New Car... perfect excuse for a new dashcam!

cros135

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I've got a BMW i3 coming the end of this month and I'm going to grab a new dashcam for it to replace my aging DR32.

I've been on a waiting list for this car for a year and always planned to have a new dashcam for it. I had hoped that 4K dashcams would be available by now (All the displays in my house are 4K and the quality jump would be worth it for me) but that seem not to be the case yet.

My perfect dashcam would be 4K, HDR, record in H.265 and capacitor backed.

I need a camera that is high quality 1080p or better, good low light performance and takes 5V power which I can tap from inside the rearview mirror. It also needs to fix to the windscreen without a suction cup or large mount. I'd prefer not to have a screen on the cam and wifi would be a bonus.

I've been looking at the Vico Marcus 4, GoPro Hero4 Black or SJ5000 Plus. The reason the GoPro is on the list is that GoPros can be controlled through the iDrive system in the i3. I'd obviously mod it to remove the battery and add a capacitor.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Last edited:
Yeah they are 5v but you need to use the 12v to 5v adapter, they're sensitive to the power supply, the 5v feed you have may not be suitable

Yeah they are 5v but you need to use the 12v to 5v adapter, they're sensitive to the power supply, the 5v feed you have may not be suitable

Thanks I needed to mention this. @cros135 Let us know what you have in mind exactly as for as 3rd party usb power supply. (complete amp/power specs etc)

I've got a BMW i3 coming the end of this month and I'm going to grab a new dashcam for it to replace my aging DR32.

I've been on a waiting list for this car for a year and always planned to have a new dashcam for it. I had hoped that 4K dashcams would be available by now (All the displays in my house are 4K and the quality jump would be worth it for me) but that seem not to be the case yet.

My perfect dashcam would be 4K, HDR, record in H.265 and capacitor backed.

I need a camera that is high quality 1080p or better, good low light performance and takes 5V power which I can tap from inside the rearview mirror. It also needs to fix to the windscreen without a suction cup or large mount. I'd prefer not to have a screen on the cam and wifi would be a bonus.

I've been looking at the Vico Marcus 4, GoPro Hero4 Black or SJ5000 Plus. The reason the GoPro is on the list is that GoPros can be controlled through the iDrive system in the i3. I'd obviously mod it to remove the battery and add a capacitor.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.
From your list I would go with Marcus M4, if form factor and "dangling" cables are ok for you. Other than that M4 has a good feedback.
GoPro is not designed on the first place for proper dashcam use, even if you start modifying it, you still dont get some things that purpose built dashcams have.
Best if you wait a little bit. There are some interesting projects coming out soon which might be interesting for you.

Last edited:
Back