New dash cam

RaybanRJ

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So my RSC nano motion detection just wouldn’t work anymore and the power banks I use to power it all night long in an underground Parkade would be dead by midnight. So I got a Garmin 46 which was pretty tricky to sync with Bluetooth to the iPhone app initially. Finally got it. This dash cam has some nice features but I’m just wondering I never had to set a Wi-Fi password like I did with my nano dash cam so I’m wondering if anybody else has a Garman app would they be able to look at my videos if they are within range LOL.

It has some nice features and I insist on it having motion detection and auto shut off or sleep mode when there’s no motion, again because I run power banks with it every single night.

Some interesting features like Lane detection, forward collision alert and also red light camera warnings, I set the sound to medium and I have no idea what’s gonna happen with this it’ll probably be beeping an insane amount and I won’t know what’s going on. I mounted it right in front of my rearview mirror so that it would be more hidden, this is a very small dash cam, and I can still use the screen if I cram my head under The rearview mirror or if I use the app.

Does anyone else have one? How long have they lasted and have you had any problems?

Guess the big question is does Garmin made good dash cams? I have a one month in store
a4cccd5812453bc554fd8df14405a601.jpg

return policy if there any problems but I’m sure I’ll know by then if it’s OK

505f0187de236c59231bcdf7a7213a79.jpg

7ec2217e916c83e04165e317e96ac7b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling the motion detection might not work because I do not have the professional install for the Parking mode cable that goes right to the car battery. I would hope that’s not the case but it seems to be recording continuously. I will know more tomorrow.

Well Garmin confirmed it for me today by email, only the screen powers off, and not the camera which keep running no matter what. This means this morning there will probably be one very large single video file when I check it, and of course my power bank battery will be completely dead. I’ll probably end up taking it back. So far I can’t find a dash cam as perfect for the price as my RSC nano with motion detection and auto shut off and that will work with any power source.

From Garmin....

Thank you for contacting Garmin Product Support. Thank you for your question. Yes, the dashcam will automatically power off the display after one min if no movement is detected. The camera will not fully power off. Just the display. You do not need to purchase the separate cable for that feature to take effect. I have attached the web version of the instruction manual and the PDF version for you to review the features of the camera. If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email or call us at 800-800-1020.

Owner Manual Web: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/web...C0D-ADE9-4660-A701-25C5135C1EC4-homepage.html

Owner Manual PDF: https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Dash_Cam_46-56-66W_OM_EN-US.pdf

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
Brett
Product Support
Garmin International
For 24-hour access to support videos, manuals, FAQs & more, visit the Support Center.

I am on my second gen Garmin dashcam (DC55 now DC56) Both are in perfect working condition.
I am also happy with parking mode implementation.
Never used BT or Wi-Fi.

Well I took it back. It’s sad when the older dash cam that malfunctions half the time has the features I want, and like I said it has to have motion activation with auto shut off if there’s no motion being detected. I don’t want to hard wire to my car battery so I’ll use the Nano until I can find one with those features

Garmin does have motion detection with timed shutoff but you do have to use the parking mode accessory module.

Garmin does have motion detection with timed shutoff but you do have to use the parking mode accessory module.

Yeah you need their special parking Cable but I don’t want to put it to the car battery. I found that out too late otherwise it was a pretty nice dash cam. The app kept disconnecting so that was kind of the straw that broke the camels back. And since I don’t have a Microsoft computer I need one with Wi-Fi and the app, it works great with the RSC nano no complaints there. The one thing I noticed was the Garmin dash cam didn’t stop Recording this morning from about 8 o’clock or so to 12:15 PM so that was one massive video and if I ever had to find an event like somebody smashing windows which we have had, I would have to sit through the entire video, and I couldn’t figure out the cropping they still make you save about 30 minutes minimum for cropping of any video you can’t make it any shorter so it would just take ages to upload. The thing about the RSC nano is everything is in three minute clips so it uploads quick if you can find the right one and you usually can when it works properly because it shows a screenshot of the motion being detected so that you know which one to click.

Best Buy didn’t have much to choose from everything was pretty much sold out but he were a couple of other choices and they were pretty cheap I didn’t think I wanted to take a chance on them and one of them wasn’t USB so I wouldn’t be able to use my power banks to power all night long
5257a25fc1097ae801f5d558885bea73.jpg

ada03865a05192c4b20df929b886b181.jpg

05892bd51e25e0003879d39d51f21f08.jpg

52a12d37a7577969df89a8bfafc65239.jpg

c32484f0edaa57aec65bd9928faee975.jpg

You have to hard wire just about any dashcam if you want to be able to use parking mode, but some do also support old school 2 wire parking mode, meaning the camera must have power all the time and then it will change to parking mode after a while of no G-sensor action.
But that 2 wire stuff are regarded as flawed and is frowned upon

You have to hard wire just about any dashcam if you want to be able to use parking mode, but some do also support old school 2 wire parking mode, meaning the camera must have power all the time and then it will change to parking mode after a while of no G-sensor action.
But that 2 wire stuff are regarded as flawed and is frowned upon

Oh yeah I realize they need power all the time to sit in motion detection mode or Parking mode and then wake up when There is some activity but the beauty of the RSC nano is it worked that way plugged into the dash cigar lighter or all night long with power banks. The Garman does not give you the option to set a parking mode unless you hardwire it, I watched a couple of videos on this from people that reviewed it and the option doesn’t even show up unless you’re hardwired with the optional car mount cable.

Here is where a guy explains it that you have to have the special cable for Garmin or Park Mode won’t work with set times or auto shut off. Skip to 7:15 .....

Most cars the dash lighter socket are off when the car are not running, but granted some new cars keep it on for many minutes or even all the time.
And thats fine too, but you have no low voltage cut off, so you risk returning to a car that can not start.
But if you have such a always on socket, or use a power bank for power then yes some cameras still have the option of going into parking mode by detecting no action on the G-sensor for some minutes. ( old fashioned 2 wire approach )
But you still dont have any low voltage cut off, unless it is in the car itself ( that might actually happen i assume )
But a lot of cameras dont have that feature anymore so like the Garmin it need a 3 wire hard wire kit and the ACC input on that to tell the camera to go into parking mode.
you can of course run a camera that cant change to parking mode in always record mode if you have the power for it, but thats with the regular high bitrate and temperatures so good weather might push that over the line faster, and if not then memory card use will be higher than it need to be.

I understand not wanting to route wires to the battery, but hard wire kits just piggyback on a couple of the fuses, so unless your car catch fire and evidence of the piggyback fuse adapter still exist, well then it is virtually a tool less thing to plug into the fuses, and only the ground wire do you need to attach some place ( a factory GND point are often found close to the fuse box, but otherwise any screw that connect to the metal of the car will be fine )
The biggest problem with new cars seem to be finding the best fuses to piggy back off, and in the case if Chevy it seem even if you have the correct fuse adapters you still need to trim them a little CUZ Chevy aparently want to use standard fuses minus 0.5 mm.

Most cars the dash lighter socket are off when the car are not running, but granted some new cars keep it on for many minutes or even all the time.
And thats fine too, but you have no low voltage cut off, so you risk returning to a car that can not start.
But if you have such a always on socket, or use a power bank for power then yes some cameras still have the option of going into parking mode by detecting no action on the G-sensor for some minutes. ( old fashioned 2 wire approach )
But you still dont have any low voltage cut off, unless it is in the car itself ( that might actually happen i assume )
But a lot of cameras dont have that feature anymore so like the Garmin it need a 3 wire hard wire kit and the ACC input on that to tell the camera to go into parking mode.
you can of course run a camera that cant change to parking mode in always record mode if you have the power for it, but thats with the regular high bitrate and temperatures so good weather might push that over the line faster, and if not then memory card use will be higher than it need to be.

I understand not wanting to route wires to the battery, but hard wire kits just piggyback on a couple of the fuses, so unless your car catch fire and evidence of the piggyback fuse adapter still exist, well then it is virtually a tool less thing to plug into the fuses, and only the ground wire do you need to attach some place ( a factory GND point are often found close to the fuse box, but otherwise any screw that connect to the metal of the car will be fine )
The biggest problem with new cars seem to be finding the best fuses to piggy back off, and in the case if Chevy it seem even if you have the correct fuse adapters you still need to trim them a little CUZ Chevy aparently want to use standard fuses minus 0.5 mm.

It’s a 2005 Buick Allure CXS with only 32,000 miles or 53,000 kms. But yeah, the socket is hot all the time. Buddy of mine has a newer Buick lacrosse and he actually hates it because the socket powers off after 10 minutes after you shut off the ignition and you can’t even keep one of those electric coolers if you go camping running, but yeah as you say many new cars like my friends Lincoln SUV, he can set it for a certain amount of time before it shuts off and that would be cool.

No this Garman did not have the option to go into a parking mode even while connected to the power socket from the car battery or a power bank unfortunately

Interestingly enough after reinstalling g my old RSC Nano and checking it 6 hours later to swap battery banks it seemed to be working perfectly! I was also surprised that even after completely wiping the RSC app from my iPhone and reinstalling it it’s still remembered the connection and my password.

But we will see

There is a very slight possibility that Viofo may still have one or two of the WR-1 cams laying around in his office or warehouse somewhere- it's the original version of the same cam. It's worth PM'ing him here to find out. Otherwise you may turn one up used somewhere- DCT does have a "Wanted" forum HERE.

Otherwise you have to work with whatever you can get that best suits you. Not the answer I want to give but the only one left that I can see,

Phil

There is a very slight possibility that Viofo may still have one or two of the WR-1 cams laying around in his office or warehouse somewhere- it's the original version of the same cam. It's worth PM'ing him here to find out. Otherwise you may turn one up used somewhere- DCT does have a "Wanted" forum HERE.

Otherwise you have to work with whatever you can get that best suits you. Not the answer I want to give but the only one left that I can see,

Phil

Hey I appreciate that thanks buddy, I’ll just keep on trucking with this older one and sometimes it works with motion sensing and sometimes it doesn’t and it runs flat out but I’ll just use it for now.

A buddy of mine actually bought one because he liked mine so much and I hooked it up for him and now since he switched vehicles and got a new car it’s sitting in his closet, maybe I can convince him to give me his nano LOL

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Giri43 Dash Cam Discussion 0
T Dash Cam Discussion 0
G Dash Cam Discussion 0
I Dash Cam Discussion 6
B Dash Cam Discussion 6
Back