New Firmware for F800

TKSX

Reaction score
Country
Canada
New firmware release for F800

Version 1.00.05 (2017-08-28) downloadable from the thinkware international website.

Reason for change: Shorten booting time.

If you're experiencing issues with the settings not saving properly, this will also address it supposedly

The app can download the firmware but I wonder how to upload it to the can

You can download the firmware via a mac/ pc that way you have a copy as backup (also you could keep copies of versions in case a new update introduces errors). The firmware in this case is is in a zip called called f800_0_1.00.05. You unzip the file and you find a file called F800_pkg.bin, copy it to the root SD card, you also will have two folders called driveinfo and setting. Copy these over over writing if asked. With the F800 powered off , you put the SD card back in. The just power up the unit, as it boots up, it will see the *.bin file and start the update process. You wait about 3-5 minutes and you will hear a verbal "update complete", "continuous recording started" = your done. That's what I did, going from v1.00.04 to 1.00.05. From what I've read the unit will allow you to upgrade/ downgrade. Since the process is doing a complete re-write of the firmware.

As far as updating via the app, it should be similar, once the files are downloaded, the unit is re-booted. Either via the app or you doing it by powering down and the powering up. The process begins as above. My choice is here, is I have done the data update for the "safety data" (red lights etc.) via the app. my preferred choice when it comes to firmware, is download a copy via a computer. Data corruption can always be an issue depending on your connection. Usually a failed update (for any hardware firmware) will be data corruption of the file(s) used for the update.

My one interest one this matter. is reading the manual for the F800 and the F800 pro, there appears to be not difference between the units, as far as hardware spec is concerned. I have read that the F800 pro "cloud option" requires a internet connection supplied via a phone or wifi network. I suspect, although I can't find it the the price difference covers space in a cloud storage account. Given in the manual, the spec is the same. You could believe both F800 and F800 pro could run a 128GB card as it the firmware that would dictate the option. As in a firmware switch. A bit like a phone that has all the hardware and functions installed at manufacturing, and it's the agreement with the providers as to what functions are available to the user. As in the lock-down that occurs in the US. Although Thinkware still does not have a 128GB card option on the US website.

It seems like this version of firmware also addressed the date issue that I had been experiencing with version 1.004 as well.
(Issue: When the camera is turned on, sometimes it will forget the date and revert to GMT +9:00 (Korea date / time) instead of GMT -06:00.

Back