New Application! Feedback Wanted

Jon Shaw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I’m looking for Dashcam users to help me out.

My company is developing a cloud based application that in its most basic form allows users to store and view Dashcam footage back from anywhere.

Uploaded videos will be transcoded into multiple formats to allow playback, however fast your network connection.

We want to get users feedback on the initial prototype as well as feedback on the proposed feature list.

I would like to engage with users early on to ensure we are building a product that you guys will find useful.

The application is at https://DashVid.io

The features that we want to add are as follows:

Video Indexing - so that you can search within your videos. For example by license plate or by objects within the videos.
Location / time based searching.
Auto Tagging of videos - Machine learning of bad driving and accidents will allow for certain videos to be found easily and kept safe.
Video metadata extraction - GPS and G sensor data will be visible alongside the video.
Sell you footage - with your permission, your videos can be searched (but not viewed) and anyone can purchase a copy from you.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

My feedback is that I like to keep my data local. I don't use the cloud for compute or storage tasks, only distribution. (youtube, & forums like this one).

My feedback is that I like to keep my data local. I don't use the cloud for compute or storage tasks, only distribution. (youtube, & forums like this one).
@DAP can I ask why you prefer to keep your data locally as opposed to cloud storage?

First, I don't trust cloud applications not to look at my data.
Cloud companies go out of business, sometimes taking your data with them.
The Internet is a bottleneck. It is still faster to hop on a plane with a 5TB drive, then to try and transfer 5TB over the Internet.
If you have a large amount of data, it would be painful to change cloud providers
I prefer owning my applications rather than renting them.

....The features that we want to add are as follows:...

Video Indexing - so that you can search within your videos. For example by license plate or by objects within the videos.
Do you mean each video will be tagged with registration plate of the vehicle it was in, or do you mean some kind of software that tries to 'read' what the cam is seeing?

...Location / time based searching..........Video metadata extraction - GPS and G sensor data will be visible alongside the video.....
I prefer not to have GPS stamp because I don't want people knowing where I've been. I prefer not to have GPS-derived speed stamp because almost everyone occasionally strays a little over the speed limit and I wouldn't want a couple of mph coming back at me after an incident.

...Auto Tagging of videos - Machine learning of bad driving and accidents will allow for certain videos to be found easily and kept safe....
Does that mean you're developing something that can analyse the video (possibly in real-time) and label other drivers as bad? Or will it criticise every minor error I make, or evasive manoeuvre, or pothole?

Do you mean each video will be tagged with registration plate of the vehicle it was in, or do you mean some kind of software that tries to 'read' what the cam is seeing?
It is going to read all the plates visible in your video and check them against the ANPR database!

I'm sure some marketing companies would love all the data collected about peoples driving habits! That is how DashVid is going to make it's money.

Not many of us ever look at or even access most of the video recorded on dashcams, it just gets overwritten. How is this system going to get hold of all the video recorded by our cameras? I'm certainly not going to bother extracting the SD card and take it into the house so that I can upload 64GB of data to the internet every day when it is totally unnecessary!

I dont do the cloud thing, most of all for one reason and that is the cloud thing are a right here and right now thing meaning wifi.
And i just dont do wifi, and while i have a data part of my phone plan that's much bigger than i need i still wouldn't use that then as i find the speeds low though i most of the time are on a 4G connection.
So if i was to use such a feature i would have to do it at home on my beefy cable connection, and then why bother at all when i can just put the few files i do want to save on my local storage solution.

I see no reason to save all your driving footage, at least not as a normal driver, maybe for a commercial app it would be smart to do so.

I record about 4-5 hours of driving every week, and at the most i save 5-10 minutes that i use bits off for my youtube postings of idiot drivers, the rest are just garbage data to me, and i am not a hoarder.
I dont really have dashcams for my own security, its mostly for shaming the idiot drivers out there, so the only time where my cameras could help me was in a hit and run case, or me witnessing something near to my car.

Last edited:
Back