New Opia2 recording problems

Fun2drive

Reaction score
Country
United States
Newbie owner of Opia2, but veteran owner of many dashcams. I recently received an Opia2, updated the firmware to version 2.5, formatted the sd card in the camera and put all settings to default. I've tried two different SD cards, one is a generic card sent with the camera (teamgroup? Class 10 64gb) and the other is a Sandisk 128gb Class 10. The issue I'm having is the camera will randomly stop recording without any warning or error and other times it will say "slow card" and stop recording. I am recording at 1440 30fps. This type of card is the fastest I know of and should work, the manual even recommends Sandisk. What am I doing wrong? Is there another SD card which is more compatible with the Opia2 or did I get a dud camera? I saw some posts on Amazon and other places with this issue and some people gave up and returned the camera. I like the features and video quality, so I want this to work. Help!

I'm surprised to see they listed SanDisk without being more specific. Don't use SanDisk Ultra cards. They are the most troublesome cards in dash cameras. On their website they actually say their cameras don't support the SanDisk Ultra cards.
http://www.vicovation.com/pagelist.asp?keyid=2&lang=eng
Not sure if that's what you using, but if it is I would try another card. Transcend is one of the most recommended.

I'm surprised to see they listed SanDisk without being more specific. Don't use SanDisk Ultra cards. They are the most troublesome cards in dash cameras. On their website they actually say their cameras don't support the SanDisk Ultra cards.
http://www.vicovation.com/pagelist.asp?keyid=2&lang=eng
Not sure if that's what you using, but if it is I would try another card. Transcend is one of the most recommended.

Thanks, I didn't see that notice earlier. I'm glad I already had the card and didn't purchase it specifically for this camera. I'll try the Transcend.

Can I use 128gb or should I stick with 64gb? Also which Transcend are known to work, Premium and/or Ultimate? I'll buy whichever one at any price to decrease the chance of errors and recording issues.

Thanks a bunch, this problem has taken up too much of my time already.

Last edited:
Transcend High Endurance would probably be the best choice. The Opia can support up to 128gb, but I don't think there is a 128gb High Endurance card yet. A 64gb card will give you around 6-8 hours at 1440p before it loops.

Transcend High Endurance would probably be the best choice. The Opia can support up to 128gb, but I don't think there is a 128gb High Endurance card yet. A 64gb card will give you around 6-8 hours at 1440p before it loops.

The Transcend High Endurance looks like a great card for dashcams. Anyone have one of these in their Opia2? The write speed seems much slower than other cards, but I like that it is MLC flash memory.

Edit: So I tried plugging the camera into a wall outlet instead of my car to see if there was a power issue and it recorded problem-free with a generic card for 7 straight hours and then stopped recording on its own. Does this mean it's not the card? Why would it record so much longer and then stop again? When it was in my car it would record for a maximum of 15 minutes before stopping and a few minutes later start recording and repeat every few minutes. I never had one issue from the three other dashcams I've used and this is frustrating to say the least. It's like I'm doing a middle school project on cameras to determine what makes them work the best.

Last edited:
The Transcend High Endurance looks like a great card for dashcams. Anyone have one of these in their Opia2? The write speed seems much slower than other cards, but I like that it is MLC flash memory.

Edit: So I tried plugging the camera into a wall outlet instead of my car to see if there was a power issue and it recorded problem-free with a generic card for 7 straight hours and then stopped recording on its own. Does this mean it's not the card? Why would it record so much longer and then stop again? When it was in my car it would record for a maximum of 15 minutes before stopping and a few minutes later start recording and repeat every few minutes. I never had one issue from the three other dashcams I've used and this is frustrating to say the least. It's like I'm doing a middle school project on cameras to determine what makes them work the best.
any updates on this?

Just saw this thread. When I got my Opia2 in December I got a Transcend HE 32gb card with it. It was working flawlessly but only getting around 3 hours of recording time. I recently switched over to a Lexar HE 64gb card for more recording time but its been sketchy. I had to return the first one because it died in the first 24 hours and the second one has needed to be reformatted every time I took it out of the cam to transfer files to my computer. I might return it for the Transcend HE 64gb because that seems more reliable even if it is more money.

Back