New here and new to dash cams

Kingston73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, new here and looking to buy a dash cam for the second time. I’ve been reading a lot and I’ve narrowed my choices down but need help deciding. I want to keep the price under $200. I’d like WiFi but that’s just a bonus if possible, I’d like a rear camera if possible, and want it to be easy to set up. I had an eprance 804 that worked ok but it stopped working after 3 years and the video was only ok. The worst thing about that camera was the setup menus were very difficult to access and use.

The two main choices I’ve read about are the viofo a119 for a single camera and the mini 0906 for a dual setup. Based on the under $200 budget are there any others I should considering dear, and should I go with a single good camera or dual decent but not great cameras? Thanks all

Just dont expect to Dl a lot of stuff from the camera using wifi, that seem to be a very slow approach, doing settings are fine but for the most that's a once in the year deal, and then the preventive in camera memory card format now and then.
I have several cameras in my car and to be honest the front one is the go to camera for events, but a rear camera are also nice to have at times, but i would not cut corners to get a dual channel setup.
I some times pull stuff of my side cameras, but then its most often just to underline the action already captured on the front or rear camera. ( my cameras are all single models so far )
A front camera will always record what you are doing with your car, and if you have been driving in accordance with the law then surely what might else happen off camera can not be your fault.

On the other hand if you would like to share the idiots you encounter on the road you cant really have to many cameras as they pop up all around your car.
But you dont really have to get on film the one that ram you, at least not over here in Denmark ( i think ) the Americans do appear to me as more adept in blame shifting and the see you in court thing.
To me it just sound normal that if you can document you are driving in accordance with the law, then any event surely cant be your fault.

The 2 cameras you have your eyes on are both good cameras in their individual segments ( moderate prized single / dual )

I just pulled the trigger on the new BlackVue DR590W 1-CH with WiFi for $160 from blackboxmycar. They have a non-WiFi 2-CH DR590 for $199. Will be my first dashcam so can't give any recommendations.

I was really eyeing the StreetGaurdians and would have got one, but they either lag or lack the parking mode function. For me it's not worth installing a dashcam unless it has parking mode.

I think SG have stayed away from parking mode as they felt it have not been dont right or possible to do it right up until now.
And then SG are still a small brand so it take a while to get going.
But for a first dashcam you will not be the first one to get a blackvue, and i think you will be good with it too.

I have the DR590 2ch and it's excellent. Parking modes works excellent. Day and night time quality is very good. I would have spent the extra few dollars for a 2ch system. Now if you decide you want a 2ch system you'll have to purchase it all over. You can't add another camera to the DR590 1ch.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I ended up going with the budget pick and got a blue sky sea B1W-CARDVR. Seems to be working well, very easy to set up and very low profile. Plus it was very inexpensive. I don’t really want or need parking mode but it has that option if I change my mind. Now I need to read up on hard wired instructions

Back