New Firmware for 808 #18 DR32

its a poor do when people installing firmwares are ruining their units, I can't see how one released firmware can be used on DR32s with differing hardware (one with and one without video flip abilty), I wanted the video flip in mine but apparently cannot have it, luckily I've never had issues with the sound on mine, I read somewhere sound issues might have been more to do with rattling/creaking of the case over potholes but am not sure myself. I suggest people should not update their firmware just in case. Those who are having issues should install the Patriot firmware if they've ended up with screwed up menus, I'll be leaving mine well alone, other than the odd lockup which usually occurs when I'm messing with the buttons while recording (usually to enable the screen display to check things out) it works pretty well alright.

Hi Folks,

Ok, so I installed a better carbon microphone on my "Patriot" DR32 unit and it completely fixed the sound issue. I just stole the microphone from an old XBOX360 headset I had lying around. I'll post some videos tomorrow once I have both my units for side-by-side audio comparison.

It seems they sourced a cheaper part for the production run after testing was completed and porked us all. I won't make the mistake of buying from these guys again.

segstro said:
Hi Folks,

Ok, so I installed a better carbon microphone on my "Patriot" DR32 unit and it completely fixed the sound issue. I just stole the microphone from an old XBOX360 headset I had lying around. I'll post some videos tomorrow once I have both my units for side-by-side audio comparison.

It seems they sourced a cheaper part for the production run after testing was completed and porked us all. I won't make the mistake of buying from these guys again.

Great news.
And for those of us who don't happen to have an xbox headset laying around, anyone know where we can get a good replacement mic ? Assuming it's ebay, what do we look for?

segstro said:
Hi Folks,

If you're able to post instructions on how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Just a thought. The manufacturer knows there is/was an issue with audio.

HOW did this come about?
Since early cams had perfect sound (ebay ads, techmoan's review...)
Cams bought around one particular time seemed to be hit/miss with audio quality.
Manufacturer releases firmware update which slightly improves audio
Cams bought after all have perfect sound.

Obviously they bought in some duff mics?
So why not offer a solution to replace the duff mics with the better quality ones they currently use?
They could put a set of decent instructions on the web & it would cost them pennies to send out each mic.

At least they have fixed it completely with the new cameras (we have heard a lot of feedback about how GOOD the sound is on the DR32 on the new units). They should have come up with some kind of fix though I agree...

I contacted powerdigital through ebay message & told them that someone on here had fixed the poor audio by replacing the mic (an easy job - there is a YT vid) & since their firmware update didn't work, could they send out one of their new mics...
They replied
Dear sludgeguts,Hi,dear,We're glad to hear that there is new ways that can solve this issue.Would you mind send a pic of a micro phone to us?Also Would you pls help us send the video linking (on the youtube) of how the DR32 can be dismantled to our e-mail address?Because of we're limited of youtube website.We'll appreciate your input! Best wishes!Rita

Earlier, they said they were manufacturer & now they want to know what the mic looks like and how to dismantle the DR32? (or am I missing something?)

never did find the xbox/dr32 mic video, but after my dr32 was working perfectly since I got it (no audio issues at all), my last use of it had a horrible crackling sound on the audio, I had a spare xbox 360 headset so connected its mic inplace of the dr32s original mic, the xbox mic looks pretty well identical, but it never worked ! tried wiring the other way round (as the wires aren't colour coded ) and it still didn't work, decided to put the original mic back in, tested it and it was ok !! So my guess is there was nothing wrong with my original mic and maybe the unit developed some sort of electronic audio glitch that has now righted itself. It is also possible that the xbox mic was faulty as I has never tested it (it was new and never used with the xbox), I did have another xbox headset but didn't want to butcher that as well.

Would be interesting to know if anyone else has tried this

Hi guys, thought I'd pop back to see if the DR32 now has video flipping, looking back a couple of pages it seems the latest ones now have this function but there is no firmware update for the rest of us. Is there some new hardware in the latest cams required for this or is it just a software issue?

Been on the sidelines for a while on the DR32 because of all audio and firmware issues.
Would any of you in the know say that it's more or less sorted by now?
Is it safe to buy FoxOffer's (Hetai, I presume) version at this point in time?
I ask cause I jumped on the first batch of GT300W's and ended up with poor audio which is probably HW (mic) related.
Would not like a repeat with another cam. Any feedback welcome.

I just bought a DR32 from Amazon (Spy Tec). It has the firmware version with video flip. Audio sounds okay but I have nothing to compare it against so I don't know if the audio issue is resolved.

I do like this camera and feel I made the right choice, so far.

My version (bought 24 Jun, delivered one week later) has fine sound but only if the car (and device) is not jumping in potholes. Then weird sounds/trashes are recorded that are not comming from the car/environment. I guess microphone physical construction doesn't like shakes.

Gurkha, we have not had one audio issue with any of our DR32 supply yet (knock on wood) so feel free to purchase from us with confidence. And if you happen to get a fluke one with a problem, it's a lot easier to ship it back to NY rather than China.

JEEZ do any of these dash cams work as advertised ? I'm not going to pop again for a troublesome unit ! Dash Cam Talk seems oblivious to issues, I wonder who pays them ??? DUH !

GuidoFL said:
JEEZ do any of these dash cams work as advertised ? I'm not going to pop again for a troublesome unit ! Dash Cam Talk seems oblivious to issues, I wonder who pays them ??? DUH !

I didn't think anyone paid them. I thought it was simply a forum set up by a (few) user(s)?
It's the users themselves that post the issues & so the other users who can then decide what to go for.

GuidoFL said:

The DR32 audio problems are well documented, see here. I try to update the known problems if a trend is occurring. I need to update the LS300W page but the other cameras should be up to date from a problem perspective.

Hi,
for those of you who are still having problems with the audio AFTER the latest firmware, the problem may be related with how the microphone is mounted inside the housing of the DR32.
I moved the microphone outside of the casing and now there are no more audio problems.
Test with outside microphone
Cheers

braky said:
Hi,
for those of you who are still having problems with the audio AFTER the latest firmware, the problem may be related with how the microphone is mounted inside the housing of the DR32.
I moved the microphone outside of the casing and now there are no more audio problems.
Test with outside microphone
Cheers

With nothing to lose, I gave it a go.

DR32, firmware upgrade, no mods

DR32, firmware upgrade, mic now mounted externally

I'm no expert but it does sound a whole heap better. You still get the garbage over bumps and potholes bu at least now I don't seem to be getting the constant garbage from the tiny vibrations.

I drilled a 5mm hole in the bottom of the case, passed the mic plug through this and glued the mic in place with rubber solution glue.

Back