New Dashcam coming up?

still using batteries in the cameras, they're slow to catch on
There is no way a capacitor can perform better than a battery for current storage, size is a limiting factor for a capacitor,.

It is a matter of heat tolerance in regard to battery / capacitor question, the cameras that do have a battery it is mopst often very small. like under 400 mah, and that will not let you film for long.

The power source are just there to finalize current recording in case of a violent event where power accidental or automatic will get cut, if the power source was not there that file will be corrupted and unplayable in most cases.

It is a matter of heat tolerance in regard to battery / capacitor question, the cameras that do have a battery it is mopst often very small. like under 400 mah, and that will not let you film for long.

The power source are just there to finalize current recording in case of a violent event where power accidental or automatic will get cut, if the power source was not there that file will be corrupted and unplayable in most cases.
You could never use a capacitor for parking mode recording as you could not store sufficient current in the capacitor for even one minute recording.

Indeed for any dashcam you need a hard wire kit to do that, connected to either a fuse / fuses in your fuse box and so your car battery, of one of the dedicated dashcam power packs using lifepo batteries.
No dashcam i have heard off in the past 10 years have a build in power source sufficient to do meaningful parking guard ( > 30 minutes )
Personally i use 1 hour on the in camera timer as that cover all my shopping, and at home i have CCTV camera on my parked car as it is in a dimly lit back yard, the + being my CCTV system have smart AI motion detect so i only get notification on my phone and tablet if anything human orr vehicle shaped come within 1 M of my car.
And my PTZ camera are zoomed in on my car, so i have a reasonable chance of identifying what ever go on there, the camera is 20 - 25 M from the car, so anything wide angle like adashcam, well it would just see " something" near my car.
The camera i use have 20 X optical zoom, and i am zoomed in to 7 i think, can just see my car and very little around it so it is only when people / something are danger closed i get one of the notifications ( which i do hate so much no matter what kind of notification it is )

A dashcam in parking mode would not be of any use in the back yard, even if the PIR sensor light there come on as all it would do i back light anyone approaching my car.

You could never use a capacitor for parking mode recording as you could not store sufficient current in the capacitor for even one minute recording.

Batteries have several downtimes.

1. Less heat tolerant. Your car gets hot as hell, and batteries expand over time.
2. Lipo Batteries wear and fail. See above.
3. Supercapacitors are heat resistant, and have a much longer shelf life under optimal conditions.

There is no way a capacitor can perform better than a battery for current storage, size is a limiting factor for a capacitor,.

Capacitors in dashcams are only intended to keep the camera running for a few seconds after the engine is switched off (or some other event causes loss of power, such as an accident). This is enough time for the dashcam to close the file currently being recorded, then shut down properly.

Capacitors in dashcams are only intended to keep the camera running for a few seconds after the engine is switched off (or some other event causes loss of power, such as an accident). This is enough time for the dashcam to close the file currently being recorded, then shut down properly.
Hence the need for a battery for the parking mode.

Again, the point of a battery or supercapacitor is to allow the camera a few seconds to properly close out the last file being written after power is cut.

1. Batteries (LiPo) expand over time. Are not heat resistant. Lose charging capacity.
2. Supercapacitor is heat resistant. Doesn't lose capacity. Is a longer life solution.

So why a battery? Both do the same one, but one (Supercapacitor) is better than the other (Battery).

Indeed. But for that, you can use the car battery, rather than rely on a small battery in the camera.

Indeed. But for that, you can use the car battery, rather than rely on a small battery in the camera.
Only if the owner utilizes the separately purchased optional parking mode cable.

The Garmin 57 does parking mode from it's internal battery as did some older Nextbase cams. The NB didn't work too well and Garmin notes that battery wear will reduce parking time. I didn't test my 57 this way since anyone serious about parking protection really needs something better than an in-cam battery for power.

Phil

The Garmin 57 does parking mode from it's internal battery as did some older Nextbase cams. The NB didn't work too well and Garmin notes that battery wear will reduce parking time. I didn't test my 57 this way since anyone serious about parking protection really needs something better than an in-cam battery for power.

Phil

I would guess a battery solution for parking mode used motion detection as a means to record. Since continuous recording would drain the battery quickly. Likewise, as motion detection isn't the most reliable, I still foresee the camera getting triggered and the battery charge wearing down quickly.

So yes, a hardwire or battery pack (not LiPO internal battery) are the optimal means for parking mode as discussed.

I would guess a battery solution for parking mode used motion detection as a means to record. Since continuous recording would drain the battery quickly. Likewise, as motion detection isn't the most reliable, I still foresee the camera getting triggered and the battery charge wearing down quickly.

So yes, a hardwire or battery pack (not LiPO internal battery) are the optimal means for parking mode as discussed.
The model 56 has vicinity motion detection and is very reliable on the two that I utilize. The model 57 only has shock detection and didn't work very well.. After testing the 57, I went back to using the 56's.

The model 56 has vicinity motion detection and is very reliable on the two that I utilize. The model 57 only has shock detection and didn't work very well.. After testing the 57, I went back to using the 56's.

The point remains is an internal battery is a lesser means of handling parking mode. No high level model dashcams will utilize a battery. Again, they wear, expand, are less heat resistant, etc.

A supercap will work in the coldest of cold and warmest of warm. It's how these cameras get like a -10C to 60C operating parameter.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wildgoose1uk Dash Cam 47 / 57 / 67W 1
lacibaci Dash Cam 47 / 57 / 67W 6