New Firmware 2.0

tartantopgun

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I noticed today that there was a firmware update for the DR650GW 1Ch Blackvue. I downloaded and installed with no issues.... until I tried to connect my Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi was syncing on my phone but it would not let me into the blackvue to review files. So I pissed about with this thing for hours trying everything to get it to work with no joy. I said stuff it and downgraded back to 1.0.0.2 and lo and behold, Wi-Fi is back.

So it looks like a dodgy firmware.

I noticed today that there was a firmware update for the DR650GW 1Ch Blackvue. I downloaded and installed with no issues.... until I tried to connect my Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi was syncing on my phone but it would not let me into the blackvue to review files. So I pissed about with this thing for hours trying everything to get it to work with no joy. I said stuff it and downgraded back to 1.0.0.2 and lo and behold, Wi-Fi is back.

So it looks like a dodgy firmware.

We have not officially released BlackVue Cloud in Australia.

Please use 1.009V Firmware for the time being. Version 2.000 is only for Cloud capability.

This has been done by Pittasoft Korea and is out of our control.

This is the DR650GW 1Ch forum. I have a 1ch not a 2 ch.

I looked on the blackvue app on my iPhone and selected my 1ch camera and it has the 2.0 firmware available without any notes regarding system availability for cloud.

Sorry about that, you're right I missed the forum category.

2.0 Firmware is for the Cloud, and you do not need to upgrade from 1.002 if you don't plan on using the Cloud service.

Thank you,

From "someplace" I D/L ed version 2 dr650gw-1ch_v2.000_eng_windows.zip it comes with a "How to upgrade Firmware.txt" file the contents of which follow:
  • 0. Access to BlackVue homepage(www.blackvue.com) and Check the newest firmware version in ¡°Download¡± Page.

1. Download newest firmware file. (completed)

2. Insert the SD card you wish to use for the upgrade into the PC.

3. Format the SD card completely to delete all data from the card. (Please ensure you have backed up any footage needed.)

4. Copy the 'BlackVue' folder you have unzipped onto the SD card.

5. Insert SD card to BlackVue device and turn on the camera for upgrading firmware.
    (Please do not turn off the power during the firmware upgrading and you will have message when upgrading is completed.)

CAUTION : The SD card should be formatted in FAT 32 format and BlackVue PC viewer(Windows/Mac) support proper format the SD card in FAT32 format. And 64GB SD card must be formatted on Blackvue PC viewer(Windows/Mac) for proper operation.

Please note, If you require the latest viewing software simply access the 'BlackVue' folder you downloaded and go into :

Windows: BlackVue > Software > Windows > BlackVueSetup

Mac: BlackVue > Application > Viewer for Mac > BlackVue Viewer

If further assistance is required please contact local BlackVue distributor.
There is no mention of any "cloud" The config.ini file though has a reference to a cloud with
  • [Cloud]
    CloudService=1
    sta_ssid=
    sta_pw=
The included viewer is still BlackVueSetup(HD)E_2.43.exe which I believe is the same as the original that came with my 650 1ch.
Given the apparent screwed up roll out of version 2 I think I will wait a few days and perhaps they will get their act together or someone will provide more clarity.

From "someplace" I D/L ed version 2 dr650gw-1ch_v2.000_eng_windows.zip it comes with a "How to upgrade Firmware.txt" file the contents of which follow:
  • 0. Access to BlackVue homepage(www.blackvue.com) and Check the newest firmware version in ¡°Download¡± Page.

1. Download newest firmware file. (completed)

2. Insert the SD card you wish to use for the upgrade into the PC.

3. Format the SD card completely to delete all data from the card. (Please ensure you have backed up any footage needed.)

4. Copy the 'BlackVue' folder you have unzipped onto the SD card.

5. Insert SD card to BlackVue device and turn on the camera for upgrading firmware.
    (Please do not turn off the power during the firmware upgrading and you will have message when upgrading is completed.)

CAUTION : The SD card should be formatted in FAT 32 format and BlackVue PC viewer(Windows/Mac) support proper format the SD card in FAT32 format. And 64GB SD card must be formatted on Blackvue PC viewer(Windows/Mac) for proper operation.

Please note, If you require the latest viewing software simply access the 'BlackVue' folder you downloaded and go into :

Windows: BlackVue > Software > Windows > BlackVueSetup

Mac: BlackVue > Application > Viewer for Mac > BlackVue Viewer

If further assistance is required please contact local BlackVue distributor.
There is no mention of any "cloud" The config.ini file though has a reference to a cloud with
  • [Cloud]
    CloudService=1
    sta_ssid=
    sta_pw=
The included viewer is still BlackVueSetup(HD)E_2.43.exe which I believe is the same as the original that came with my 650 1ch.
Given the apparent screwed up roll out of version 2 I think I will wait a few days and perhaps they will get their act together or someone will provide more clarity.

Straight from the BlackVue website:
http://www.blackvue.com/support/downloads/

BlackVue DR650GW-1CH (v.2.000_2015.10.15)

WHAT’S NEW:
Firmware compatible with the Cloud service – BlackVue Over the Cloud. Refer to the table for a comparison with the previous version (v1.002)

We are not BlackVue Korea and are just trying to help settle any confusion. But if you want to speak with Pittasoft directly their email is as@pittasoft.com or sales@pittasoft.com also you can contact your dealer in Canada over the phone for more clarity.

Version 2 is for the Cloud service, if you are not going to be using the Cloud there is no need to change your firmware.

It "might" be beneficial if there was some sort of description of just what that "Cloud Service" option means.. costs.. access.. availability. This "cloud" to be hosted by BlackVue or find my own cloud? There are still some of us that think "cloud" is where we get rain from.
And.. I may be mistaken but comparing features to v1.002 ?? are we not up to a later version, should we not be comparing to that.

It "might" be beneficial if there was some sort of description of just what that "Cloud Service" option means.. costs.. access.. availability. This "cloud" to be hosted by BlackVue or find my own cloud? There are still some of us that think "cloud" is where we get rain from.

http://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/

But yes if you want to relay your concerns to the manufacturer you have their email above.

I've noticed that Firmware version 2.001 has been released. Don't download it - it's crap ! How anything like this could be released into production is beyond me - it clearly shows this company doesn't test their products before releasing them.

There is a big problem in that when you connect to the Camera via WiFi from the iPhone, you can not configure any of the settings on the Camera. You get up a menu of 4 major config areas that come up on the iPhone – when you try to click/press on any of those sub menu’s, they do absolutely nothing.

I'm just about ready to send this camera back and buy another brand.

I've noticed that Firmware version 2.001 has been released. Don't download it - it's crap ! How anything like this could be released into production is beyond me - it clearly shows this company doesn't test their products before releasing them.

There is a big problem in that when you connect to the Camera via WiFi from the iPhone, you can not configure any of the settings on the Camera. You get up a menu of 4 major config areas that come up on the iPhone – when you try to click/press on any of those sub menu’s, they do absolutely nothing.

I'm just about ready to send this camera back and buy another brand.

Hi there Fergus, welcome to DCT.

We have not officially released this firmware to our Australian customers but it is available to download from Pittasoft directly. Are you wanting to actually use the Cloud service? If not it is recommended to downgrade the firmware to 1.002 as this firmware is stable and working all correct.

Thank you

Thankyou for your reply. I do not want to use the Cloud service but version 2.001 introduces an improvement to the WiFi connect speed. Is that fix also in 1.002 ?

I also logged a support call to Pittasoft and they told me to upgrade to 2.001

Have you tried the upgrade to 2.001 to verify the problem I have reported ? When international companies release new updates on Global websites, they have to expect that customers will upgrade to such releases unless they specifically mention that it is not suitable for a particular market. The nature of the problem I have reported will affect everyone who tries this release regardless of which country they are in, so I cannot see how a bug like this could be released into ANY market.

Thankyou for your reply. I do not want to use the Cloud service but version 2.001 introduces an improvement to the WiFi connect speed. Is that fix also in 1.002 ?.

is it the connect speed or transfer speed that has improved, someone mentioned the bitrate was lower which would aid in transfer speed

No it's the connect speed. When you go to pair the phone to the Camera, it establishes the connection a lot faster. This also is the case if you try to do a live view. The only issue with 2.001 is that when you go into the configuration menu on the phone to set up the various settings (eg Speed alert @ 110km etc etc), the first menu comes up with 4 main configuration areas but you cannot enter any of these config areas. It almost looks like they forgot to create the code to allow the user to set these settings up. If you instead go into the configuration on the "PC" application (by taking the memory card out of the camera), then you can see all the settings. It's just that you can't do it on the phone. (This worked fine in version 2.000). Ofcourse it is highly impractical to take the memory card out of the camera every time you want to make a config change.
Ofcourse this bug "might" be in the iPhone App and not the actual firmware itself, but ofcourse the two work hand in hand.

Ofcourse this bug "might" be in the iPhone App and not the actual firmware itself, but ofcourse the two work hand in hand.

perhaps there's an update for the phone due also, Apple are not the most predictable when it comes to the approval process and delays happen

There was a new iPhone App released & published in the App Store yesterday ("BlackVue C") (Dec 9th) with the stipulation that it was required for version 2.001 Firmware. It is this version of the App that has the problem I have reported.

Thankyou for your reply. I do not want to use the Cloud service but version 2.001 introduces an improvement to the WiFi connect speed. Is that fix also in 1.002 ?

I also logged a support call to Pittasoft and they told me to upgrade to 2.001

Have you tried the upgrade to 2.001 to verify the problem I have reported ? When international companies release new updates on Global websites, they have to expect that customers will upgrade to such releases unless they specifically mention that it is not suitable for a particular market. The nature of the problem I have reported will affect everyone who tries this release regardless of which country they are in, so I cannot see how a bug like this could be released into ANY market.

Hello, we can report your issue back to Pittasoft. Please understand the software release is out of our control. If possible, can you please email us at sales@blackvue.com.au with your details and place of purchase. We will assist you best we can. Thank you

Back