New Firefly 6s won't turn on properly

WestCoastin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

Just received my Firefly 6s (ordered through Banggood.com) in the mail yesterday afternoon, only to be disappointed by a defective unit. I've tried everything I can think of to get it working, but nothings changed. Initially charged it a couple hours (then overnight), tried updating the firmware, used different micro SD cards, etc. The battery appears to be working, as it seems to hold a charge. But the only thing I can get it to do is display the Firefly logo for a brief second after holding down the power button for 3 seconds (turning it off), and then pressing it again for a quick second (turning it on). Has anyone had a similar issue?

I've contacted customer support at Banggood about the issue, but haven't heard back yet. Hopefully it can be resolved quickly.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo.JPG

Just press for a second to start.
If you keep pressing, it may cycle back to power off.

Thanks for the quick reply.

That's the weird thing about it; I would have figured that it maybe has a broken LCD screen. But the logo flashes on when it's powered up, then just stays blank.

What FW do you have?
Try resetting the camera.

I've tried both versions 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 of the firmware. Just installed 2.3 again, the light blinks as it updates and reboots, but the screen stays blank the entire time with no change after. Is there a way to do a factory/hard reset?

Last edited:
Make sure that you are upgrading firmware with 16gb or less capacity card, it won't work on 32gb or 64gb in most cases.

Make sure that you are upgrading firmware with 16gb or less capacity card, it won't work on 32gb or 64gb in most cases.
Works fine from 32gb card.

I've tried with a 2gb and a 64gb so far.

Not sure if it's related or not, but I can't find the camera anywhere in my device manager when plugged in via usb. Charge light comes on though. I've tried several cables and three different computers, with no luck.

Edit: Just tried with a brand new class 10 16 gb, and still no change.

Last edited:
Maybe the cable is for charging only.
Does it show drive when you plug in your phone with that cable?

I have an iphone, so no micro usb. But I have two external hard drives that connect with no issues, even using the cable that came with the camera. I'm pretty stumped.

I have an iphone, so no micro usb. But I have two external hard drives that connect with no issues, even using the cable that came with the camera. I'm pretty stumped.
When you connect the cable, it should prompt you to use as storage or webcam or was it different camera?
I don't have it with me to check that but if it gives options, select mass storage.

When I connect the camera (with every cable I've tried), nothing happens but the blue charge light turning on. I made sure to plug it in when the camera should be "on", but I've tried with it off as well (then turning it on plugged in etc).

Ugh, just turned on mine after a while, it has exactly the same issue. I contacted factory, so let's see what they have to say.

It was working okay, but after 2.3 everything got messed up. I do not recall having such issue on 2.2, after reverting back to 2.2 issue remains.
I'll let you know if I manage to fix it.

Here is what manufacturer told me :

NOTE : Use this at your own risk.

"Thank you for emailing us about the problem.
The problem WestCoastin has with his Firefly 6S might be caused by poor contact of the wires between the lens module and the PCB. He can contact his direct supplier for an exchange or other after-sale services.
Regarding your problem of Firefly 6S, please first try the following method:
1.Download the attached firmware package.
2.Extract the files to the root directory of the TF card and insert the card into your camera.
3.Turn on the camera for the first time, and then turn it off. Turn it on again and now the camera will enter auto updating status.
4.When the update is finished, the camera will restart by itself.
5. At last delete the files saved on the TF card."

I uploaded files they sent me in email. http://www.filedropper.com/firefly6sfirmware

Both files should be on a memory card according to manufacturer.

Unfortunately, prior to receiving this email I tried something similar but with files SJ4000+ files, same loader file, and I completely killed mine, it won't even turn on, I'll probably use it for parts, the customs I paid for it, is just not worth another shipping/return for me.

Last edited:
@Pavle
What version is that fw they sent?

No idea, that's what I wanted to know, but my camera died so...

There are few threads here on how to unbrick a camera.
Maybe worth a try.

I don't think it is returnable after messing with wrong firmware.
It's user error.

Hi Palve
I just receive my firefly 6s after fw 2.3update I can not run it up please I need manufacturer files de send to you and thier adresse so I can contact them is very dificult for me I'm in Cameroon please I'm waiting I hop this files will fix my probleme

Hello,

Is there someone who have this service firmware and can upload it here?

Back