New install: Some issues

Baconfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I did tons of research over the past few months while I waited for my car to be built. This was the most expensive dashcam option but had a solid feature set compared to the competition. I pulled the trigger and ordered the BlackVue via Amazon Prime (new) last week and installed it into my 2016 BMW 550ix. I hard wired it with the Power Magic Pro to the fuse box in the trunk. I'm running a Sandisk 128gb SDXC card.

My problems:

1. I upgraded it to the latest firmware (V2.0) and the parking mode has a mind of its own. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. From the videos it seemed to just be constantly recording. There were no parking or event videos at all.
2. The GPS is only functional some of the time. No speed has ever been included with any video. (MPH) from what I could tell.
3. My device did not come with a QR code on it so the cloud code setup cannot be completed.
4. After 5 days of use I got in my car this morning and received a message on my BMW idrive that the battery was being discharged quickly. I have the default PMP settings/switches.

Today I downgraded to the 1.09 firmware. I'll see if this resolves the issues above.

My problem now with 1.09: The Blackvue app on my IOS 9.2 iPhone 6s crashes every time I try to change the default Wifi SSID and password. So either I stick with firmware v2 with reduced functionality/secure SSID and password or stay at firmware V1.09 with functionality but unsecured SSID and password.

Overall I'm impressed with the hardware but the software has lots of room for continued improvement. Hopefully the next firmware drop (beyond 2.0) will solve some of these glitches.

Any thoughts or advice are welcome.

LB

In reply to your points

1. Turn the motion sensitivity off (slider all the way the left) This will stop it recording all the time.

2. The latest firmware is V2.001. This will sort the GPS issue.

3. If after 5 days the battery is going down then you need to alter the settings on the PMP or check it's wired in properly.

I used to have the same problem on my Merc. However I changed the permanent live feed to directly to the battery.

The other thing is what sort of journeys are you doing? In this weather your car is using a lot more power (lights, heating, heated seats etc) than normal and if you're only doing short journeys it will be killing the battery rather than charging it.

4. Delete and reinstall the BlackVue C app or use the other BlackVue app now that you're on V1.009

You can also try the custom firmware. However I am also now back on V1.009 and this is an example of a screenshot from my car (taken 2 days ago) at 50+ mph. You can clearly read VRN's so you shouldn't have any issue with V1.009 in terms of video quality. (8.5mbps when on highest setting vs fixed 6mps on the V2+ firmware).

b2bf7f7af7db4475c9ecb39599dc4d98.jpg

fa48829d437ff5024b609e3f010cd253.jpg

To be honest unless your car has LTE built in (wireless hotspot) then the cloud function (although useful) wears off after a while. Especially if only you or your Mrs drives it.

I'm starting to think there is either something wrong with the camera or the Power Magic Pro device. I was driving down the road yesterday and I heard "Parking mode enabled" more than once. I went back and confirmed it was wired correctly to the fuse box. I used a pen light voltmeter to test and confirm everything was wired correctly.

I'm running the V1.009 firmware currently. I tried the 2.001 but it was problematic. I still can't change the SSID/Password with the V1.009 firmware using the Blackvue App on my iPhone 6s ios v9.2. The Blackvue App crashes every time I click on the SSID/Password change option.

I'm wondering if I should just contact Blackvue at this point to see if I'm having a hardware issue with either the camera or the PMP device at this point.

LB

Might be best to contact them.

I have a 6 Plus and I'm running iOS 9.2.1 (I'm a registered developer) and I don't have any issues with my iPhone or BlackVue app. The only time I have a reinstall of the BlackVue C App cured it. Have you tried the original BlackVue app? The one with the black logo like this?

8cdc9c2d6f642d5297e246f1e1fd2bc5.jpg

Easy way to tell if the PMP is faulty is remove it and run the device without it. If the camera works fine at that point you know it's the PMP. If not then you know it's the camera.

I'm using the older Blackvue iPhone app. That's the one that crashes every time I try and change the WIFI SSID/Password. I haven't tried to use the Blackvue C app since downgrading back to firmware version 1.009 from 2.001. I'll try the Blackvue C app later today and see if it will work with the 1.009 firmware I have installed.

LB

I'm starting to think there is either something wrong with the camera or the Power Magic Pro device. I was driving down the road yesterday and I heard "Parking mode enabled" more than once. I went back and confirmed it was wired correctly to the fuse box. I used a pen light voltmeter to test and confirm everything was wired correctly.

I'm running the V1.009 firmware currently. I tried the 2.001 but it was problematic. I still can't change the SSID/Password with the V1.009 firmware using the Blackvue App on my iPhone 6s ios v9.2. The Blackvue App crashes every time I click on the SSID/Password change option.

I'm wondering if I should just contact Blackvue at this point to see if I'm having a hardware issue with either the camera or the PMP device at this point.

LB
I.. was under the impression that the "parking mode" is activated by a) no movement as detected by the GPS or b) no movement as detected by the "G" sensor(s). If.. you are connected to the GPS satellites when this parking mode activates .. or your G sensors are set too low while driving then I think you have a defective unit...

So the Blackvue C app can control the unit running in the 1.009 firmware. I was able to change the WIFI SSID/Password successfully. I haven't seen any battery discharge notifications on the BMW iDrive since downgrading to the 1.009 firmware and confirming the PMP was installed correctly. I also confirmed the GPS/MPH works in the videos now with v1.009. So far so good.

Thanks for the assist folks.

LB

Glad all seems to be working well. Keep us posted on how you get on.

I also ended up switching from 2.001 to 1.009 (actually I just saw on the BlackVue website that 2.002 is out).

Both iOS apps (original and C apps) work with the older Firmware...
I also found that the Cloud function wouldn't work for me because I do not subscribe to an "all-location" LTE hotspot to take advantage of always having a Wifi connection to the car.... although it would be great to get a push text on my iPhone if someone bumped my car.

One thing I noticed when going down from 2.001 to 1.009 is that the videos load/transfer much slower now. Is it my imagination, or is the newer firmware (noticeably) faster?
I also noticed that the BlackVue would connect to a WiFi signal much faster on 2.001 as well, and it takes much longer for the white Wifi LED light to show up on 1.009.

Anyone else notice this?

Pretty much same findings as me. I also noticed that GPS locks much faster on V2.001 (not tried .002) than v1.009. It can take up to 2mins sometimes on 1.009. 2.001 took at most 10secs

The main stumbling block for me is the reduction in bitrate. I didn't think it would be that significant but on a good day I can read VRN's at 50mph+. That's on vehicles coming towards me. So closing speed of 100mph+

On 2.001 I can't read one above 30mph and that's static vehicles.

I might try 2.002 and see how it performs.

I really can't see why they have to reduce the bitrate so much just to enable cloud function.

They should give you the option to have the higher bitrate or cloud function. I've suggested this to them but not holding my breath.

Pretty much same findings as me. I also noticed that GPS locks much faster on V2.001 (not tried .002) than v1.009. It can take up to 2mins sometimes on 1.009. 2.001 took at most 10secs

The main stumbling block for me is the reduction in bitrate. I didn't think it would be that significant but on a good day I can read VRN's at 50mph+. That's on vehicles coming towards me. So closing speed of 100mph+

On 2.001 I can't read one above 30mph and that's static vehicles.

I might try 2.002 and see how it performs.

I really can't see why they have to reduce the bitrate so much just to enable cloud function.

They should give you the option to have the higher bitrate or cloud function. I've suggested this to them but not holding my breath.

Let us know if you notice anything different in 2.002 which was released yesterday.
Agree on all your comments, especially about the bitrate and noticeable improvement in video quality on the older firmware.

I'm not expecting much as it's only stability improvements.

Back