New Car - Stop/Start issues

RobTrehy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
VIOFO A119
So I got a new car recently, which has stop/start. I usually turn it off, but not during my commute, as it's mostly in traffic.

I've wired my A119 into a fuse that is permanent ignition live. I was advised which fuse to use by other owners of the same car where they have had no problems with their cameras.

I'm finding that I lose 6 seconds of footage whenever the car restarts through stop/start.

But worse still, if I've only stopped for a short time, the camera will go into a strange mode:
The REC LED is solid red
The screen stays with the backlight on (settings is to turn off after 30secs)
The camera isn't recording (but isn't beeping, like it should)

This seems to have improved since I've updated to firmware 3.4, but still happens every now and then.

Has anyone had any similar issues with a car with Stop/Start?
Car in question here is a 2017 Ford Mondeo Titanium X Pack 2.0 Ecoboost Auto

As far as I remember on my VW the S&S doesn't cut off power to the cig adapter and the camera stays on.
Try another cable and/or usb adapter (do you have usb power straight on from the car or a usb adapter?)

It's hardwired to a permanent ignition live via the fusebox

Hi, no it's just in the normal recording mode.

It’s possible that, while the fuse you connected it to is always live, it’s voltage dips just enough during these start/stop moments to mess with the camera. Maybe try another fuse.

Hmm I also realized all my dashcams restart when I start my car. But my cameras is connected using Blackvue Power Magic Pro for recording while parking.

Hi Rob

The same thing happens with my Mazda 3GT and has done ever since I got the cam 18 months ago. It seems to be the I-stop start signal that triggers the camera to cycle rather than any voltage drop. After the initial firmware upgrade (from 2.1 to 2,2 if I remember correctly) the camera behaved very reliably (other than losing 6 secs on every I-stop restart) and so I have just ignored it and hope I never have an incident in those few seconds. I am also on firmware v3.4

I used to have a Mini0803 in the same car which didn't have any restart issues with the I-stop but which would not start at all whenever the weather was cold. totally unreliable!

it's not exactly the same thing, but the engine stops and starts all the time in my wife's toyota highlander hybrid. i have no issues with the camera misbehaving when the engine switches on or off. granted, it uses the giant hybrid battery pack to restart the engine, but the car DOES have a standard 12v car battery as well, for running accessories when the ignition is in the accessory position, keep clock/radio memory, and to initially "start" the vehicle.

i second the suggestion to try a different circuit - power windows or sunroof are my preferred circuits since they're key-switched in most cars - and hopefully the voltage drop won't be a problem on those circuits.

remember, even though it's the same make/model as others, each vehicle behaves slightly different due to variations in manufacturing tolerances, the car's battery's health, hardwire kit used, quality of connections for said hardwire kit, and even ambient temperatures. different dashcams behave differently for the same reasons, though different model dashcams will handle momentary voltage drop/loss differently as well. battery-based cams probably don't have any issue with momentary drops, but capacitor-based ones like the a119 don't have a lot of extra power in the caps, so when they see a voltage drop, they immediately go into shutdown mode to make certain that the last file is properly closed. otherwise, that last file will be unreadable. and in a dashcam, the last file is almost always THE most important one.

Hi All.

Thanks for your input.
Since updating to the 3.4 firmware, I've not had the issue of the camera getting into the state of not recording. So I just end up losing 6 seconds on restart.
However, I'm finding I'm driving more in sport at the moment, which automatically disables stop/start!

It's hardwired to the fuse for the drivers window controls. I'm happy to leave it there for now.

Thanks again
Rob

Back