doing something completely wrong. HELP appreciated.

what "unit" did you get?
what the capacity of the "external battery"?
can you power up the "unit" from a phone / wall charger?

Try using the supplied USB cable and 12v car adapter. Try both cables if one does not work.

This is an A129. I think there is just a problem with the USB port on the unit. As I said, if I connect it up with the GPS and plug in through the GPS port it works fine. The rear camera works plugged into the rear port on the unit. Just not when I plug in through the USB port.

Think I will send it back and just get a different one set to me. I gather it isn't something strange to the A129 that I didn't know about. I do like the WiFi option for the unit. the 2.4ghz seems to be incredibly slow, but if I configure for 5ghz, I can grab the images off it at a decent clip.

This is an A129. I think there is just a problem with the USB port on the unit. As I said, if I connect it up with the GPS and plug in through the GPS port it works fine. The rear camera works plugged into the rear port on the unit. Just not when I plug in through the USB port.

Think I will send it back and just get a different one set to me. I gather it isn't something strange to the A129 that I didn't know about. I do like the WiFi option for the unit. the 2.4ghz seems to be incredibly slow, but if I configure for 5ghz, I can grab the images off it at a decent clip.
It’s always worth doing some troubleshooting steps to ensure it’s definitely the camera, otherwise, your replacement will do the same thing. You shouldn’t use your computers USB ports to power the camera, they usually don’t supply enough power to properly power the camera. Try powering via a USB wall charger (phone charger) and the short USB cable supplied with the camera. Don’t use any aftermarket cables.

Most cellphone wall-type chargers are up to the job- in fact I've never seen one which wasn't and I've got a box full of them. Car ciggie adapters are a minefield of crap with a few reliable ones like Anker and Scosche. Most powerbanks also have the needed current when fully charged. Don't count on anything else.

Phil

Back