New Firmware for 808 #18 DR32

Hello everyone!

I tested the firmware on your camera Patriot F3. As it turns out, you can upload them without worry. It works without problems.
I just wonder if you change the firmware works with SHDR?

I was forced to do it because Hetai update caused rearrange the words on the menu. It was hard to fathom such a thing. So I was no way out.
It all started with the fact that my microphone does not work (the sound is very, very quiet). I thought that perhaps owes camera software. But look at it from a hardware problem.

Maybe someone with his spin the camera and know what are the dimensions of the original microphone?
I need to replace it. I'm afraid that is damaged.

Attachments

• Microphone.JPG
    Microphone.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 197
As best I can tell, it's 6mm diameter and 3mm deep.

If you do happen across a replacement that works well, please let us know.
I've replaced mine with the mic out of a headset - not great results - and now trying with a mic out of a computer (desktop) mic.
I wonder if the industry has different mics depending on use? So one used on a headset isn't calibrated for the jiggling around you would get on a vehicle? Sort of 'domestic' use only, domestic & vehicle, professional studio, outdoor gigs... :?:

the impedance of the mic will likely be different, just a matter of finding what works best, that generally varies depending on what solution they are using for the amp/mic circuit

If you do not know how to check the firmware version in your camera DR32 (or Patriot F3) are you a hint.

To view the firmware vision:
1. Press the playback key, Go to the "Playback" page;
2. Then Hold the Mode, and Press the Down key at the same time, about 20 seconds you see the firmware version

When it comes to the hardware, the camera DR32 and Patriot F3 are identical (can only differ lens). Hardware version is identical: HW ver i6330.
Therefore, there is no problem after installing the firmware from Patriot F3. I tested on myself. It is worth noting that, FW ver: 20130515-1, includes an option to rotate the image 180 degrees.

What firmware version you have on your camera?

This should look something like this:

Attachments

• Version_FW.JPG
    Version_FW.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 164
Good for you guys for experimenting but this is really an unacceptable solution. I'm not an engineer and have neither the time, expertise, tools, or interest to rebuild the crappy hardware inside this thing. I'm still hoping a new firmware will be posted somewhere that won't result in screwed up menus. But it's been a looooooooong time since we've seen anything about firmware so I'm guessing I'm out of luck.

spytec said:
Gurkha, we have not had one audio issue with any of our DR32 supply yet (knock on wood) so feel free to purchase from us with confidence. And if you happen to get a fluke one with a problem, it's a lot easier to ship it back to NY rather than China.

SpyTech:
You might want to update your demo youtube video shown since it still shows crackle'n bad audio.
http://www.spytecinc.com/dr32-1080p-hd- ... hgjF5KPOi7
I guess your update text at the bottom get's the job done,
"Note: This is the newest version of the DR32 with the latest firmware which eliminates all known audio issues."
but not everyone will ready that far down the page.

It was just being discussed in the SmartCar forum
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums ... post593522

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
the impedance of the mic will likely be different, just a matter of finding what works best, that generally varies depending on what solution they are using for the amp/mic circuit

I didn't come back to the page after my comment - however, I had just bought a new mic to replace the replacement mic.
replacement mic came from a headset/mic combo from the local £1 shop :geek:
It was an improvement.
The new mic came from another cheap shop & was a desktop mic for computers - cost £1.99 :ugeek:

have to say that the audio is mega-improved...

The quiet spots are where I edited out my passenger's comments but at the start of the vid I am not far off the speed limit of 50mph, the cyclist slows us down to about 15mph.

You can clearly hear bits of my bus 'clattering' as I hit bumps and potholes but I can't hear the same audio distortions.

The new mic is a temporary fix for now, the wire comes out of a hole I drilled in the bottom of the unit & the mic is fixed with epoxy to the side of the cam, just below the HDMI port, at an angle (approx 45deg) so it is facing upwards and backwards.

jarbol said:
If you do not know how to check the firmware version in your camera DR32 (or Patriot F3) are you a hint.

To view the firmware vision:
1. Press the playback key, Go to the "Playback" page;
2. Then Hold the Mode, and Press the Down key at the same time, about 20 seconds you see the firmware version

When it comes to the hardware, the camera DR32 and Patriot F3 are identical (can only differ lens). Hardware version is identical: HW ver i6330.
Therefore, there is no problem after installing the firmware from Patriot F3. I tested on myself. It is worth noting that, FW ver: 20130515-1, includes an option to rotate the image 180 degrees.

What firmware version you have on your camera?

This should look something like this:

Now THAT is interesting. According to my posts on this very thread, I was struggling to update on April 19th & eventually managed it with the help of you guys.
So, one would expect new firmware that was sent on April 19th to be dated around then?
I note in the picture, the firmware date is 15th May.
My firmware says 20130122-1 and is confirmed underneath as 22nd january 2013, 14:54:35 HW Ver A i6330

So, either they re-sent original firmware OR the new firmware wasn't applied - which is strange as the camera went through the motions & kept me informed of progress.

In other news, from that screen, I was able to move forward & get rid of the welcome screen & increase the number of lock files from 5 to 10!
Edit - just looked at the dropbox file on p1 of this thread - and it's showing the date as January 22nd. Anyone know where I can download the may version?

My DR32, purchased from SpyTech in July 2013, has firmware version 20130515-1 dated May 15, 2013.

Excellent work by jarbol! For me it took 10 seconds to get the firmware version after holding down the mode and down keys (the two outermost buttons). The display went back and forth between selecting "all files" and "locked files" and then boom: firmware screen. You have to use the down button (rightmost) to scroll through all the info. Here's what's on mine:

Code:
Model:        DR32
FW ver:       20130122-1
Date:         JAN 22 2013
Time:         14:54:35
Update:       DR_32.BRN
HW ver:       A i6330
IQ SVN ver:   40
Base SVN ver: 46
MAIN-00.04.74
BASE FW:      14196

Test Items
   Key:       Pass
   RTC:       Pass
   TV-OUT:    Pass
   Power Key: Pass
   G-Sensor:  Pass

So mine appears to be completely identical to sludgeguts' in both hardware and firmware. Yet we know that this cannot be true since I have not experienced the extreme audio problems he has. To refresh your memory, here's a link to my longish review of my unit over on the main thread. I also saw no option to increase the number of locked files from 5 to 10 as he did. Nor would I want this feature since I wouldn't ordinarily need to keep more than 2 locked files anyway. But it underscores the fact that one should take the information on this firmware screen with a huge grain of salt.

[offtopic]Also, I should update my review to note that the camera does NOT properly support the exFAT file system. It seems to work fine for up to twenty minutes or so. Then it starts recording corrupt files if it records anything at all. Yet the red LED light remains constantly lit as if everything were fine. It would be nice if the camera would periodically read back what it is writing to verify the contents and then make the LED flash to indicate corruption. I reformatted my 64GB card using FAT32 and everything seems to be working fine. You'll lose some transfer performance when you want to copy the files to your computer, but at least you'll have files to copy this way.

While we're wishing for things, it would be nice if the camera had at least a gigabyte of on-board storage for those times I've removed the microSD card to transfer the files -- but suddenly need to run an errand and forget to re-install the card.

I should also update to add that the longest, continuous recording I've made so far with the DR32 was just around 90 minutes -- so thermal performance on this unit is quite good I would say.[/offtopic]

From the FW version screen I pressed the red power button (why? - I have absolutely no idea).
(It's a long press, at least a few seconds)
This brings up another screen.
TEST_MODE off (options are off,1,2,3)
ENGINE_TEST off
GPIO_VIEWER off
GSENSOR_TEST off
DISABLE_IQ off
USE_USB_POWER off
DISABLE_OSD_INFO off
NON_LCD_PREVIEW off
TEST_SETOUT on
AE_LOG_FILE off
WAIT_CHAEGE off
WAIT_CHARGE_SEC (Ahh, that explains the previous one!) 2 (options are 0 - 10)
BOOT_PIC off
CUSTOM_PIC DEFAULT (options are default and 'besta' - besta doesn't seem to bring anything else up!)
KEEP_PANEL_SET off
LOCK_FILE_TYPE FIX_CNT (options are fix_cnt or ratio)
LOCK_FILE_CNT (options are 5 - 15)
LOCK FILE RATIO 10 (options are 10 - 100)
ADJ_IQ Pressing the red/power button on this brings up ANOTHER menu! >>>
Which is...
OB off
WB_OFS off
LSC off
ARD off
DEPEAK_R off
DEPEAK_G off
DEPEAK_B off
WB_GAIN off
CM off
RGB_GAMMA off
HUE off
Y_GAMMA off
YEF off
YNF off
Y_EDGE off
Y_CORNER_EDGE off
UV_LPF_EDGE off
UV_LPF_AREA off
TEMPORAL_DN off

So, the reply we got from the seller about waiting for new firmware was a load of BS then since it was supposedly being written as we complained about the audio back in late March/early April.
It stands to reason that firmware written at that time would have that date?
As I have now got mic#3 installed and the audio is infinitely better and others have also had success with replacing their mics, it seems to me that it wasn't a firmware problem after all, they obviously shoved in a load of cheapo, crappy mics. they got our money & took us for suckers.

And before the Hetai bumlickers come in - note - to send the unit back for replacement would've left us very out of pocket. The company lied about producing new firmware. The company could've solved the problem by sending us new mics - after all, the unit is easy to dismantle & the mics simply unplug.

It is your microphone that somehow work. And I got a damaged (very quiet) and now I have to fix it.

Is anyone present on this forum have the firmware in DR32, in May?

Have you noticed streaks (pouring colors red, blue, etc.) in the movies filmed Hetai camera? After uploading the firmware for Patriot F3 does not have the problemu.Obraz is perfect.

Attachments

• DVR DR32 - with sound_19133.jpg
    DVR DR32 - with sound_19133.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 114
jarbol said:
Have you noticed the streaks (pouring a red, blue, etc) jakiie in movies filmed Hetai camera? After uploading the firmware for Patriot F3 does not have this problem. The picture is perfect.

Yes, I noticed the streaks from reds & blues.
Maybe one of those options in the extended menu? depeak or gamma?

I'd also be interested in updating to the newer May firmware, of even the patriot firmware.

Very interesting that we were promised 'new' firmware yet they blatantly send old firmware - THEN later, release new firmware (May) and don't say a word? I was in constant contact with the seller/who also claimed to be the manufacturer (powerdigital) about still having audio problems - this continued right into June, well after the new firmware was released.

sludgeguts said:
Yes, I noticed the streaks from reds & blues.
Maybe one of those options in the extended menu? depeak or gamma?

I do not have this firmware from May 2013, which is in the picture. She has the option to rotate the image 180 degrees.
I did a firmware update FW ver 20130122-1, because I had no sound. I mixed up the menu. Having no other choice, I took a chance and I have uploaded the firmware for the Patriot F3. The picture is excellent, the colors will not pour out.
I do not know what is the sound. I have probably broken microphone. I need to replace it.

Screenshot of firmware Patriot F3. Colors do not pour.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-21-17-09-03-1.JPG
    Screenshot_2013-08-21-17-09-03-1.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 107
jarbol said:

jarbol, could you post everything you see under the ADJ_IQ submenu as sludeguts did. I want to know if there is anything that those of us with the January firmware and earliest hardware revision can adjust in the super secret menus to solve the color comets problem.

Also, if you press and hold all all of the keys except the power button for 30 seconds, it will let you play Tetris!

Kidding. Just kidding. :D

[quADJ_IQ submenu in the Patriot F3 is set the same way as described sludgeguts.te="laalaa99stl"]
jarbol said:

jarbol, could you post everything you see under the ADJ_IQ submenu as sludeguts did. I want to know if there is anything that those of us with the January firmware and earliest hardware revision can adjust in the super secret menus to solve the color comets problem.

Also, if you press and hold all all of the keys except the power button for 30 seconds, it will let you play Tetris!

Kidding. Just kidding. :D[/quote]

When it is a forum to share their observations and discoveries. I said to check the versions. I tested on your hardware firmware from Patriot.
As I do not play Tetris... Do not feel odd tricks, instead of playing Tetris?

I'm not kidding ;-)

Ps. ADJ_IQ submenu in the Patriot F3 is set the same way as described sludgeguts.

Those of you who have applied the Patriot F3 firmware to their DR32, have you applied it to 'earlier' DR32s that originally came with the January firmware and supposedly has slightly different hardware to the later '180 degree video flip'/May firmware versions ?

I think that there are no hardware differences. Hardware version is the same: HW ver: A i6330. The differences may be in the optics. But I can not confirm this, because I not have the Patriot F3.

Ps. My DR32 did not rotate the image in the camera menu.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-23-23-18-29.JPG
    Screenshot_2013-08-23-23-18-29.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 92
Having suffered from random lockups and bleeding colours since I bought my DR32 I've decided to take a chance and install the Patriot F3 firmware onto my unit, download from here ... http://www.patriot.com.tw/download_f3.html , follow instructions on the webpage and it works though branded a 'Patriot' now, using sludgeguts hack I turned the BOOT PIC to OFF and it now boots straight into Recording Mode without the Patriot logo, gone has the bleed in Red and Blue coloured objects, the sound has remained the same (which in my case was actually ok, I firmly believe many of the sound woes was down to the DR32's case 'creaking and rattling' over potholes etc. Not 100% sure if the random lockups will be cured without more extensive testing but hopefully it will be. My DR32 was one of the earlier ones that didn't come with the '180 degree video flip' and this firmware does not enable that, it appears only latter DR32 will do this, I was told a subtle hardware mod is in the later versions but I cannot verify this

Back