New Camera, GPS Question

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I just received and mounted my new SG9665GC! I spent a little extra to get the 64gb card, and ended up with a Samsung EVO card, so I am very happy about that.

I have a question about mounting the GPS unit. I've read up on this unit quite a bit, so am familiar with the older dash units being flipped, the new short-cord windshield units, etc. However, is it important how the GPS unit is oriented when mounted to the windshield? In other words, obviously the tape sticks to the glass, but does it matter if it is turned so the cord comes out in any particular direction (12 o'clock, 6 o'clock, or any other particular rotation)? I have never seen this mentioned, so I doubt it matters, but thought I'd better ask...

Very impressed so far; can't wait to see how it does on the road and at night!

Take care,
Regan

For receiving GPS signal it is not important which way gps cable is orientated as long as gps module facing the sky. In your case v3 version comes with shorter GPS antenna and pre-flipped GPS module, it is windshield mounted.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the GC club. Yes Samsung EVO cards are quite nice.

V3 comes with a pre-flipped short cable GPS mount ready to be attached to the glass as is. The cord location has no effect so you can have it stick out 12 o’clock, 3 o’clock, 6 o’clock, 9 o’clock or anything in between. (Doesn’t matter choose what looks best)

Here is what mine looks like.

83a8f400ea2fb2fca64d39d12bd60ef0.png

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate the help! I think mine will tuck away best in the upper corner like SG USA's picture, but the cord needs to come out on the side to fit right. I didn't think that would matter, but wanted to ask before I glued it in.

Thanks again!
Regan

I have mine tucked up under the headliner, can't even see it, and it still gets a great signal.

I've just bought one too, and am very happy with it. I'll also be buying one for my other car. My question is how long should it take for the GPS signal to go from red to green? Most of the time, it takes about 13 minutes. I've tried turning the antenna front to back without any difference, with full view of the sky. Is this normal? Thanks.

If it's the short antenna it goes sticker side to the window, shouldn't take that long to get a fix unless you have something nearby which is interfering with the signal, how close is it to the camera? What type of vehicle?

Thanks for the fast reply, also one of the reasons I bought this unit. It is a short antenna. Its a 2010 Nissan Xtrail and the antenna is currently being held close to the glass by the camera wires. I did read somewhere that it shouldn,t be close to the camera, but I didn't want to permanently stick it to the glass until I resolved this. However this may be the problem?

Thanks for the fast reply, also one of the reasons I bought this unit. It is a short antenna. Its a 2010 Nissan Xtrail and the antenna is currently being held close to the glass by the camera wires. I did read somewhere that it shouldn,t be close to the camera, but I didn't want to permanently stick it to the glass until I resolved this. However this may be the problem?

don't put the GPS next to the camera, it will effect the signal, top corner of the window is ideal

Hi, I checked last weeks videos to check the time it takes to get the green GPS signal and it ranges anywhere up to 5 and a half minutes with 1-3 minutes being the average. Is this normal?

Last edited:
No problem. I'm very happy with it and I'll be buying another one for my other car. Thankyou. (y)

Back