New/Changed since previous models

View attachment 57134
What is the difference between "Parking Mode" and "Parking Guard" in regards to this chart?
I've seen both terms used interchangeably in the past by forum members when describing the same thing(recording when the car is off), but not by an OEM or manufacturer as they usually stick to using the same corporate lingo across their products for "marketing" purposes?

Parking mode seems to be the reference to the mode where parking mode cable is necessary.
Parking guard is new for x7 and mini 2 cams. You can either use the always on outlet or the new OBD cable.
Parking guard cams also support previous gen parking mode cable.
Not confusing at all ;)

Parking guard cams also support previous gen parking mode cable.
So just to be clear since the question has been asked a few times...

1- Can you use the new cams with the old parking cable?
2- Does that automatically give you the same parking function as before, or do you have to adjust settings?

I'd answer myself but I don't have the old parking cable to try. Many thanks for your knowledge and assistance (y)

Phil

I have the Garmin Parking Mode cable (2 for 2 cams) installed.

Using the model 56, while parked, ignition off, the cam records exterior movement in the cams field of view and stores it in a seperate file different than the file of 'ignition on' recording.

Using the model 57, while parked, ignition off, the cam does not record anything unless their is a VERY significant shock/bump/hit/etc. to the vehicle/cam to activate the cams "Parking Guard" recording feature.

As a result of the change in that feature, I removed the model 57 and went back to using the model 56, as I wanted recording of movement around the vehicle regardless of vehicle/cam movement; ie a simple soft lift of the door handle will have recorded the persons approach and departure (in the cameras field of view), but not so with the model 57.

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. No changes in settings necessary. However, as @Gary E pointed out DC57 does not trigger on movement, only impact, which is a bummer IMHO.

I've just bought a 57 to pair with a mini 2 that I've been using for about 6 months along with a gen 1 mini as a front and rear. The mini 2 doesn't get so hot, but it still freezes when you start it from parking mode, which is not uncommon from the research I did. It seems to be related to the voltage drop when starting the engine, which was also the main problem of the g1 mini getting stuck in some processor loop etc. I was running the front off the USB port in my octavia which is ignition switchable (the 12v sockets are always on, so would flatten the battery if I forgot to unplug it each time). The rear I powered from an OBD2 adapter, but I've just found the garmin OBD2 power adapter with two female USB ports, so I'm going to power the new 57 and mini2 from that single source. That's great as I get my android auto back.

Back