New/Changed since previous models

lacibaci

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd like to keep this thread to document things that changed from the previous models.

+ wider (brighter) lens
+ three different ways for enabling parking mode (OBDII cable, permanent power cable and parking mode cable)
+ 1440p recording for parking mode
+ shorter startup time
+ SD card included (16GB)
+ simpler shutdown option when on parking mode cable
+ vault to store your recordings (free for 24 hrs)
+ faster GPS lock at startup
+ support for both GPS and Galileo GNSS
+ red light DB now included in updates

- no motion event detection (just accelerometer) in parking mode
- lower bitrate 21Mbps vs 30Mbps (recording quality unaffected - maybe even slightly better?)

Last edited:
Good info. Thanks,

I would like the shorter startup and faster GPS lock.

I am curious as to how sensitive the accelerometer is. Will it detect bumps from other car doors, etc?
I like the motion event detection on the 56's.

Good info. Thanks,

I would like the shorter startup and faster GPS lock.

I am curious as to how sensitive the accelerometer is. Will it detect bumps from other car doors, etc?
I like the motion event detection on the 56's.
Accelerometer is not that sensitive and sadly there is no adjustment.

I’ve got both a 66w & 67w.. the brighter lens is adjusted in settings - unfortunately it’s pretty poor & whitewashes the image.

Also, the parking cable installed doesn’t work with the 67w (although it states that it does). No idea why as works fine with my 66w, it just doesn’t connect to power & shuts the device down without even draining the device battery first. It’s harder to test with no motion detection as I can’t be in the vehicle as I’ve wired the parking mode from the cars tilt sensor for permanent live, but after about 20 minutes the ‘live view’ feature goes off the app even though car is next to the wifi, and me banging the car windscreen where the mount is records no motion.

They’ve changed the display alert for showing speed camera alerts. It’s less clear than on the 66w which showed more clearly the type of camera it’s detecting, whether fixed or a possible mobile location. It’s very hard to distinguish quickly now.

The 67w buttons feel more plasticky & the removal of motion detection for parking mode seems ridiculous.

The vault only uploads incidents or videos you ask Garmin to save.

All in all a downgrade IMO, I’ll be returning the 67w to buy another 66w.

I also haven’t noticed any difference in camera quality, I know specs are the same but the lens is redesigned - I haven’t been able to do a side by side comparison however - should there be improvements here?

Last edited:
I’ve seen that, but seems changes aren’t mentioned - there’s a physical difference to the camera & visible differences in the only test I can find between the Mini 1 & Mini 2 which also claim no differences - especially during night vision.

The above chart shows the maximum memory GB card size for each camera. The manual simply states 8GB or greater. There is a link to a webpage. But quite frankly there is an economical use of words in the manual! Just say 512GB maximum so it's all there on one page. 512GB in nothing to be ashamed about.

Is the motion recording in parked a firmware issue or hardware?

Also have they changed the way parking mode videos are saved?

Is the motion recording in parked a firmware issue or hardware?

Also have they changed the way parking mode videos are saved?
The hardware is mostly the same (except GNSS) so removing the motion detection was either a change of design or a bug.
No change in the way parking mode videos are saved.

Really liking the "simpler shutdown option when on parking mode cable" improvement. It works like this (parking mode cable required)
1. Shut down the engine
2. Camera will display message that it is about to switch to parking mode
3. You can chose to do nothing (parking mode will be started) or press a button to shut the camera off
4. Next engine start, begins normal recording

Yes, I like those features as well. I am trying out one new 57.

I like the quick startup. A lot faster thatn the 56's.

If you have a remote key fob, as soon as you unlock the car from 20 paces the cameras are ready to go.

The _7 series cameras maybe quicker to fire up but in reality for most cars the camera will be ready before you actually start the car.

If you have a remote key fob, as soon as you unlock the car from 20 paces the cameras are ready to go.

The _7 series cameras maybe quicker to fire up but in reality for most cars the camera will be ready before you actually start the car.
The 57 here doesn't do that.

Depends which of the car's circuit it is wired into. My car, all the accessory circuits turn on. So the three 12v sockets become powered for 2 minutes. If I don't get in the car and or start the car, the accessory circuits turn off after 2 minutes, generally enough for most situations.

Yes, the circuit my two cams are wired to is not FOB activated. Ignition circuit activated, which is fine as they have the parking mode harness.

Has anyone tested the parking mode by rocking the car etc to see if it comes on?

Trying to work out if it works well enough to be useful.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

I found the default setting is not sensitive enough. May have to change it to high.

I found the default setting is not sensitive enough. May have to change it to high.
Worth a try. The specs for 57 say it doesn't need the parking mode cable. I wonder if the cable therefore provides any advantage over relying on battery power.

I've ordered a mini 2 for my rear cam with the parking cable- torn between the 57 and another mini 2 for the front now.

The 57 can be powered in parking mode by your car battery or the cam's internal battery; the latter will result in short recording times. The 57 has a 'timer' for parking mode which can be set to not over-draw from your car battery instead of a voltage-measuring circuit which most HWK's use. My 'g-sensor' when parking didn't activate reliably on high when kicking or shoving my big old work van which is rather heavy, but it did activate when giving the windshield a good slap. Most folks seem to think the 'slap test' replicates someone running into you well- it's something I would rather not find out personally. In a lighter car I think it will prove adequate. I've seen a lot worse! The English climate is mild enough to give you good service from the dashcam battery, but I still recommend supercap-equipped cams as they eliminate the battery problems completely.

Phil

The 57 can be powered in parking mode by your car battery or the cam's internal battery; the latter will result in short recording times. The 57 has a 'timer' for parking mode which can be set to not over-draw from your car battery instead of a voltage-measuring circuit which most HWK's use. My 'g-sensor' when parking didn't activate reliably on high when kicking or shoving my big old work van which is rather heavy, but it did activate when giving the windshield a good slap. Most folks seem to think the 'slap test' replicates someone running into you well- it's something I would rather not find out personally. In a lighter car I think it will prove adequate. I've seen a lot worse! The English climate is mild enough to give you good service from the dashcam battery, but I still recommend supercap-equipped cams as they eliminate the battery problems completely.

Phil
Thanks for such a comprehensive reply Phil.

I've gone for a second mini 2 for the front too- I watched a good review video on YouTube of it this week and it seems the parking mode overheating issue has been solved now. As both have the G sensor now I couldn't see a huge advantage with the 57 apart from the resolution.

Worse case scenario I can upgrade later as hopefully the parking cable will remain current (even though Garmin went for micro usb over USB C?!)

Back