New guy confused on which cam to buy???

vp6799

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I've read a bunch of threads on this site regarding reviews reliability and picture quality and i'm more confused now than I was before.....LoL

I liked the size and reviews that the MINI 0806 got on here, so I gave it a shot. It was horrible!!!! I tried 3 different memory cards and got the same issue with them all. The cam would freeze, the screen goes black, and it starts making unstoppable beeping noises until I hold down the power button to do a master reset. Other times, It would just stop working while recording and again it would need a master reset. Now, I am waiting on the sellers response to initiate a return.

Now I'm considering a dual front/rear cam setup. I'm still up in the air about it, not really necessary for me, but kinda like the extra coverage.

For the dual cam, I am eyeing the BlackSys CF-100 2ch

Are there any others that are in my budget with the front & rear cam capabilities???

For a single cam. The MINI0806 is out. I did like the clear video quality "when" it worked, but after the issues i've had with it, it's out of my list.

I have no idea what other single channel (front only) cam would be a good choice. Seems like the more I read, the more confused I get.

GPS is not really needed for me, Although it would be nice, its not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it.

My budget is not more than $200 I could go a little more for a better system, but would like to stay in that range.

Thanks
Vic

Hi everyone, I've read a bunch of threads on this site regarding reviews reliability and picture quality and i'm more confused now than I was before.....LoL

I liked the size and reviews that the MINI 0806 got on here, so I gave it a shot. It was horrible!!!! I tried 3 different memory cards and got the same issue with them all. The cam would freeze, the screen goes black, and it starts making unstoppable beeping noises until I hold down the power button to do a master reset. Other times, It would just stop working while recording and again it would need a master reset. Now, I am waiting on the sellers response to initiate a return.

Now I'm considering a dual front/rear cam setup. I'm still up in the air about it, not really necessary for me, but kinda like the extra coverage.

For the dual cam, I am eyeing the BlackSys CF-100 2ch

Are there any others that are in my budget with the front & rear cam capabilities???

For a single cam. The MINI0806 is out. I did like the clear video quality "when" it worked, but after the issues i've had with it, it's out of my list.

I have no idea what other single channel (front only) cam would be a good choice. Seems like the more I read, the more confused I get.

GPS is not really needed for me, Although it would be nice, its not a deal breaker if it doesn't have it.

My budget is not more than $200 I could go a little more for a better system, but would like to stay in that range.

Thanks
Vic

Is that $200 for a dual channel or $200 per camera? From what I read there aren't many outstanding dual channel systems...yet. You'd be better of running 2 separate cameras if you want one front and one back.

I currently run a Mobius standard lens in both my cars, not the greatest at night, but it's been reliable and easy to use which is a plus because I drive quite a bit. I may move eventually move the Mobius to the back and get something like the JooVuu X or Street Guardian for the front later on, but for now I'm pleased with my setup.

Welcome to DCT @vp6799

I would say you get what you pay for. Mini 0806 is an okay camera when it works, which it does rarely. I had my Mini 0806 for about 3 months then I decided to purchase my new cameras from Street Guardian. It had to be two SGZC12RC-V2. I can only say WOW what a difference it made. Very reliable camera, awesome video quality (both during the day and at night), Parking mode and Motion Detection, Super Capacitor, very easy to hide. A very awesome dash cam simply, install and forget. I have not had any problems with SGZC12RC V2.

Here are some comparisons between mini 0806 and SGZC12RC -V2

Here are some comparisons between mini 0803 and SGZC12RC -V2

Mini 0806 and SGZC12RC -V2 side by side
Foto_2016_01_12_18_00_31.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for replies. Sorry, I got caught up with work and haven't had a chance to come online.

I'm not relatively set on a dual cam for under $200. Was just a thought in case there was something ok for that price or under.

My main objective would be to have a nice single cam for the front of my vehicle.

I do like the Street Guardian SGZC12RC The size is great, but the remote screen would be impossible to hide in my 2014 explorer.

Are there any good recomendations for a single cam within my $200 budget??

Thanks
Vic

Thanks for replies. Sorry, I got caught up with work and haven't had a chance to come online.
I do like the Street Guardian SGZC12RC The size is great, but the remote screen would be impossible to hide in my 2014 explorer.

Are there any good recomendations for a single cam within my $200 budget??

@niko has brilliant images that show where to have the main unit placed on which @russ331 posted above, please take a look at those. If SGZC12RC still will not fit, you have this on https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/d...sony-imx322-sensor-gps-32gb-storage-card.html which is as good as SGZC12RC.

Last edited:
@niko has 4 of 'em in his VW. I have 1 in my Mini Cooper, & could easily accommodate another. Here's some installation ideas ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...ra-post-your-pictures.502/page-35#post-216338

@niko has brilliant images that show where to have the main unit placed on which @russ331 posted above, please take a look at those. If SGZC12RC still will not fit, you have this on https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/d...sony-imx322-sensor-gps-32gb-storage-card.html which is as good as SGZC12RC.

Thanks for the 2 suggestions. I really like these 2 systems now that I have read some more about them. Guess i'll check out the Street Guardian section of the forum to make my final decision....LoL

Thanks again everyone!!!

Vic

Just want to say thanks for the help and suggestions. I ended up purchasing the Street Guardian SG9665GC and love it. Install was super easy and the night time video quality is pretty good. Gotta wait for tomorrow to see some daytime video. Just did the install tonight. Also did the GPS antenna flip so I can mount it on the windshield.

Pier28 was perfect to deal with. I had some questions that I email to them and within a few hours I had a response. An hour later, my order was place. Definitely a great place to deal with.

Vic

O yeah, Jon is good peeps :cool:

Back