NEW BlackVue DR900X-2CH Dash Cam with CM100 LTE module

Dont think anyone got one yet, but as i understand it is the old cameras just with room for a sim card.

I am not a fan of any "smart" camera, just more things that can break / give you grief, and the "smart" cameras always trade in image quality for those smarts it seem.

My personal priorities are:
1: image quality.
2: stealth.
3: price.
4: wifi but just for doing settings on a larger phone screen, really i need to buy some reading glasses to have in the car.

I do have 40 GB data on my phone, but a dashcam will tear thru that in no time, and i am not paying for a flatrate data sim card as that cost as much as my 1 gigabit connection at home.
And i sure as a hot place are not going to pay for some cloud service too, and no smart camera can UL to the owners own NAS

Theres Cloud so it does not use up your cell phone memory... Please note theres more changes and the "S" is being discontinued. The X is Replacing the S which is being discontinued and there is a new hardwire kit and LTE Module, on pre-order now for beginning of Oct delivery, etc. Whats everyone think about this?

Oh I see now you're are talking about cellular data, not cell memory, I see what you are saying; I didn't think about how much a cell plan would cost for unlimited data here. The X will have more Vent Holes which will eliminate the over heat up problem that the 900S has experienced.

Yeah they probably did have to make some changes even if the SIM card dont go in the camera itself ( as i understand it )
But as i understand it the core components ( not least sensors ) are still the same ( not that they are garbage in any way ) the new hard wire kit i would guess is to accomodate a higher power draw for the 4G moden and what not.

Yeah they probably did have to make some changes even if the SIM card dont go in the camera itself ( as i understand it )
But as i understand it the core components ( not least sensors ) are still the same ( not that they are garbage in any way ) the new hard wire kit i would guess is to accomodate a higher power draw for the 4G moden and what not.
thanks for your opinion, I will probably think more about getting this and not jump the gun on rushing to buy it right now.

yeah it add up, and i dont think a unlimited 4G cell plan are stupid expensive in Denmark VS other countries, also this country are pretty flat and have good national coverage from at least 3 providers, but you can still find yourself in a 4G black spot, or at least slow 4G speeds, at least if you move out in the country away from the towns.
I have 2 networks to lean on, my own provider + free roaming on the absolute largest provider ( the former public phone network ) but even with 2 nation wide networks i some times hit a black spot,,,,,,, a small one of course this is little old Denmark after all.

We should have at least a couple of nation wide 5G networks in a few years ( small country ) the major towns are already getting 5G
Anyway at times your camera will probably have to play catch up from the memory card after you have been in a 4G black spot or in a area with slow speeds.

I assume Blackvue also ask for some amount of money to host XX GB of storage.

Okay i dont drive much myself, i think i average about 15 minutes daily at best, but for that use i am fine moving a memory card to my card reader every 1-2 weeks to pull a little off them to share.

Last edited:
it is a high price to pay for being a early adopter, also something to consider if you dont have money to throw around just for the sake of it.
Me i am on a pension, so not much play in my budget, at least not unless i drop / halt other hobbies for the sake of 1 thing.

Depending on where you live in the US, and under what circumstances you park, then parking guard might also be hit or miss, not least with a already hot running 4K camera.
I have just become able to use parking guard with the SG9663DR camera i was given by Street Guardian to test, i dont really have a need for it i feel, so i just use it on a 1 hour timer, cuz that will cover all my shopping, where the chance of getting bumped are highest i think.
But the DR have the main heat generation unit elsewhere than on the windscreen, so in theory if its not baking in the sun it should last a bit longer even if a car get almighty hot when parked in the sun.

My opinion after using the DR900X, U1000, and A129 Pro:

If you really want cloud features like push notifications sent to your phone for impacts while you are parked, the DR900X is the only way to go, thinkware's cloud service is too under developed.

If you don't care about cloud features but still want a good parking mode, the Thinkware U1000 is the way to go as it has superior video quality to the DR900X.

If you don't care so much about parking mode, but still want good video quality (better than the DR900X) for a cheaper price than thinkware or blackvue, the Viofo A129 Pro is the way to go. The A129 and other newer Viofo cams have buffered parking mode now, but its still pretty basic compared to thinkware and blackvue. There is no timer function (if they have since added this feature please correct me, but they didn't when I reviewed it) so if you don't drive for awhile it just runs down until the low voltage cut off. I prefer having a timer function. I also like the voice alerts telling me how many impacts sensed during parking mode that blackvue and thinkware have.

I will be running the U1000 in my truck and the DR900X in my car for now on though. I think the video quality on the DR900X is good enough, but definitely not as good as several other top cameras. But when it comes to parking mode with blackvue cloud I love it. I got a T-mobile prepaid 2gb plan for $10 a month and use the blackvue cloud free account which is plenty for me. I only plan to view live feeds or videos over the cloud if I need to, not going to be doing it regularly so 2gb is fine.

Last edited:
Back