New Firmware for 808 #18 DR32

What are people talking about when they say "180degree flip"?

In recording mode, with the camera upside down, mine automatically flips the view (only) so the camera screen shows me exactly what I see through the windscreen - HOWEVER, the time stamp is placed in the lower left corner & displayed upside-down.

Interestingly, it doesn't actually record the video like this, it still saves the files as an upside-down video. I have to rely on my video software to perform the flip - which also puts the timestamp upside-down.

When people refer to the auto flip in the new firmware, are you saying it turns the video AND timestamp the right way up AND records it like this?

Last edited by a moderator:
sludgeguts said:
Northernlanes said:
Patriot F3 firmware onto my unit, download from here ... http://www.patriot.com.tw/download_f3.html

Ohhh - so tempting. If I could be sure this will flip the video AND timestamp - AND save it like this, then I might just go for it.

This firmware does not have this option in the menu. I wrote about it. What do you mean ...?

Many cams don't put this in the menu, they simply do this automatically.
As I said earlier, mine will auto flip the view whilst recording - but it doesn't save the file this way.
I'm just wondering if the patriot fw or even the newer may fw will auto flip and save?

I know you guys will have delved into the firmware screen by now - but for the many users out there who maybe aren't aware of this website, I have created a youtube video.

I also added additional video onto the end which gives a reasonable representation of the audio problem even after the supposed firmware update and now - after my new mic.

I can confirm the Patriot FW flips the view on the screen but not the actual video it records, I cannot remember if the DR32's original FW (Jan 2013) behaved this way .
Sludgeguts, as long as you don't have a problem while installing it, the Patriot FW is a worthwhile way to go on a first gen DR32, if only to rid it of the nasty colour bleed which somehow the Patriot FW appears to do ( .. in my limited testing, jarbol says the same too).

EDIT: If you really want the best quality/price in an action cam ... I've now got both the DR32 and Mobius, and the Mobius has better video quality, better sound, is smaller & lighter and has a better form factor and therefore can be mounted better/more solidly thus creating less vibration. It also costs much less than the DR32, has photo timelapse mode and video flip straight out of the box (unlike my original DR32) and the firmware is updated every couple of weeks with new features.
Also, forget the SJ1000 as it has a poor form factor, the video isn't as good as the Mobius, and the mounts are terrible!
The only thing lacking in the Mobius is probably a screen but then it is too small to have one !!!

Off Topic:

I decided to look into the camera and fix the problem with the microphone. As it turned out, was not properly soldered (reverse polarity, as shown in the photo).
Sound is recorded correctly, so this problem is solved.

I tested a few miniature microphones (with GSM phones and headsets). All work basically correct, although some have greater sensitivity. I chose the microphone from the headset Samsung GSM.

Attachments

• Mikrofon.JPG
    Mikrofon.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 136
In connection with the option of rotating the image by 180 degrees. Such information, the firmware update I got from the seller:

According to the firmware version you showed, the firmware in your DR32 is old edition, which doesn't have the feature image rotation.But as there is no firmware software available for user to update, the only way to update the firmware is ship back to manufacturer to update.

jarbol said:
In connection with the option of rotating the image by 180 degrees. Such information, the firmware update I got from the seller:

According to the firmware version you showed, the firmware in your DR32 is old edition, which doesn't have the feature image rotation.But as there is no firmware software available for user to update, the only way to update the firmware is ship back to manufacturer to update.

The firmware version I showed was supposed to be an update to fix the crap audio. The seller assured me / us that they were working on a fix - and this 'updated' firmware was 'the fix'.
Seems odd that more recent cameras have firmware dated for May - and yet the seller/manufacturer completely ignored those of us who were still having problems & still in contact with them!

sludgeguts said:
Seems odd that more recent cameras have firmware dated for May - and yet the seller/manufacturer completely ignored those of us who were still having problems & still in contact with them!

I am curious what it is due. Is it true that there is a difference in system hardware or do not want to release the firmware for previous users? This may be associated with this is that some manufacturers (distributors?) DR32. And users have figured out that the firmware of the camera fits even signed by Patriot logo. Update HW ver: 20130122-1 is not a full firmware. When I have uploaded it, it crumbled to me the menu. Full firmware is only FW ver: 20130206-1 for Patriot F3. Maybe I will not see any updates. Not know ....

The effect of substitution camera firmware and replace the microphone:

Video 1080p30

For those interested in replacing the microphone in DR32. Below is a photo of a set of Samsung with whom I have the microphone. Our original microphone Dimensions: diameter = 6.1 mm, height = 3.0 mm. The microphone has a rubber sheath that insulates it from the chassis (vibrations). I installed it in the same place. Replacement is simple. Note the polarity! Red wire - plus, the black wire - minus the microphone. The microphone is capacitive, so it's important.
Video how to open the camera on YouTube.

Test footage of my DR32 that has had its firmware replaced with the Patriot F3 firmware as mention previously, as you can see the colour bleed issues , especially with bright reds and blues, are completely solved, As are the random lockups my DR32 previously suffered from. Sound is fine as I never had any sound issues [click on the HD, quality (pixelating !) is down to YouTube encoding ] ... http://youtu.be/kHt28uzisf0

Edit: Original footage available here to download and view ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi0qfkxigigttb6/twiss.avi
Example footage of the colour bleed on my DR32 with original firmware here (see red on the petrol tank) ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGmhjEMX ... AvjcNqOCyg

jarbol said:
Off Topic:

I decided to look into the camera and fix the problem with the microphone. As it turned out, was not properly soldered (reverse polarity, as shown in the photo).

Maybe the wires are the wrong color. Did you check polarity with a volt meter?

Of course, all measured it . By profession I am an electronics engineer .
I had to disassemble the camera again and replace the microphone cable with micro connector . Symptoms: crackling and breaking sound. By the way, I stripped all the camera and took some photos. As time permits, it will put them .

What is the latest firmware, i think i have a rock!

My firmware is 20130515 - 1.

Been having freeze issues since day one of owning it!

My firmware is 20130515 - 1.
Been having freeze issues since day one of owning it!

If you have a version of May , you should have the option to rotate the image 180 degrees. I have no experience with this version . I currently have loaded the firmware from Patriot F3 and I have no such problems. The camera I never froze . The picture is perfect .

If the version is of May, it is the latest version and come with image 180 degree rotation.
How to check the DR32 FW version
Buy one from foxoffer, get latest FM version.

If the version is of May, it is the latest version and come with image 180 degree rotation.
How to check the DR32 FW version

I do not know why this film? How would you traced this thread, you noticed that I have long since gave what to do.
You better tell us where we can download the latest firmware.

Buy one from foxoffer, get latest FM version.

I bought my camera on Foxoffer. It was to be the new firmware, and I got the older version of the firmware and badly soldered microphone, and damaged serial communication line (with the connector on the microphone). It should be added that the handle is broken set screw. I was able to fix it, but not everyone cope.

Back