New installation, please critique...

James Kenitz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I recently installed the SG9665GC with CPL filter in my 2012 Mazda3. I'm very satisfied so far with the device and the quality of video. There are a couple of sample videos below.

I'm still fine tuning so please feel free to make suggestions... i.e. does the 60/40 ratio seem about right?

Should I maybe adjust the EV down by a click or two? I seem to be getting some washout during the day depending on where the sun is in the sky (located in FL so almost always a sunny day). May need to better clean the windshield since there is some streaking at night with bright lights.

Also there seems to be a slight stutter to the video but I'm not sure if that is normal or not.

1ze8i05.jpg

Thanks much,
JD

I would move that cam up about 15cm so that the lens Is just sticking down under the black dots to give it more stealth

Is just me or is the camera out of focus? Looks like it should be focused just a little farther.

Right. It just seems that the dashboard is in much better focus than anything else.

Jokiin,

Thank you for the link, etc. I plan on playing with the EV values to hopefully find a happy medium.

Wozzzzza,

I've thought about readjusting the location but I would need to get more adhesive material first. This was the second mounting attempt. It is barely noticeable as it is though. You would have to actively look to even notice.

Lacibaci,

That's a good point you bring up about the focus. The dash always seems to be in perfect focus but the outside world often is out of focus or takes a longish time to come into focus. Should I experiment with changing the angle of the lens? Maybe if the camera sees less near-field i.e. dash it will concentrate more on further-away objects. I have the raw files uploaded to my Dropbox if that is helpful. Here is an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94c63z1y91x89i9/2016_0310_110656_014.MOV?dl=0

JD

I would move that cam up about 15cm so that the lens Is just sticking down under the black dots to give it more stealth

I would do that too, that way you will allso not have any use for the cable hider thingy.
Offcourse this will put your camera up behind the RVM, but thats allright you have no need to look at the little screen other than a fjew times changing settings and upgrading firmware.

What you can then see of the 2 cables i would just tape together with black tape, then it should be stiff and short enuff to not need any support between the camera and the headliner.

I will be relocating my camera tomorrow, noting major, just 10 mm lower than it is now where its so high on my windscreen its allmost impossible to remove the camera.

Focus looks normal/good.

Thank you for the feedback! I want to of course maximize the performance of my setup but I must say I am very happy with the product so far!

JD

Focus looks normal/good.
Hmm I personally would have thought the focus on the cars and road signs is slightly soft and could be better.
I am suspecting the reflection on the front windscreen could cause the camera to mis-focus on some occasions, and the CPL filter comes in handy on those occasions.

Is there any way to adjust the focus? I could definitely see room for improvement...that raw video file was one of the better looking examples. I also am running the CPL btw.

Not user adjustable, can you send us a sample without the CPL filter on when you get a chance also

thanks for that, something in an open air shopping mall carpark or similar where there's lot of cars around at various distances would be ideal, it gives us lots of reference points

I used PNY and Transcend 64GB in my 'GC' cameras with no issues.

Thanks I was just reading about the sandisk issues. Any thoughts on the Samsung Evo cards? Otherwise I'll just go with the Transcend again (400x?).

What write/read speeds does the camera require?

Back