New BlackVue DR900X Plus Series 4K Dashcam Available Now

Well, that was fun as hell to catch up on. According to Sony, the DR750X-Plus uses "Sony STARVIS™ CMOS Sensor (Approx. 2.1MP)" for both front and rear. The DR900X-Plus uses "8MP CMOS Sensor" (their website) for the front and the "Sony STARVIS™ CMOS Sensor (Approx. 2.1MP)".

Who make the DR900X-Plus 8MP CMOS Sensor? Sony?
Looks like it's the OminiVision OS08A10 as per @reverend a bit earlier in this thread:
The front advantages seem to be delivered via the SoC upgrade only as it's the same image sensor used as the DR900x - the previous DR900 cameras were HiSilicon Hi3559 based and this new DR900x Plus is the newer HiSilicon Hi3559v200 SoC as used in the DR750x.

As mentioned the rear camera is the same as that in the DR750x with the Sony IMX327 sensor.

Details below for this latest DR900X Plus.

SoC: HiSilicon Hi3559v200
Front sensor: OmniVision OS08A10 - 1/1.8" sensor - 2.0µm pixel size
Rear sensor: Sony IMX327 - 1/2.8" sensor - 2.9µm pixel size
Watching those awesome review videos by Vortex Radar I'm not yet sold on upgrading 900X to 900X-Plus, but it's getting much better. Luckily I only have to buy the front camera (it's about time we could upgrade our 2-ch with a single front!).
Glad the videos are helpful! I've been working on the DR900X Plus vid all week and keep finding more stuff to add. Looks like it's gonna be nearly half an hour long by the time all is said and done, lol. Hopefully I can get it done by the end of the week. That's my goal now (that keeps getting pushed back, heh).

I am eager to try the DR900X Plus as my DR750X Plus is underwhelming and as soon as I get my car back from the shop next week I plan on returning it and trying the DR900X Plus. Also the Sonly "Starvis" name is really meaningless, if they want to impress they need to put the "Starlight" low light sensors in so the night captures are better. Those would be in the same ball park as the Omnivision sensors. And to beat a dead horse, give me a "Ultimate" recording mode of 50mbs to retain more of the details.

Thank you for the video, I’m sold! Just waiting for Blackvue DR900X PLUS to be available on Amazon in the UK, then il bite the bullet, up until then I’m happy using my THINKWARE T700

It seems good on paper, and in Vortex's review. Because it is the 3rd iteration of the 900 series, I really want this to be much better than the 900s. The wifi behaviour had better be flawless. There had better be no stupid mechanical issues like the touch sensor pcb eventually becoming loose then rattling during driving.

Yes I want to replace my 900s :LOL:

I'm a sucker, I bought one and recieved it 3 days ago. Haven't had time to install it yet, but excited for the update! Much needed IMO. I've had a few incidents over the years where absolute sharpness was needed, so I'm willing to pay up for better performance.

Will be at least a week before I can do a review, family in town and no time to re-run all the wires and install with everyone here. :(

Installed mine today, replacing my recently purchase DR750X Plus that was under whelming. The DR750X Plus will go back. I don’t expect the DR900X Plus will be leaps better than the 750X+, but hopefully the extra resolution will make up for the awful over sharpened image of the 750. I am not expecting miracles over the 750+, if the image is better I will be happy. Will give it is good workout tomorrow. Also curious to see if the CPL creates as many purple flares on the 900+ as it did on the 750+.

OK had spend the day driving with the DR900X Plus after removing my DR750X Plus. A few observations:

- 900+ white balance (color accuracy) is rough in scenes with large dynamic range. It tends to over saturate and colors that are not neutral tones. as well as blow out the sky in high dynamic range scenarios. The 750X+ was more balanced more saturated colors. I suspect the larger range of the sensor in the 900X+ may have something to do with this and that Blackvue rusn the same image processing across both cameras.

- It handle wide dynamic range well, while it will blow out the bright sky it keeps the lower light areas where in matter (at ground level).

- There is a clear increase in detail over the 750+ (dah), but it comes out more natural as I felt the 750+ was over sharpening

- They really should offer a "Ultra" recording option of 40-50mbs to help it preserve a little more detail.

- What I find a bit odd is that I swapped out the front cam only, kept the came that came with my 750X+ in place and it seems the rear cam not looks better. On the 750X+ the colors looked a bit washed out and the images were not as sharp. Nothing drastic, but it is noticeable. I assume there are some addiotnal image tweaks that go into the 900X+ over the 750X+

Considering I am getting more detail in the same storage space the 900X+ is a keeper. I think they can improve upon image processing, but I am glad I sent my 750X+ back. Neither the 750X+ or 900X+ were inexpensive so if you are going to spend this much on a cam, spend the roughly $50-60 extra on the 900X+.

I completed my comparison video between the DR900X-2CH Plus and the older DR900X-2CH along with a couple of comparisons with the video from a Blueskysea B4K 2-channel (latest rear camera).

I do like the improved video quality from the DR900X-2CH cameras. Although, the video footage from the DR900X Plus front camera has a bit of a brown hue to it. Adding the CPL to the front camera does make the colors look a bit better.

Blackvue engineers really need to hire a good image processing software person. I think they try and compress as much dynamic range into the image to preserve as much detail as possible (a good think), but they tend to over saturate non-neutral colors and flatten the overall image. One thing I have noticed is these cams get hot. It was cool outside today I parked after a 30 minute drive and the car interior was maybe 72F. The body of the cam was extremely warm. You would think they would put more vents to let the air flow up through it better. That said I am fairly happy with my purchase and ordered a second for the wife's car to install this weekend.

The software is a bit quirky, BT pairing took a few attempts and when I was ready to give up and manually pair it when it finally worked. Wifi connection. All that said the Blackvue seems to be a keeper and decent cam with a hefty price that may struggle as the competition heats up.

Last edited:
Still not a fan of the Blackvue
Did you forget to finish this sentence? It seemed you were a fan of the 900x+, based on your earlier post.

Did you forget to finish this sentence? It seemed you were a fan of the 900x+, based on your earlier post.
Sorry I had a brain fart. I am happy with the 900x+, could be better for the price, but overall a good cam.

thinking of trying this cam out from my viofo duo pro 2ch having issues with it when i have issues concerning not powering up i get real weery

I'm having the same dilemma as the 900S owners (although, not as extreme, requiring re-wire): to upgrade or not? 900X-->900X+? I'm not yet finding any compelling reason to do so, even though these videos show "some" improvement, there are some that show worsening (oversaturated). Maybe when they release the 950X at 8K (hey, I can wish right?).

I'm having the same dilemma as the 900S owners (although, not as extreme, requiring re-wire): to upgrade or not? 900X-->900X+? I'm not yet finding any compelling reason to do so, even though these videos show "some" improvement, there are some that show worsening (oversaturated). Maybe when they release the 950X at 8K (hey, I can wish right?).

Agreed. I'm on the fence, haven't been able to bring myself to pull the upgrade trigger.

If I get one for the second car, 900X+, no question. But 900X > 900X+ upgrade? Not seeing a compelling argument for that yet.

If they added a 60 FPS mode to the 900X+, done deal.

900X-->900X+? I'm not yet finding any compelling

900X > 900X+ upgrade? Not seeing a compelling argument
And the high price compounds that issue.

OTOH, buying a 900S or 900X shows we weren't too concerned about the high price in the first place. We can always just sell our 900S or 900X to offset some of the cost of a 900X+.

An upgrade from 900S to 900X+ is more compelling.

I just got my 900x+ and I have audio clipping and distortion during loud music with bass. My DR750S is recording right next to it and doesn't have that issue. I hope I don't have a hardware issue already.

I have had my DR900X Plus for about 3 weeks now and put a second in the wife’s car about 2 weeks ago. I had started with a DR750X plus, but was not happy with it and returned it. The 900X+ is obviously better image quality. One of the 900X+ rear cams is blurrier than the other and I am arranging an RMA replacement. Overall the low light performance is decent and not much different than the 750X+. With the competition in the cam space I am not sure Blackvue’s price premium is warranted, but time will tell.

Back