New Firmware for 808 #18 DR32

Re: The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

gobbertinker said:
sludgeguts said:
My email came in at 13:31 & I've been trying to upgrade ever since (a lovely way to spend your day off?)
When I enter playback mode & press the menu/up keys, all I get is the highlighted bar scrolling through the "play all/locked" selections - and with the 'beep' switched on, it gets annoying after many seconds (their instructions said 'firmware upgrade' comes up after 5 seconds!)
1.5 hours of trying every permutation af adding the file, resetting, formatting etc. :x

At first I was holding the RED button and up arrow, you have to make sure you are holding the MENU (not the red button) button and the up arrow, when the red light comes on you can let go of the buttons and wait for the red light to go out and the screen will read "firmware update complete".

I know. I've even tried pressing the menu button right at the left hand edge with my thumbnail & pressing the 'up' button with my thumbnail.
Bloody thing simply scrolls between play all and play locked :x

sludgeguts said:
gobbertinker said:
sludgeguts said:
My email came in at 13:31 & I've been trying to upgrade ever since (a lovely way to spend your day off?)
When I enter playback mode & press the menu/up keys, all I get is the highlighted bar scrolling through the "play all/locked" selections - and with the 'beep' switched on, it gets annoying after many seconds (their instructions said 'firmware upgrade' comes up after 5 seconds!)
1.5 hours of trying every permutation af adding the file, resetting, formatting etc. :x

At first I was holding the RED button and up arrow, you have to make sure you are holding the MENU (not the red button) button and the up arrow, when the red light comes on you can let go of the buttons and wait for the red light to go out and the screen will read "firmware update complete".

I know. I've even tried pressing the menu button right at the left hand edge with my thumbnail & pressing the 'up' button with my thumbnail.
Bloody thing simply scrolls between play all and play locked :x

At first I was holding the RED button and up arrow, you have to make sure you are holding the MENU (not the red button) button and the up arrow, when the red light comes on you can let go of the buttons and wait for the red light to go out and the screen will read "firmware update complete".[/quote]

Bloody thing simply scrolls between play all and play locked :x[/quote][/quote]

You must first get to the playback mode and then press both buttons at the SAMETIME. If you've done that try resseting it first.

Mikk36 said:
Anyway,
Does anyone care to try this out?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... 20Card.doc
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/542 ... pgrade.rar

That's straight from the Hetai customer support. Can't test it out myself yet, since my camera is in my car, which is getting repairs at least until next week.

OK, clutching at straws here since the bloody thing won't upgrade the firmware (can you tell how peed off I'm getting?) but the file they sent is called "DR32_FW2013 04 19-1_SD Upgrade.rar" - just as in the dropbox file (above). Now, the instructions they sent along with this file tells me to "2. Save DR_32.BRN in the Micro SD Card." I'm saving a .rar file to the card but the instructions say to save a .brn. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by a moderator:

It's stored inside a rar file to make sure that you get an undamaged firmware file. If the rar file is damaged, it will not let you unpack.

jokiin said:
extract the rar file first

Nothing in the instructions tells you to do this - how am I supposed to know this, I'm not a mind reader.

Mikk36 said:
Jazzist said:
Can anyone tell me if the on/off switch on this camera does anything?
When in Off mode, it instructs on the screen to turn the switch to On mode. Doesn't it do that for you?
No doesn't do anything.

sludgeguts said:
jokiin said:

Nothing in the instructions tells you to do this - how am I supposed to know this, I'm not a mind reader.
Use something like jzip to extract it.

sludgeguts said:
jokiin said:

Yeah, that could be mentioned in the instructions, although most avid computer users usually recognize this and know what do with it.
My voice goes to 7zip, if you lack WinRAR.

Edit: the second step in the instructions say this:
2. Save DR_32.BRN in the Micro SD Card.
If you have put the .rar there, you have not followed the instructions.

Yeah, unfortunately the first post about the firmware update wasn't mine.

enjoy,
Mtz

Hi

Well when driving the audio output was really crap! Using the graphic equaliser in VLC it appeared to be all low frequency sound, but I could not hear excessive lf audio in the car.

Have just seen the firmware upgrade, Have started it and the DR32 display is showing "firmware upgrade" and the red led is slowly blinking.

Unfortunately this has been going on for getting on for 5 minutes now!!!

Does any one know how long the upgrade takes?

Please

P

Mtz said:
Yeah, unfortunately the first post about the firmware update wasn't mine.

enjoy,
Mtz
Both yours and the original state that you have to put the .brn file on the SD card.

Jazzist said:
Mikk36 said:
Jazzist said:
Can anyone tell me if the on/off switch on this camera does anything?
When in Off mode, it instructs on the screen to turn the switch to On mode. Doesn't it do that for you?
No doesn't do anything.
Does the switch do anything for anyone else? Did they break this in the new firmware? Mine is always on.
Thanks.

Mikk36 said:
sludgeguts said:
jokiin said:

Yeah, that could be mentioned in the instructions, although most avid computer users usually recognize this and know what do with it.
My voice goes to 7zip, if you lack WinRAR.

Edit: the second step in the instructions say this:
2. Save DR_32.BRN in the Micro SD Card.
If you have put the .rar there, you have not followed the instructions.
2eggsMEx_0002web.jpg

OK, so I'm making an omelette & the instructions say to put 2 eggs into a bowl ...
I don't think I have come across .rar files before - however, I now know that it's not so much a file as a container used to transport a file.

Managed to 'unpack the file' (thanks for the info btw) & have done another run over identical ground.
Here's the footage before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnjmqEGgVmI

And after
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTXxtNRlQ7o

It's worlds apart in terms of sound quality.
Both recorded in 1080p@30fps, both uploaded from the same software. So no matter what trimming goes on, the same trimming should apply to both clips.

FIRMWARE UPDATE

The firmware update is still proceeding, (or not as the case may be)!

I put the file DR_32.brn into the root of the SDcard, as shown in the word doc that was with the firmware file.

DR_32.brn, is R/W and executable.

My file is 4259840 bytes in size.

I have followed the instructions in the doc file .

I get the screen showing "firmware update" and the red led flashing about twice a second. but it never completes.

I did a resete, and the DR32 reverted to its original state and worked OK, (BIG sigh of relief!) So I assume it could not find the new firmware file and was just sitting there waiting.

From my previous experience of flashing firmware, it is normal to put the firmware onto the root of an EMPTY card, with nothing else present, however the DR32 instructions specifically state to put it onto a DR32 formatted card, complete with the normal file stucture.

How do I communicate my problems and ask WTF is happening to the manufacturer?

thanks

P

Does the update include any other functionality, other than the sound fix?

Is there a way to backup the existing firmware, in case we want to go back?

Flashed with the new firmware, sound is a lot better now. Still some clipping in the audio track but at least now it's usable.
If you want to hear/see the difference between old and new firmware, I posted it on a temporary blog http://techbraky.blogspot.be

Back