New Mini 3 user - Confused as hell! Faulty camera?

joeysnowy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a mini2 in my car for a couple of years. Works nicely. I got my wife a camera for her car and went with Mini 3 as the reviews seemed good (ooops, i believed Amazon reviews, what a silly boy I am, it's so rife with fraud I think a class action suit against Amazon should happen soon!)

First use was yesterday. We had a 6-7 hour drive. On the way we VERY nearly had a huge crash when some idiot swerved across all three lanes and nearly took us out. How we avoided the collision I don't know, and with 4 kids on board it was pretty damn scary. I wanted to get the number plate of the car today so I grabbed the Mini 3 out of the bracket, and as per instructions, I connected it to computer. It powers up (orange light comes on) but the computer does not recognise it at all. I tried two macs, two PCs, and even a linux laptop I have. None of the computers recognise the internal card (unlike Mini 2 which does show up if i take the SD card out and plug that into any computer)

I do not trust many apps on smart phones, they are nearly all spyware. But I even installed the DDPAI app temporarily to set the camera up on an old phone I don't carry with me. I used that to browse the files on this Mini 3 and all it shows is 16 photos and some video clips going back only 3-4 hours, so we have not got the footage of the incident I wanted. Surely a 32 GB card should store more than that?

Even more confusing.... My Mini3 says "32GB" on it. But in the DDPAI app, under storage management, it shows 64GB capacity, and it shows around 29GB used and 30 available. WTF?! So it says it still has half capacity remaining, yet my incident from 5 hours ago isn't on the device.

I am totally confused, and disappointed. Are these Mini3s a scam?

Assuming in 32GB of which 30,000MB is usable and one minute is about 120MB per file (I don't have a Mini3, so I'm inferring the filesize from Mola N3 which uses the same 4MP sensor). That gives you about 250 minutes or 4 hours and a bit.

You did try to connect the Mini3 to PC via the micro USB port right? Because I tried once on the MiniONE using the 3.5mm round jack to USB cable, nothing detects. Turns out those pins are just for power.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R mini3 2
S mini3 0
W mini3 5
G mini3 2
W mini3 1
Back