New housing with air vents for Mobius Mini: any good now for dashcam use?

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, well, like it says:

New housing for Mobius Mini: any good now for dashcam use now?

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/162212692692

digitalele886 had this one on sale for 50 bucs last weekend, that would have been a chance to go for the cheap, unfortunately I just missed it, but since the price difference with Maxi now (which now has wifi...!) I assume the choice is easy...

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, well, like it says:

New housing for Mobius Mini: any good now for dashcam use now?

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/162212692692

digitalele886 had this one on sale for 50 bucs last weekend, that would have been a chance to go for the cheap, unfortunately I just missed it, but since the price difference with Maxi now (which now has wifi...!) I assume the choice is easy...
I couldn't resist an after-promo sales offer and bought me one for 55.00 usd.... just for the fun of it...

I'm weak, so weak... :rolleyes:

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Oh it's gonna get hot, sizzling... but I don't care, I need to know, I just need to know....

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mobius Mini (DASHCAM SETUP): Night 30fps, LIT AND UNLIT ROADS.... Neutral exposure

Last edited:
OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I just realised I had metering on LOWER WEIGHED.... Setting it back to multi-spot, and see what that does....

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG, Viofo/GitUp, Mobius
I just realised I had metering on LOWER WEIGHED.... Setting it back to multi-spot, and see what that does....
Lower weighted means that it prioritises shadow detail at the possible expense of blown highlights. For the Mini this seems to be a decent option for night video.

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Lower weighted means that it prioritises shadow detail at the possible expense of blown highlights. For the Mini this seems to be a decent option for night video.
Hm, haven't realised that, but we'll see the difference later with multi-spot set ....

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Strangest thing is, when I firste check the video of the Mini, my first thought always is, hmm, not too bad, and then I start comparing.....

here it is, in the city it does OK, but check this:

Mobius Mini

Mobius 1 with F1.4 lens

Viofo 119S with F1.2 lens

SawMaster

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W-S, G1W-HC, G1W clone, B1W, N2 Pro, K2S, B2W, (ex Mobius)
It has clarity but is lacking in brightness. If you look at what seems to be a building or parking area slightly right of center (horizontal line of light) you'll see what I'm speaking of. F1.4 and A119S show a lamp or sign above and left of the "building" which the Mini doesn't catch at all even though it shows the "building" itself clearly but more dimly.

A bit unfair comparing to the A119S at night; it or the A129 is the best dashcam for those conditions anyone has done yet so anything compared to them will be lacking. Not too bad for the Mini though- dozens of cams aren't even as good as this at night including some expensive ones.

Phil

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mobius Mini in the City:

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Do you guys have sound when playing video's on dashcamtalk.com? I noticed that all video's I play here are silent, even my own, where I know for sure they are with sound, playing them on YouTube proves it....

Is there some setting that I need to switch?

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
if the answer is loud rock music, then yes your videos have sound
Yeah well, I grew up uin the 70's, sew me... hahaha

I dó have sound when I play dashcam video's on the PC, but when I play them on my phone, silence, not my phone's fault though, cause when I play them on my phone directly from YT, I dó have sound ....!? Weird....

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah well, I grew up uin the 70's, sew me... hahaha

I dó have sound when I play dashcam video's on the PC, but when I play them on my phone, silence, not my phone's fault though, cause when I play them on my phone directly from YT, I dó have sound ....!? Weird....
don't worry about the music, I have very eclectic taste in music

missing codecs would be why you get no sound when playing the files on the phone, YouTube re-encode the video, which phone, which OS version?

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
don't worry about the music, I have very eclectic taste in music

missing codecs would be why you get no sound when playing the files on the phone, YouTube re-encode the video, which phone, which OS version?
so we're cool about that! Sweet. OK, Moto Z Play, Android 8.0.0. Didn't have that issue before. And on RC-GROUPS the embedded video's play with sound, well, windnoise mostly... :confused:

jokiin

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've got a Z Play but I don't use it anymore, I don't recall anything unusual about it though

try VLC or MXplayer and you will likely find audio is ok

OP
dirkzelf

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've got a Z Play but I don't use it anymore, I don't recall anything unusual about it though

try VLC or MXplayer and you will likely find audio is ok
I know the audio is OK, I said that in my o.p., it's just that I can't choose for a media player when I click the video while on the dashcam site... Never mind, I don't expect you to solve it, just wondered if it was just me or everyone.

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG, Viofo/GitUp, Mobius
Which player does it default to for playback?
I view DCT using Chrome browser (Pixel, Android 9). The videos just play within the browser, and yes I can hear the rock music :)