New Dash Cam'er

Kip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
JooVuu X, Shadow GT550WS, Blacksys CF-100 (dead & gone)
Hello from Cumbria, UK :)

Been looking at various dash cams for a while (this place is awesome) and finally decided on a Blacksys CF-100 dual channel with GPS. So far I've fitted the main camera and GPS module to the front windscreen but looking at my cars trim more closely, I might have to rip out a lot to get the rear cam installed cleanly...

We seem to get a lot of tailgaters here so that's my reason for wanting 2-channel so much. I don't speed, so it was never a worry as far as incriminating myself goes with the GPS and its nice to see exactly where you are on a map. This is especially nice if you're on an unfamiliar road or travelling down unnamed country lanes as I do quite a lot. Also, the GPS speed is a bit lower than what's indicated on the speedo. eg. 70mph on speedo = 67mph via GPS

I've tested the cam a few times now in most common weather/lighting conditions and it seems alright. I was expecting better given its a Sony Exmor at the front but maybe I had too high expectations. The footage is nice enough and certainly good enough for its intended purpose of gathering evidence in case of an incident. I notice the 'blockiness' a lot wherever there are trees, which in my case is most roads! This makes catching number plates impossible at times, but sometimes, even at speed, if the footage is clear enough a plate can be captured from passing traffic during the day.

I will run with this cam for maybe a month or so to make sure it works fine, then I'll buy some PlastiDip black and go stealth mod it and the back of my mirror to match (Thank you to @niko who did the tear down on this, will surely help). :) I also need to blacken some interior trim parts which are silver and are reflecting into the footage.

Here's two snapshots from VLC, first one shows the 'blockiness', second is some lorry driver who failed to give a turn signal and just slowed down in front of me. I can just about make out the number plate (the lorry that is, not the one in the blurry shot :p), not sure if that is good or bad at that distance, seems like it should be close enough.
vlcsnap-2016-02-05-13h13m01s206.png vlcsnap-2016-02-05-13h18m49s165.png

I realise the angle should be a bit lower, however, the camera is already angled at its lowest point! My car (a Peugeot 207sw) seems to have quite a slope to the windscreen.

Welcome to DCT forum !

Hello @Kip
Nice choice. The CF-100 is a great camera for the price.
Stay safe out there.

Back