New Firmware for 808 #18 DR32

Re: The new 808 #18 DR32 Car Camera

SUCCESS !!!

For other people.

Although the 8GB Class 10 SD card I had put the firmware update on had been working OK in the camera, recording OK that is, I could not update the firmware using it, retried the operation multiple times from the start including dling the rar again.

I put a 32 GB class 10 in the DR32, formatted it, checked it was recording, pressed the buttons as before.

After a few minutres of the usual "firmware Update" and blinking led, the led went out and the message "press reset" appeared.

I did so and it appears to be working now. I will try it out tomorrow in the car.

Either the update is very flakey or the card has to be good in sertain areas ??

cheers

Patrick

superpat said:
FIRMWARE UPDATE

The firmware update is still proceeding, (or not as the case may be)!

I put the file DR_32.brn into the root of the SDcard, as shown in the word doc that was with the firmware file.

DR_32.brn, is R/W and executable.

My file is 4259840 bytes in size.

I have followed the instructions in the doc file .

I get the screen showing "firmware update" and the red led flashing about twice a second. but it never completes.

I did a resete, and the DR32 reverted to its original state and worked OK, (BIG sigh of relief!) So I assume it could not find the new firmware file and was just sitting there waiting.

From my previous experience of flashing firmware, it is normal to put the firmware onto the root of an EMPTY card, with nothing else present, however the DR32 instructions specifically state to put it onto a DR32 formatted card, complete with the normal file stucture.

How do I communicate my problems and ask WTF is happening to the manufacturer?

thanks

P

I don't know if this makes a difference but I noticed a temp file in the root that has been there since I unpacked the camera. Yes the card must be formatted before you can update from it. The update took less than a minute to complete, are you holding the buttons while it is updating?. I just simply pressed the buttons and them depressed them while it did the update, I actually walked away from the camera while it was doing the update.

Has anyone tried opening the firmware on a computer to see if it is editable.

gobbertinker said:

I opened the .brn file in notepad, it's kind of funny but seems to have a lot of info in it. So we all have the update but no one has really stated whether or not it's satisfactory, I believe there is room for improvement. What do the rest of you think at this point, Please post>

gobbertinker said:
gobbertinker said:

I opened the .brn file in notepad, it's kind of funny but seems to have a lot of info in it. So we all have the update but no one has really stated whether or not it's satisfactory, I believe there is room for improvement. What do the rest of you think at this point, Please post>
Judging by the comments here and the analysis done by some (with proof) it appears that yes, there is still room for improvement.

gobbertinker said:
gobbertinker said:

I posted links showing before and after update. Whilst the update is poles apart, I believe the sound quality still has a way to go before it matches that of the techmoan review & the footage in the advert.

jokiin said:
Mtz said:
After 1 May 2013 the price of the camera will increase to $140. You can check this on ebay sellers.

enjoy,
Mtz

that seems more realistic, can't imagine anyone's making much money at the current prices

Jokiin - is the firmware being worked one to further improve the audio issue!

gobbertinker said:
Jokiin - is the firmware being worked one to further improve the audio issue!

no idea, this is not my product

let them know if there's still problems though, you'd be surprised how often software engineers don't actually get told about a problem, if they aren't made aware a fix will never happen

Glad to hear the new firmware somewhat improves the audio. I split this into a new topic to make it easier to find.

Same here, the firmware fixed my audio issue. Realistically, at this price point, I have no major complaints. Are there things that can be improved (color smearing, low light lens flares, audio fidelity)? Sure. But for me, this now functions acceptably as a Car DVR, and even better for the price point.

I appreciate all the interaction in this thread to help resolve these issues. Thanks!

Hi,
I just purchased and received 2 of the DR32 dash cams from ebay. Right off i had the same audio issues that's been discussed and just updated the firmware from the links here on the forum.
The sound is much better now then it was when i received these camera's.
A few points after using this dash-cam all day and tonight.
Daytime video on all resolutions and fps is really great.
Night time video on any settings that are 30fps does very well.
Night time video on the 720/60fps is so dark its almost unusable.
I have tried the EV settings on all resolutions and frame-rates and it would appear that the EV settings do not make any difference on either camera.
I will post more updates as i use this DR32 Dash-cam more and will try and answer any questions you have as best as possible.

HI,

Just did a road test

Much better but not correct.

They have appeared to reduce audio levels, turning the sound volume up to hear recording shows the lf noise,

it is very peculiar, noise only occurs when car is moving, it does not appear to get louder when the car is travelling faster.

marks about 5 /10 !

Here is a clip of the DR32 with new firmware:-

http://www.filefactory.com/file/66lrhjd ... IP0009.AVI

chhers

P

Last edited by a moderator:
superpat said:
HI,

Just did a road test

They have appeared to reduce audio levels, turning the sound volume up to hear recording shows the lf noise,

it is very peculiar, noise only occurs when car is moving, it does not appear to get louder when the car is travelling faster.

marks about 5 /10 !

chhers

P

Correct me if I'm wrong, it's seems that you have to have a paid account to use File Factory.

gobbertinker said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, it's seems that you have to have a paid account to use File Factory.
Scroll to the bottom of the page, where you see a red sign saying "Slow download". That one is free.

Hi

I am revising my opinion of the new firmware!

I have just looked and listened to the all videos I took with the new firmware DR32 this morning.

I think they have fixed the main audio problem, there are quite long periods on the recordings where there is no "interference" or low frequency noise, (providing the road surface is very smooth).

However there is still a problem in that the the camera is VERY sensitive to vibration from road surface irregularities. (At the moment I am using a mini suction mount, very short leg.)

Unfortunately where I live in rural Hampshire most of the roads are full or potholes and bad surfaces.

If I look and listen to a clip that is taken on a smooth road surface the audo is perfect quiet with no low frequency "growl", except for short blips of noise as we passed over rough bits in the tarmac. I can see the car dip and rise as we hit the hole and the audio produces a short series LF thumps in sync.

There is one section of road which was constructed cheaply, with masses of tree roots under the road, along its length, which gives it a "washboard" surface to the tarmac. The audio from the DR32 over this section is a continous roar of LF noise.

It would be very possible to isolate the DR32 from mechanical vibrations with a shock mount, but of course that could well screw up any G-shock locking of a video.

Sometimes there is also noise of the audio track when pulling away, which stops when the throttle is relaxed. ( Megane with common rail diesel ) so there is no ignition, but there is a pump to pump the diesel fuel around the rail, and electronic valves in the injectors. But it doesn't seem to occur all the time, so I am wondering if again it is audio noise from the engine resonating in the DR32 or the mounting system.

I think my next step is to take another trip along the worst road, with the DR32 hand held and see what results.

I think we have to be careful here, for the price of the DR32, it is very good value, the images are excellent, and the sound quality is also good. The fidelity is quite remarkable.

After all we are not trying to take an Oscar winning video, we only need the audio to prove whether we signalling in the event of an accident, and maybe recording conversations with our beloved coppers, so really is the odd bit of mechanical noise picked up worth worrying about?

cheers

P

superpat said:
Hi

I am revising my opinion of the new firmware!

I have just looked and listened to the all videos I took with the new firmware DR32 this morning.

I think they have fixed the main audio problem, there are quite long periods on the recordings where there is no "interference" or low frequency noise, (providing the road surface is very smooth).

However there is still a problem in that the the camera is VERY sensitive to vibration from road surface irregularities. (At the moment I am using a mini suction mount, very short leg.)

Unfortunately where I live in rural Hampshire most of the roads are full or potholes and bad surfaces.

If I look and listen to a clip that is taken on a smooth road surface the audo is perfect quiet with no low frequency "growl", except for short blips of noise as we passed over rough bits in the tarmac. I can see the car dip and rise as we hit the hole and the audio produces a short series LF thumps in sync.

There is one section of road which was constructed cheaply, with masses of tree roots under the road, along its length, which gives it a "washboard" surface to the tarmac. The audio from the DR32 over this section is a continous roar of LF noise.

It would be very possible to isolate the DR32 from mechanical vibrations with a shock mount, but of course that could well screw up any G-shock locking of a video.

Sometimes there is also noise of the audio track when pulling away, which stops when the throttle is relaxed. ( Megane with common rail diesel ) so there is no ignition, but there is a pump to pump the diesel fuel around the rail, and electronic valves in the injectors. But it doesn't seem to occur all the time, so I am wondering if again it is audio noise from the engine resonating in the DR32 or the mounting system.

I think my next step is to take another trip along the worst road, with the DR32 hand held and see what results.

I think we have to be careful here, for the price of the DR32, it is very good value, the images are excellent, and the sound quality is also good. The fidelity is quite remarkable.

After all we are not trying to take an Oscar winning video, we only need the audio to prove whether we signalling in the event of an accident, and maybe recording conversations with our beloved coppers, so really is the odd bit of mechanical noise picked up worth worrying about?

cheers

P

As a another member has stated in this forum, it is not the fault of the vehicle or the electrical system in the vehicle. The mic gain is the problem, I have watched the video in hxelepro's auction, you really have to listen closely to hear any low frequency noise that the vehicle produces. His video depicts both excellent video and audio, the first firmware update improved the audio greatly but they still have to improvement it further with another update.

superpat said:
HI,

Just did a road test

marks about 5 /10 !

chhers

P
Your audio problem is caused by LF-vibration and not by audio-clipping. I think it is the mount that causes this. I checked your audio and it is completely clipping free, the level of the recorded audio is way lower than my DR32. Are there different new firmwares in circulation with different settings for audio recording?

As I've found out, the issue with the audio is a changed microphone and it seems that they didn't test the audio after it being changed.
I guess it just needs a full retuning in firmware after which it should be possible to get it to comparable performance levels to what it was previously.

jokiin said:
Mikk36 said:
As I've found out, the issue with the audio is a changed microphone

I guessed this was the issue, did someone confirm it for you?
Yes

Back