New Lukas LK-7200. What is this vertical line?

Dish Dash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello dash cam experts,
I installed a new Lukas LK-7200 last week. I am seeing a thin, vertical line all the way from the top of the frame to the bottom in all the video clips it creates. It is in every frame at the exact same place. I have posted a screenshot here: https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share?s=kfa2ig5KRS8p9R2hUCDYyg
(Note: You will have to download that file to see the line. The small preview on that link isn't big enough to see the line.)

I notified Lukas a couple of days ago and they are looking at a video I sent them to find out what may be wrong. Meanwhile, I thought I might post here and see if you have any ideas on what might cause this.

Thank you

Its a so called "dead pixel line", mostly it can be seen on LCD screens.

Thank you, Niko. Are you implying that the sensor has a defect?
This is just my suggestion and an explanation based on similarity vs LCD screen ( I might be wrong ). I havnt had any dead pixel dashcam yet, but had 5-6y ago one LCD TV with same dead pixel effect like I see from your photo.

On LCD TV there was no dead pixel first 2-3 minutes, only after system got warm, then this line appeared.
Is this the same with your dashcam videos or this line appears is from very first cold-start moment ?

Thanks for your suggestions, Niko. Yes, the line appears right from the first frame after the camera is turned on. So I don't think heat is a factor.
Let's see what Qrontech/Lukas has to say. They have been quite responsive via email so far.

Well, Qrontech/Lukas hasn't responded in almost a week. I contacted the US distributor, Pro Com, who sold me the camera (via amazon.com). I am very impressed with how quick and professional they were in shipping me a replacement via overnight mail even before they received my defective unit. The replacement works well.

I am allso not having much luck with mailing Qrontech/Lukas, i do not like ppl who run ther "stuff" that way, so the LK-7500 i have will most likely be my one and only Lukas product.
But in all fairness my 7500 have allways been performing flawless, aside from a singel buggy update of firmware 1 time.

To be fair to them, perhaps I should have waited a bit longer. An hour after I posted here, they responded to me to let me know that it was indeed a defect, and that they were aware that the US distributor was already in touch with me for a replacement. I guess I misunderstood their brief silence as inaction.

I have also been in touch with them for about 10 days now in beta-testing a Mac OS X version of the Viewer for the LK-7200. I'm quite happy with how diligent they have been in ensuring that the issues I report are researched and fixed.

The LK-7200 product also seems very good, barring the initial defective unit I got. It is a very reasonably priced unit considering its build quality, image quality, built-in GPS, battery-less super cap design, permanent wiring (vs cigarette lighter) with low voltage cutoff for the car battery, Mac+Windows support.

My experience with Qrontech/Lukas is just about 10 days old, but it has been positive.

Back