New Mini0806 firmware released for testing

mariomart

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 Mini, Viofo A119 V3, Viofo A119S V2
Just a heads up that 0806firmware-160104 has been released for download and testing on www.mini0806.com in the Updates section.

I've installed it on my camera without issue but haven't had a chance to test it yet.

All I've done is go through the settings to see if anything has changed. I'm not familiar with what was on my old firmware, but I'm pretty sure that there was no "Parking Guard" option on my last firmware but it is now available as an option on this newer firmware. I'm using the cigarette lighter power cord so I haven't enabled this option.

Cheers :)

good insight

Good Evening @Rayman.Chan

Is there a list of changes/improvements available for this new firmware?

It would be nice to know what to look out for in the bug department.

Cheers :)

Okay, just discovered that in this firmware they have fixed the wrongly labeled memory card slots. So now slot A is actually slot A. I found this out after trying to work out why the camera wasn't recording, because originally I had the firmware sending the recording to slot A because I had a memory card in slot B with nothing in slot A. All else appears to be working correctly.

Okay, just discovered that in this firmware they have fixed the wrongly labeled memory card slots. So now slot A is actually slot A. I found this out after trying to work out why the camera wasn't recording, because originally I had the firmware sending the recording to slot A because I had a memory card in slot B with nothing in slot A. All else appears to be working correctly.

that's a coding error, if no card present it should fall back to the other card

Okay, just discovered that in this firmware they have fixed the wrongly labeled memory card slots. So now slot A is actually slot A.
Ooh, that could actually be a problem for me! I have two cards in it, it is set to auto choose cards, and I have it mounted the normal way up.
This way it normally records to the easily accessible slot at the bottom. I swap that card out each day to backup notable incidents. But if the card fails or I fail to put one in it will record to the top card.
If auto-choosing cards now defaults to the top card, that means I'll have to keep removing the whole camera to get at it causing wear and tear on the mount.

OR ... am I misreading this? Does it just change the letter referencing and other behaviour remains the same?

I suppose I could test this and roll back if necessary.

Old Firmware Slot A = Hardware Labeled Slot B
Old Firmware Slot B = Hardware Labeled Slot A

New Firmware Slot A = Hardware Labeled Slot A
New Firmware Slot B = Hardware Labeled Slot B

Ooh, that could actually be a problem for me! I have two cards in it, it is set to auto choose cards, and I have it mounted the normal way up.
This way it normally records to the easily accessible slot at the bottom. I swap that card out each day to backup notable incidents. But if the card fails or I fail to put one in it will record to the top card.
If auto-choosing cards now defaults to the top card, that means I'll have to keep removing the whole camera to get at it causing wear and tear on the mount.

OR ... am I misreading this? Does it just change the letter referencing and other behaviour remains the same?

I suppose I could test this and roll back if necessary.
I think you need to set it to use the bottom card, then if it fails or disappears it will automatically use the backup card in the other slot. If you leave it on Auto as you have now then it will alternate between the cards and you wont know which card to look at to find your files!

Some confusion. I got no change in behaviour after upgrading.

The camera itself correctly identifies the top slot (near USB port) as A and lower slot (near HDMI port) as B.
When connecting to my PC it presents them in reverse order: Slot B grabs the lowest drive letter, slot A gets the next one.
(It's possible the PC is remembering these letters - I haven't run Disk Management.)
When set to Auto, the camera still defaults to slot B.

My old version: 0806 FW 20150320 V1.0
from 0806firmware-150323-DCT.zip
from https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/0806firmware-150323-dct-custom-bitrate-version.11232/

New version: FW 20160104 V1.04

I think you need to set it to use the bottom card, then if it fails or disappears it will automatically use the backup card in the other slot. If you leave it on Auto as you have now then it will alternate between the cards and you wont know which card to look at to find your files!
That isn't at all intuitive, but I've tested and what you suggest does indeed do what I want.
But I'm sure setting it to Auto did too. I think it depends which cards are full. The exact circumstance where the Auto setting kicks in is a bit of a mystery. I think once card A is full it will remain unused unless you completely fill card B in a single session, which I've never done and likely never will.

Unless that issue has been fixed in the new firmware???

Edit> Running a test now.
  • Emptied both cards.
  • Set card select to Auto.
  • Left camera recording while plugged into mains charger. Starts recording to card B.
  • Hours later... has started recording to card A. I noticed the running timer has reset.
  • Hours later... recording to B again.
  • Powered off/on... continues recording to B
  • Deleted files from A to make room. Powered off/on. Still starts recording to B.

Last edited:
please test and check out

• Emptied both cards.
  • Set card select to Auto.
  • Left camera recording while plugged into mains charger. Starts recording to card B.
  • Hours later... has started recording to card A. I noticed the running timer has reset.

it would auto change cards before too, just as long as you didn't stop the recording, once restarted it was defaulting back to one card only

it would auto change cards before too, just as long as you didn't stop the recording, once restarted it was defaulting back to one card only
Yes, I wanted to see if it ever starts recording to A. It doesn't seem to, even if A is the only one with free space.
I should have really found some small cards to test with. :oops:
To all intents and purposes, Auto was doing before what I thought it was: always writing to the lower, easily accessible slot B under my usage pattern.

• [1]Emptied both cards.
    [2]Set card select to Auto.
    [3]Left camera recording while plugged into mains charger. Starts recording to card B.
    [4]Hours later... has started recording to card A. I noticed the running timer has reset.
    [5]Hours later... recording to B again.
    [6]Powered off/on... continues recording to B
    [7]Deleted files from A to make room. Powered off/on. Still starts recording to B.

the camera was recall it has been recording on card B last time so it starts on B after reboot when your 7# process.
If you stop recording when it is on card A, it will start on A next time and recover the old files.

please test more time. (we use 8GB cards here to test easier, which only store 52 minutes.)

by the way, please don't delete the bookmark file in card if you haven't delete files.

New firmware is working fine for me so far (although I don't use card switching so I can't talk about that).

The camera did freeze on me once, but I believe that was my fault - I was inserting into the stand, inserting an SD card, and triggered the parking guard G sensor function all at the same time. It's been fine since then.

I still wish there were a way to use FCWS without LDWS also being on.

How does the new firmware compare to Nigel's excellent firmware? What improvements were made?

How does the new firmware compare to Nigel's excellent firmware? What improvements were made?

Your guess is as good as mine. So far the firmware has been the same - although I'm pretty sure it's a lower bitrate than with Nigel's modifications.

How do i go about updating the firmware? Do i simply copy the new file into the camera when it's connected to the pc as a usb device and then delete the old firmware file?

Back