"New HD 720P GPS G-sensor" Car DVR - Techmoan review

rcs914

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All -

So I am a recent introduction to dashcams - I knew of their existence, but hadn't ever thought about one until I happened to see the following review from techmoan.com:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2012/12/8/ ... h-gps.html

Which is available on ebay from several sellers with a combination of the name in the title above. I am curious if those of you here that are far more familiar with the various available dashcams have seen it, since it is very cheap for one with GPS, and apparently has decent night video as well. Of course as outlined in the review, there are several caveats. What I thought it possibly would be good for is a rear facing camera. Anyway, I figured I would see if anyone here has any thoughts about it. The Techmoan site is fun, and he has reviewed a few other cameras in the past too, but I haven't watched those videos yet.

Thank you all very much for the excellent information here. I am seriously considering one of the ITB-100HDs after reading the information here.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing that review. This is a new camera and there haven't been many sales of it yet. It initially sold under the name "Iron Man". See the expired listing here and here is an active listing. The cheapest price right now is $50 from welldonetech on eBay.

Since so few of these have sold, I have only found one review besides this one. It was from a Russian user who indicates the camera formats the card using FAT16 and has a Chinese title. Then none of the content is viewable on the computer. It was not usable and he had to open a dispute on eBay regarding it.

I personally was not impressed with the video quality, the day quality is poor and the night quality is average. Appears to have similar video quality as the Smallest HD 720p DVR. The Smallest HD 720p has better day quality but worse night quality. Overall for $50, you get a small camera, with GPS and ok night video. The biggest negatives are the poor day quality and perhaps reliability problems. As long as your ok with the negatives, purchasing this camera may be something to look into.

Dash Cam Man

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure it wouldn't be FAT16, but rather a proprietary format that requires the use of their software in order to view the videos. Which is annoying. I know that for future use I would want something small to put in the back window, and in Arizona there are no plates on the front of the cars, so being able to make out license numbers isn't too critical. I drive a freeway to and from work every day, and there have been too many close calls already with people driving like morons, so having some records would be nice if anything does happen. Obviously this is probably the same reason that any of us are here looking at dashcams :) I think I might pick one of these up to play with for now.

Thanks!

Hi rcs914,

For a rear camera, this video quality is more than adequate especially if there are no front plates. I'm not sure about the FAT16 comment either, perhaps the guy just got a dud for the camera. Really for $50, you just need to cross your fingers that the quality / reliability is acceptable.

Dash Cam Man

Back