A219 Pro video drop follow up post (previously: New A129Pro occasional double beep , doubt it is due to overheating)

Offcoarse they will ask more just because it's enterprise and yes, you will pay a lot for support. It took years before netapp started SSD support and thats because SSD's were evolving to fast, they offer services that you will get the exaxt same drive as replacement, even if we are talking 8 years later and you can't get them anymore anywhere, they will be on your desk within 8 hours, they couldn't do that because drives on the market and chips were being put EOL in record times. (but that support will cost more then the drives themself)

But that it's just the same HW with a diferent firmware, they may lock features but the HW is quite different. I haven't looked it up but I expect that 960GB flash drive has 100% redundancy flash, meaning in reality its a 1920 GB drive. Consumer drives, perhaps you get 5% or you may get 0%. "Pro drives" may go to 20% It will also have redudant controllers and safety for upgrading the controller firmwares, your consumer drive won't. (if the controllers screws up in a SSD, the data is still there but you can't make any sense of it anymore ending up in total loss of data)

Another issue is that you are just looking at expected life, I have pretty expensive USB thumb drives will hit 300-400 MB/sec without drops on a 200GB file copy but they will be very, very hot after 200GB of data. That isn't an issue because after that copy it will cool down and it's designed to handle a short burst of heat, in fact they are quite thick because the outside is solid metal designed to get that heat out. But start doing that for multiple hours and that thumbdrive will get into big trouble because of heat.

For flash memory you get into trouble when it starts to get full, because it cant move data around, it cant choose anymore where to put it and it will start to keep writing the same cells over and over ending up overloading cells instead of balancing.

A normal SD card only has a basic controller that doesnt care, and for normal use, who ever writes the damn thing full all the time? I even expect the endurance versions to have the same basic controller, it's hard to give it a complex controller at that physical size while it should behave to the host as a stupid controller because it must support SD card readers that never got any complex command structure as SD cards were never designed for this kind of use anyway. It's only after SSD's started to get mainstream they started updating commands support for flash drives but SD cards yet have to get those.

However those endurance cards do use MLC NAND flash that is more expensive and slower but it will last longer. Also it will have some form of error correcting so that it can take an error once and a while without issue. But if you don't have that, well what does the Viofo do when it gets a write error once and a while?

But then you have consumers, they are not intrested, it must be fast and it must be cheap just like their RAM that doesnt have ECC. You will get bitflips but as long as you sometimes reboot the computer and you use it under normal circumstances, perhaps the system will crash because of that once in 10 years. But start pumping that RAM on a 24/24 7/7 system, you will learn to buy ECC server graded RAM the hard way.

Last edited:
And my NAS drive which is double the price of consumer drive failed (bad sectors) after just 1 year.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

And your point is?

I've seen ECC graded memory fail, I've seen Xenon cpu's fail in servers that cost more then a complete car. 50K is normal for a decent server and then I need a backup in case the first one failes as hot standby. You think I can convince managers for that kind of budgets with some marketing? For some locked features?

You have any idea what kind of price tags is on core switches? You know, that stuff that a consumer pays max 100 to 400 euro? The top line can go over 100K, go ask your boss for 100K budget with marketing bull****.

And yes, there is a lot of bull**** being sold to consumers, that's just because consumers want to hear what fantastic deal they got while paying peanuts.
But you don't get that in the enterprise market because your customers know what they want and why they want it, still they don't want to pay to much and yet they are spending a 100K on switches.

So go ahead and be the smart consumer that knows better but don't start complaining and whining when the troubles come.

The point is, the NAS hdd that supposed to be designed for NAS failed in a year. And my point is, since NAS hdd has longer warranty period, I can make a warranty claim and get a replacement unit. "Stupid" consumer hdd get only 1 year warranty. So I'm paying extra for the warranty. Internally, the both hdd types most likely are the same where the NAS with more extra spare space for it to switch out failed sectors until it can't.

Of course RAM is different since it is sold with a label ECC on it. So when we buy it, we know this product has ECC and will guarantee that no corrupted ram transfer will occur.

But on storage, they just feed you with nice terminologies and nice names. Plus longer warranty period and etc.

When my NAS drive failed, I just easily switch it because I'm using raid. But what if that user only has a NAS with 1 bay? Wouldn't that be a bad experience for him? You can't blame him for being stupid because he bought a 1 bay NAS. He already invested on a good expensive NAS hdd.

If the consumer was expecting that drive failure was ruled out because he bought a NAS graded drive, well....
And yes, some of those so called NAS graded drives are in fact just refurbished drives with marketing over them because a normal consumer will actually put way less stress on them then when operating system is running from them, either you do your homework or they make big profits just because they can.

Even those 32GB SD cards for a 120 euro a piece go in to a dual SD card slot reader with a software raid. And you know what they use them for? For booting up servers that don't have any kind of local storage, so the servers boots, it loads the software from a redundant SD card slot, most likely a hypervisor, rest of the storage is on the network and once it has booted, you can pull those SD cards out if you want, it doesn't use them at all.

That server may reboot perhaps once a year and be replaced after 5 years. So 2 SD cards, thats 240 euro plus the redudant card reader with software raid, that's 500 euro, to do 1 write and 5 reads.

And all of that because its way cheaper then to give it normal drives that will require a non software raid controller that comes with a replacable li-on battery (think of a mobile phone battery) so that it can always safely finish its writes so it doesn't corrupt the disks in case of power loss. (they have other extra's, just one of them)
And that raid controller alone will cost more than that pretty expensive SD card setup.

The reason they are paying that much for 1 write and 5 reads if all goes well, SD cards may corrupt their data if they are sitting there for years, some servers will run for even longer then 5 years without any reboot. And they still want 2 of them because otherwise you can't sell such a server because SD cards have a pretty bad reputation for reliability so they will only use them if you build enough safeguards while you only need them a few times.

So, in the end even if you buy the pricey storage card/disk, it may fail at the same rate as the consumer storage card/disk. But since it has longer warranty period, you can make a warranty claim.

So, as Nath mentioned, if this is so, why not just go for the consumer version and just prepare to buy a new one when it fails? The consumer card used is also a U3 card and guarantees a minimum 30MB/s write, more than enough for A129 Pro Duo writing speed.

Thus either the card cannot deliver the guaranteed minimum 30MB/s or something is wrong with the writer. To get the U3 label, I'm sure Samsung, SanDisk or other manufacturers need to pass the certification tests by SD Association, no? Else they couldn't place the U3 label on their product.

If the card pass the h2testw write and verify test, this should tell that the card hasn't failed or corrupted.

Hi Folks, I give some testing on my new A129Pro these days and find that my unit have double beep during recording.

My SD card is a Samsung EVO+ 128GB card, 100% genuine, formatted inside the dash cam. Recording spec is WDR-OFF, 1440p 60FPS+ 1080p 30FPS, bitrate high, no parking mode, no wifi, firmware v1.3. The sd card has running hwtest is 100% ok and checked with crystal disk at around 65 Mb/s write speed. Dash cam is powered through the original viofo USB cable to the GPS unit.

The unit have occasional double beep during recording, especially when running under direct sunlight. The unit keep recording onward, that's no shutdown no freezing. The double beep didn't occur (so far through these test days) during evening and night time. Taking out the SDcard and put it into my pc, the video is interrupted and missing about 3-5 sec during the double beep period.

The dash cam goes really hot after 10-15min running, the sd card and the rear camera cable plug (the end that plug into the front camera body) also goes very hot when unplugging. I doubt it is an overheat issue and causing the double beep with record interruption.

Any idea?

I noticed the power on my car accumulator is still 12.40 but in the end of HK3 when camera is connected its going down down down down untill camera shut down xD
New accumulator 2020 :)

That logic doesn't make sense, you can die from smoking but you might get run over by a car and die so go ahead and smoke => thats the logic you are using.

If we can agree that the endurance cards willl last longer due to other memory and does in fact has some kind of error correction,

Then the endurance card will last longer and will correct minor errors. That a pricey one may fail in a week is truth, and that a normal SD card can fail in 6 days is also truth. Thats why we are speaking on average and if it fails in a day, **** happens, thats what warranty is for.

" If the card pass the h2testw write and verify test, this should tell that the card hasn't failed or corrupted."

While this statement is truth, we can observe that the card does function in the dashcam so then their is no issue, why the topic?
Because you have beeps indicating write errors while the images are not corrupt so you only have very few errors, otherwise the files would show corruption.

Are you running the test in the same conditions? Same temperature? Same length of operation? Same vibrations and shocks? Running from a power source that will move, jump and jerk between 12 & 14.9V the same as your car?

No, you are testing in lab conditions that are far more stable then when running in your car. Further testing is required, running the dashcam from a more stable power source while keeping it in the car on the same conditions , if then the dashcam is not beeping you can take a conclusion, if it does beep you can't.

Then you should move the dash cam inside and start doing the test again to try to get your conditions the same as when running your h2wtestw.

Perhaps it is indeed not the SD card causing the issue but my personal bet is on that SD card, the endurance card will have the same issue but it won't beep because of the error correction feature.

Still have double beep after using SDAssociation Formatter to format my SD card. The recording is fine under shaded weather, once the sun comes out and direct shine on the unit, it start double-beep randomly....

Still have double beep after using SDAssociation Formatter to format my SD card. The recording is fine under shaded weather, once the sun comes out and direct shine on the unit, it start double-beep randomly....
After your card has been formatted by SD Formatter, do not format the card with anything else anymore, including the dashcam.

After your card has been formatted by SD Formatter, do not format the card with anything else anymore, including the dashcam.

I put my card into dash cam and straight to use after SD formatter, no any reformat afterward
And it is a full format not a quick one

I put my card into dash cam and straight to use after SD formatter, no any reformat afterward
And it is a full format not a quick one
What file system did SD Formatter use? If it's fat32, then try formatting as exfat with default cluster size. Do not touch the partition.

Do not use the dashcam to format as it may rebuild the partition before formatting.

The fastest failing memory cards i have ever owned, was also the most expensive and fast U3 cards at the time, one failed before i got to fill it with 64GB data just 1 time, and the other one wasent much better.

This was genuine Transcend and PNY cards, and their replacement worked just fine, but this just prove even the best can fail far too quickly.

Double beeps are normally a memory card issue.

What file system did SD Formatter use? If it's fat32, then try formatting as exfat with default cluster size. Do not touch the partition.

Do not use the dashcam to format as it may rebuild the partition before formatting.

The SD formatter will format the SD into exFat (on my Samsung Evo Plus 128GB), didn't touch any other things so far

This thread has go to sea :)

My opinion is that graded are not necessarily better or more fit for the job.
I remember about 10-15 years ago I had 5.4/7.2/10k HDD in various systems, configurations and conditions. They were randomly fail or last...in theory the fastest one should fail first but wasn't the case, I would say more the other way around...so, excepting some particular situation, graded is more a mental exercise than a practical one.

However in regards to cards, as long as none of the producers have something specific for dashcam I can't pay 20-25% more for some branded as endurance.
The controller intelligence is irrelevant as long as he can write, all the sectors will be written and all of them will be zeros and ones...end of story in this aspect.
Operating temperatures are identical, memory type and structure is not specified so it must be identical.
If any of the producers reinvent the card we will hear about, up to then is just wasted money.

For warranty I'm prepared to buy another one whenever it fails.
2-4 beeps at every couple of hours or days are intriguing but not annoying.

Today have a few more test. The dash cam still double beep. I could conclude the double beep probably NOT coming from the heat of the unit, but the system cannot handle complex image encoding under 2560x1440 60fps with "high" bitrate.

I make the assumption because today the weather is not super hot in UK, cabin temperature at around 20 Celsius), and my unit get double beep even NOT under direct sunshine. But interestingly, the beep mainly occur when the car passing through:
- country side road or single carriageway
- where dense in high trees and bushes along left and right
- good sunlight that lit up sharp and clear on those tress

I have test my unit today with 2 different high quality SD card, get the similar results.

Then, I switch my dashcam to "maximum" bitrate at the same resolution 2560x1440, the double beep seems disappear. Need a further test to give a more solid conclusion. However, the image quality (color bending) from maximum bitrate seems slightly worse than in "high" bitrate..... donno why ....

I know many of you are running at 4k recording and happy /encourage with that, I prefer the 60fps smooth image and satisfy with 1440 resolution, but the color bending in this resolution really quite unpleasant....

So today give a test under good sunshine and see how's FW 1.7T doing. As the unit in FW 1.3 will occur double-beep and missing that section of video of around 4-5 second, today perform a day time recording test in FW1.7T.

Under 2560x1440 60FPS, "high" bitrate, no WDR no wifi no parking mode, the unit will still have occasional video drop for 4-5 seconds BUT THE UNIT WILL NOT BEEP (WHATEVER DOUBLE OR SINGLE) AND STAY IN SILENCE.

Will perform test again with Maximum bitrate next time to confirm if it is bug at certain bitrate level (last time testing under Maximum bitrate seems a little bit more stable)

[My original follow up post from 11/07/2020]
Just give a try of firmware update tonight. My A129Pro Duo comes with 1.3 firmware, now updated to " 20200417 v1.7T". Update process is smooth and straight forward, follow with resetting all setting to factory default after the upgrade is done.

First impression is okay.
- No immediate error and still staying stable at night time recording (will test it again at day time for double beep issue).
- More resolution options to choose, e.g. 2560x1440 offer with 60fps and 30fps. 1920x1080 offer 60fps, 120fps, 30fps
- Image quality (night time, 2560x1440 60fps, high bitrate, no WDR) stay in similar noise level like in 1.3 due to exposure boosting.
- Record file naming policy changed.

Didn't try any parking mode as that is not what I needed. So far the unit still in one piece and will report again follow with a day time test.

Just udpated my dashcam to the new official Viofo 2.0 firmware. After a 6-hours road trip testing today this afternoon in good sunshine, I can confirm the new 2.0 official FW still have corrupted video, several time when it pass through complex scene, with no double beep, the overall video corruption rate and behaviour pretty much the same with FW 1.7T

2560x1440 60fps, high bitrate, WDR off, no wifi no parking mode

Last edited:
I will not update if there will not be any acoustic advise of recording failure.
Today I drove for more than 4 hours. Beeps came after 10 minutes. I lost the last 10 seconds of the first files (front&rear) and the first 20 of the following 2 files. It was 10 AM and about 24 Celsius so that the dashcam was "fresh".
I use 1.7T, High quality, 10 minutes files, H264, no WDR, EXFAT.

If by corrupted video files you mean the footage getting blocky in situations with a lot to process, then i can tell you thats normal due to the moderate bitrate dashcams use.
If you need cinematic footage in situations like that you need a recorder that do 100 - 200 mbit bitrate., and they you still want to keep the footage far away from youtube.

Back