New GT680W faulty?

mickyb99

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,
I just bought a GT680W but I'm pretty sure it's faulty. Based on the following behavior would you agree?
  1. I can't turn it on without having it connected to a power source. I thought it was supposed to have a battery so it should at least turn on for a couple of minutes?
  2. The settings don't hold, they keep resetting to the defaults after I turn off the car and turn it back on again.
  3. When I connect it to the PC the camera just constantly repeats the welcome screen and welcome voice and I can't access any of the files.
Thanks in advance.

Sounds like mine before I got a good soaking charge on it. It's in flawless daily service for 1-1/2 years.

Some stuff I learned on my own:
- Following instructions requires imagination, patience and trial & error.
- Needs a good overnight charge before it acts right.
- A bad connection is often the source of difficulty.
- My gps antenna worked with one side facing out, but not the other.
- First time GPS lock can take 15 minutes (from post here).
- G force set to light can lock it up (from a different model that drove me nuts for a few reasons).
- Some USA states require two person consent to record audio with legal and civil consequences. I don't record audio.
- 32gb will give you about a day at 1080P.
- Third party software is available via posts here to FAT32 format a micro sd card bigger than 32 gb. Bigger is better.
- If it works, upgrading to newer firmware won't make it better. (I matched my second GT680W to a GPS antenna on hand, but had to step back two firmware versions.)
- Third party 12V to USB converters may not be compatible. Some here cooked their dashcams with a cheap one.
- Cars now use both the hot and ground to control dome lights, etc. Thinking I could save some effort, this drove me nuts.
- A multi-meter is wiring's best friend.

I prefer hard wire. Makes for one less bother. I use an add-a-fuse or fuse tap and a loose 12V socket with ground screwed to chassis or similar ground. This replaces a fuse with two fuse slots, one for the original and another for your accessory. I feel using a loose 12 volt socket and the provided cord powers and protects the dashcam as intended by the manufacturer. Mine is tied into a circuit energized with ignition. With patience all wires can hide behind finishes. The add-a-fuse also lets you change your mind.

Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks throrope for your answer and tips. I was away for the last week so I'm only getting to reply now.
I left the camera plugged in but turned off for 24 hours. I'm assuming this should charge it? There was a blue LED on during this time. However when I unplugged it after the 24 hours and tried to turn it on, it wouldn't turn on. When I plugged it in again it turned on but the date settings were reset, so I think the battery must be dead. I think I might as well just return it at this point.

Problem solved :)
I needed to leave it turned on while plugged in in order to get it to charge. I left it like that for a couple of hours and now all the symptoms mentioned in my first post are fixed. Thanks again.

hey guys,

my camera started constantly repeating the welcome screen and welcome voice and I can't access any of the files. I cant even power it on or off, it just keeps repeating the welcome voice and its soo annoying. Any help is appreciated! its past the warranty period so...GG. can't return or get it fixed by them.

By the way, I noticed that the latest firmware for the gt680w is v.30 or 2.7, but for some reason my dash cam is version 3.2 -weird.

firmware version numbers make no sense on this model so better to leave that alone

if it does the same with no memory card installed it's likely a hardware fault, failed battery is the most common cause

Back