new mini 0805 user help

Panzo

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello i just bricked my 0803 and bough a 0805, i have 2 questions.
what is the best format to record in? 45 fps? 21:9? HDR?
HDR used to be a separate option in my older model 0803 now it seems to be a dedicated option to just one setting.
Also should i be drilling holes in order to prevent over heating? my 0803 batter has died probably in regards to this what should i do? thanks!

...i have 2 questions....

1. what is the best format to record in?
21:9

2. HDR used to be a separate option in my older model 0803 now it seems to be a dedicated option to just one setting?
0803 had WDR not HDR, all the other modes on the 0805 have WDR as standard.

3. should i be drilling holes in order to prevent over heating?
It doesn't get as hot as the 0803 so drilling holes should be unnecessary, however a sun shade above it would be wise.

4. my 0803 batter has died probably in regards to this what should i do?
You can replace the battery, not too difficult, any lipo battery of the same physical size should work fine. You said it was bricked though, that takes a bit more effort to sort but can be done.

hi thanks for the reply why is the 21:9 the best format, I'm looking at the videos on my laptop and the licence plates are incredibly hard to read? from a distance of a few car lengths away?

Sit in a car park & setup the camera. Park so that you have a good view of a few licence plates at different distances if possible.
Then go through the menu.
Start at 21:9, set to 1st resolution, record for a minute. Set to 2nd resolution, record another minute etc.
Set to next ratio & do the same as above.
A bit tedious I know but when played back, you'll see what each setting does

i understand the ratios, there aspect ratio, and the resolution are just resolution, but why is 21:9 the besT? is it because of the FOV the camera has? or the lens?

i understand the ratios, there aspect ratio, and the resolution are just resolution, but why is 21:9 the besT? is it because of the FOV the camera has? or the lens?
The best does depend on what you want from the camera, if you want the longest recording time before looping at the expense of anything else then 21:9 will not be the best.

However 21:9 does give the best resolution on license plates because it has the highest number of pixels across the recorded image so more detail can be stored in the recorded image, more pixels means that each one covers a smaller part of the image so can record finer detail.

Each pixel in 21:9 mode also covers a smaller part of the license plate since 21:9 mode has a narrower field of view than the rest of the modes. Thus you get more detail recorded on the license plate at the expense of loosing a few pixels at the sides of the image.

In addition, the 21:9 mode has the highest bitrate thus allowing more detail to be stored in the video file and because the top and bottom of the image are missing that extra bitrate is only covering approximately the same image area thus is used to improve the image quality rather than just record more image.

In addition, the 21:9 mode records at the sensors native resolution while all the other modes scale the image and since the scaling factor isn't exactly 1:2 or 1:3, the scaling puts distortions in any diagonal lines making them look jagged instead of smooth. When the diagonal lines are the edges of numbers on a license plate and so only a few pixels long that can seriously affect the readability of the license plate. Edges on the 21:9 mode are always smooth as long as you view it at 1:1, for most computers / monitors that means zooming in a bit until the image fills the screen rather than having black bars at the top and bottom and then panning left or right to see what is off the side. Registrator Viewer allows you to zoom and pan.

Note: That explanation is based on the 0806 but I believe it is also correct for the 0805.

Sorry, I should've added - you'll then see which setting you like/suits you best

Hello i just bricked my 0803 and bough a 0805, i have 2 questions.
what is the best format to record in? 45 fps? 21:9? HDR?
HDR used to be a separate option in my older model 0803 now it seems to be a dedicated option to just one setting.
Also should i be drilling holes in order to prevent over heating? my 0803 batter has died probably in regards to this what should i do? thanks!

Best format to record in what purpose? If license plate is your main concern, then what Nigel explained is the best answer so far. But if you're trying to generalize your video recording, then you might want to choose a setting with more frames per second. I chose the license plate capture clarity because that's what you really want your dash cam to do. everything else falls second.

Back