New Owner Concerns/Dilemna

Ron O

Reaction score
Country
United States
I received my SJ7 a few days ago (I am in US and purchased from Amazon) and am quite happy with the image quality. I AM concerned about the amount of heat generated when filming in 4K. It gets so hot it is uncomfortable to hold in my hand. I have read that SJ has admitted that they will be making changes to the camera (new faceplate material, possible add ventilation holes, and possible firmware changes) to address high heat. Should I return the camera and wait till the changes are implemented or will I be OK with the camera as is? I am also concerned that it is very hard to find batteries from any US sellers. I really hate ordering from China as the transit time is so long. There appear to be very few accessories available here is the USA. Do you think this will improve or will I be stuck ordering everything from China?

How about fitting one of those silicone cases?
The same material used for oven gloves etc to stop you burning your fingers when cooking :cautious:

Original-font-b-SJCAM-b-font-M10-SJ4000-SJ5000-Series-Soft-font-b-Silicone-b-font.jpg

Hmm, nobody seems to sell one for the SJ7, maybe they have more sense than I thought :D

I found the temp. is only warm to my face. It'll be some time before aftermarket starts to produce many accessory options as it does for Gopro Hero, if ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the temp. is only warm to my face. !

Just for clarity, was this through the insulative silicone case or directly to the cam itself?

@Ron O - Ordering from China is more certain and faster if you choose express shipping but then you lose much of the cost savings. Still they will often have items not easily found elsewhere. As you probably know, after-sales service is usually a nightmare with them. I'll buy from them, but only items where I can tolerate the loss if I get a dud.

Phil

It gets so hot it is uncomfortable to hold in my hand.

Ambarella devices in general get hotter and the metal housing conducts more heat.

If there is really a heat issue, the screw is probably touching a component. If you can fix it, then we can send you a picture and you can solder instead of using the screw. Or you can maybe send it back to us and we can fix it for you.

The Star that I recently received gets warm like my original Xiaomi Yi cam but not too hot to touch!
I suspect that the choice of Aluminum is for a heat sink!

Just for clarity, was this through the insulative silicone case or directly to the cam itself?

@Ron O - Ordering from China is more certain and faster if you choose express shipping but then you lose much of the cost savings. Still they will often have items not easily found elsewhere. As you probably know, after-sales service is usually a nightmare with them. I'll buy from them, but only items where I can tolerate the loss if I get a dud.

Phil
I do not have a silicone case. Camera very hot without any case.

Ambarella devices in general get hotter and the metal housing conducts more heat.

If there is really a heat issue, the screw is probably touching a component. If you can fix it, then we can send you a picture and you can solder instead of using the screw. Or you can maybe send it back to us and we can fix it for you.
I can solder if necessary. Please send me a picture and instructions on how to do the repair. Thanks.

I can solder if necessary. Please send me a picture and instructions on how to do the repair. Thanks.

You'll probably get a faster response if you reply directly to the member's post or add their screenname like this: @sjcam_official to your own post so that the member gets a notification message ;) SJcam should see your post now and get you the pic :cool:

Phil

NOTE: SJCAM DOES NOT recommend removing the faceplate or doing work by yourselves. There is a connector cable attached to the Faceplate so be careful not to break/tear it when lifting the faceplate.

If it isn't the board, then it may be the sensor part of the unit.

The picture shows that we are now soldering instead of using a screw on that corner. If you have a screw, then it could be touching the other soldered part of the board.

If there is no touching in between, then it could be a sensor issue. These units do get hot depending on length of continued use / weather, etc. If it is unbearably hot, the we recommend opening a ticket at support.sjcamhd.com and we can maybe begin a RMA process.

Again, Damaging the Board and/or removing the faceplate could void your SJCAM warranty.

Attachments

• sj7 board.png
    sj7 board.png
    563.2 KB · Views: 24
NOTE: SJCAM DOES NOT recommend removing the faceplate or doing work by yourselves. There is a connector cable attached to the Faceplate so be careful not to break/tear it when lifting the faceplate.

If it isn't the board, then it may be the sensor part of the unit.

The picture shows that we are now soldering instead of using a screw on that corner. If you have a screw, then it could be touching the other soldered part of the board.

If there is no touching in between, then it could be a sensor issue. These units do get hot depending on length of continued use / weather, etc. If it is unbearably hot, the we recommend opening a ticket at support.sjcamhd.com and we can maybe begin a RMA process.

Again, Damaging the Board and/or removing the faceplate could void your SJCAM warranty.

I might have the same issue. Mine SJ& gets too hot to touch even on 1080/60.

I just received my SJ7 (and first action cam ever) and as a newbie I am just trying to figure out its basic functions. First impression is that the build quality is superb. The waterproof case also seems very good, but I have a silly question to ask: Can the buttons be operated underwater with no possibility of leaking? (I am referring to swimming, not to deep scuba diving).Thanks

I just received my SJ7 (and first action cam ever) and as a newbie I am just trying to figure out its basic functions. First impression is that the build quality is superb. The waterproof case also seems very good, but I have a silly question to ask: Can the buttons be operated underwater with no possibility of leaking? (I am referring to swimming, not to deep scuba diving).Thanks
Sure, there is a touch door, and you can navigate everything underwater using the waterproof case buttons.... The case will not leak if you press the buttons :)

Back