New owner - Any specific advice?

Ben_W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys.

My parents have bought me a 512GW and the rear camera as a combined birthday/Christmas present. They worry about me (as parents do!) as I do a lot of mileage commuting (40k pa), mostly dodging morons on the motorway as I'm sure a number of you do!

I'm pretty mechanically and electronically competent so I'm going to attempt to hard wire it myself (whilst Halfords could, their reputation for quality work isn't all that great...) into a Mk7.5 Golf GTD, using the Nextbase kit. I'd like to have the intelligent parking mode on so will look for a permanent live fuse.

I'm starting to read through a number of the threads here but is/are there any pertinent points around this set up I'd need to know before I start? I'm aware of the drop in quality of the front camera when the rear is connected over just having the front, aware the G sensor can be pretty sensitive (especially with parking mode and closing of course doors etc). Aside from those, is there anything else I need to know about before I begin?

Thanks

Ben

Is your VW stop/start ?

If so you'll need to find a circuit that doesn't cut when the starter motor fires up.

Yes, it is, and I guess thats a very good point actually.....

Yep, if the circuit is cut then the cam will go into powerdown mode using the inbuilt battery to record a few more seconds to perform an orderly shutdown.
Then during that, if a quick stop start, power is restored and it may not realise so stays off till the next stop start.

I'm only guessing but reading other posts it sounds like a possibility.

I shall ask on the Facebook group for the GTD I'm part of and see what responses I get. I may as well ask which fuses others have used to hardwire.

The stop/start system is generally a bit of a pain I find. Cuts in as you slow down to just a few mph as you approach a junction, which then kills the steering etc. It is easily.switched off but it defaults to being on every time the ignition is recycled. I have considered having it coded so that it defaults to being off and if you want it on, you have to switch it on......anyhow, I'm digressing here! Will see what info I can find.

Thanks

It switches hes off the engine whilst you are still moving?:eek: Good grief, what DH designed that to happen?
On my Honda you have to be stationary, out of gear and foot off clutch before it stops the engine. That is when it works, which is rarely, on my car.

It switches hes off the engine whilst you are still moving?:eek: Good grief, what DH designed that to happen?
On my Honda you have to be stationary, out of gear and foot off clutch before it stops the engine. That is when it works, which is rarely, on my car.

Certainly does.....once it's down to maybe 3mph and you are slowing to a stop, it does it. Mines a DSG, not sure if that makes any difference but it is a pain, hence why I'd like to have it coded to work the other way.....

'Fraid I can't get my head around your TLAs.:ROFLMAO:

Three Letter Abbreviation

DSG is VW's dual clutch automated manual gearbox. They are OK out on the open road but slow manoeuvres like reversing into a tight garage or parallel parking are notoriously difficult with the latest dry clutch versions.

Ford are in the process of ditching theirs and going back to torque converter as the DSG, or Powershift in Ford's case, are proving unreliable and expensive to repair.

I have the 512gw with rear cam. Here is what I find. If you want to use parking mode (and why not) the camera battery can flatten very quickly. There is an issue here that will result in a failure to record. The moment the cars 12v supply takes over from a virtually flat camera battery will cause it to crash. Not every time but you will need to check it's actually working. I'm on my second camera, support have sent me one of their sd cards and now they want to replace the cameras. But I think it's a hardware/software issue that remains unresolved. The only way round it if you needed parking mode would be to fit a power bank in line like the celllink or Duracell. I don't have an issue if I turn off parking mode. Secondly, on it's own, the front camera produces very good video. Connect the rear and now the £150 front camera is worse than the £50 rear. I've removed the rear.

Last edited:
I suggested an inline powerbank some time ago. I don't use parking mode but if I did I'd wire one in. In theory it's a sort of UPS.

I suggested an inline powerbank some time ago. I don't use parking mode but if I did I'd wire one in. In theory it's a sort of UPS.
Yes, its a must, especially with stop start. Even connected to a permanent live the start stop may cause a drop in power and the camera to freeze.

TBH Idon't think I'd wire a PB to a permanent live.

I bought a Energizer powerbank from Argos in the summer, not for dashcam use, because Which? reckon they're the 'best on test'.

It's a:

UE10007
10,000mAh
37Wh
Input - 5v 2.0A
Output - 5v 2.1A

How you would wire it in I haven't thought.

Charge via a hard wired 12V to 5V charger.

I bought a Energizer powerbank from Argos in the summer, not for dashcam use, because Which? reckon they're the 'best on test'.

It's a:

UE10007
10,000mAh
37Wh
Input - 5v 2.0A
Output - 5v 2.1A

How you would wire it in I haven't thought.
I see it can do pass through charging. Did which review the duracell?

The Duracell features 'flight approved' along with a myriad of safety features. Probably marketing spin.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Warren Chrol 512GW 13
Back