New Dash Cam:

madangrypally

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just purchased my new car and have decided to get a front and rear dash cam. I have been looking online at reviews but am stuck on which to purchase. Can I get some experts on here to point me in the right direction. My ideal budget is not to go over $400 for the setup.

Things that are important to me:
1: Great picture quality during the day that can read license plates. I wont drive much at night but would still like a decent quality night one also.
2: Auto turn on/off when I shut the car off.
3: Good Park mode. Either continues recording or motion detection.
3: WiFi/bluetooth. I want to be able to use my phone with it.
4: Good audio.
5: Not a must but would like it to be able to be rotated in case I get pulled over.
6: Discreet.

Things I will not use:
7: I will not use the GPS and prefer it did not tract my speed.
8: Sensor warning like crossing the line or red light warnings.

Another question. What type of wire kit will I need to purchase extra for both front and rear dash cam. I assume I can not get two front cams and just use one for the back. I am going to have it professional installed (not included in the price above) and want to make sure I have everything together.

1: Can be done providing circumstances are right. ( plates )
2: Thats normal with dashcam.
3: Can be done, but the good ones with this often lack a little in IQ.
4: WIFI for changing settings, and maybe DL a single file now and then.
5: Vary from camera to camera, some have poor audio others are much better.
6: Cameras you can rotate too, normally mean they are on a mount that make them less stealthy, this all depend on the car and the layout it have around / in front of the mirror. I recommend rely on audio alone or use another camera as " evil cop camera"
7: Speed can always be determined from the video footage, so if you speed and crash ( your fault or not ) you can not really use video footage, i recommend use GPS and do your very best to drive within posted speed limits.
8: Current cameras only have LDWS ( Lane Departure Warning ) and phone zoombie warning / FCWS ( Forward Collision Warning ) they often dont work well and people disable them.

Newer cameras can in cases depend on dedicated hard wire kits, so the generic ones that have worked for people for years can not be used with those cameras.
You should only need 1 hard wire kit for a dual channel camera, the rear camera are powered by the main front camera, and relay footage back thru the same wire that also power it.
8.a: you can use 2 single cameras, many of us have done this as "old" dualchannel cameras have been limited in IQ, the new dualchannel dont have to have that limitation.
But getting power all the way out back from a hard wire kit in the front can be problematic, you for sure will want to use the best possible USB cable to not get voltage drop over that long distance.
But otherwise powering 2 cameras off 1 hard wire kit should be possible at least with good models.

The new Street Guardian dual channel camera SG9663DC have most you want ( and best customer care + US warranties 2 years ) aside for:
1: Their hard wire kit are not out yet ( should be soon )
2: Their own app for WIFI control are not done, some 2 party ones can right now be used more or less successful, i have no ETA on the APP from SG them self, the camera also have a little screen so you can do all settings there if needed.

Last edited:
Back