New DJI Action cam (small form factor) perfect for dashcam use

jsan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Has anyone here seen the new DJI Action cam that is about to be released? It's looks like GoPro sessions camera but with GoPro 10 hardware.

I've tried for years to use the GoPro as a dashcam but it hasn't worked. Now with this DJI Action cam, I'm hoping that it has the capability to be used as a dashcam. Just need power on to record, power off to stop record and looped recording.

I have a vivo 4k dashcam but I prefer to have a dashcam with top video quality as I like to edit together videos of trips and I go though a lot of sceneic routes and having a top quality dashcam would be awesome.

Action camera used as a dashcams are rather meaningless
1) High cost, big footprint: big attraction to thieves
2) overheating
3) wide lens

There are so many options nowadays, not needed to spend over 400$ for a non capacitor action camera.

Action camera used as a dashcams are rather meaningless
1) High cost, big footprint: big attraction to thieves
2) overheating
3) wide lens

There are so many options nowadays, not needed to spend over 400$ for a non capacitor action camera.

No super-capacitor option is a major drawback.

Judging by the leaks i have seen, as a owner of the old OA camera i see absolutely no reason to upgrade, granted the tech specs are upped some, but the form factor are just not what i would be looking for.
Actually i think if anything i would have to go for a regular camcorder, or maybe a dslr that will allow for both video and photo capture.

If the new Action can stand the heat of prolonged recording, and using its higher resolution you could crop your way out of having A pillars and dash in the footage, if you are into cinematic drive video making.
But as a dashcam it will not be any good, as there are better dedicated cameras for that particular job.

I have recorded longer driver ( 40 minutes or so ) using my osmo action camera but in time / hyper lapse and regular footage, and it did not cough out on me.

You also have to remember a camera like that will make 4 - 5 X larger files, so it would just burn thru a 256GB memory card, unlike say a 4K dashcam that have a significant lower bitrate.

If you are into sceenic drive video making, then use a camera with a higher bitrate will be much better than a dashcam that are held back in some areas, but i would still have a regular dashcam for sure for my day 2 day driving.
IMO sceenic drive videos can not have a pillars or dashboard in the footage, so you need a lesser FOV possible even a optical zoom.

American roads on youtube use a camcorder for his videos, he do a good job at that kind of videos.

If you are into sceenic drive video making, then use a camera with a higher bitrate will be much better than a dashcam that are held back in some areas, but i would still have a regular dashcam for sure for my day 2 day driving.
IMO sceenic drive videos can not have a pillars or dashboard in the footage, so you need a lesser FOV possible even a optical zoom.

American roads on youtube use a camcorder for his videos, he do a good job at that kind of videos.
..and would be better to put the camera outside, to avoid reflections

That would be good for cooling too of a high performance camera.

Looks good, can't wait to get one

Back