New owner. Night video quality problem.

geo2884

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Hello. I just bought the B1W a week ago. Yesterday I pulled two videos from the camera, one in daylight and one from a night drive. I am satisfied with the daylight video, but the one from the night drive not so much. I have been watching night videos recorded with the B1W on Youtube before buying it, and sadly my night videos are not the same quality. The image is grainy and I cannot see license plates, only white halos. Everything is set correctly. A CPL filter would help ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• b1wns.jpg
    b1wns.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 26
It's due to your car's headlights. HID's?

Can be tuned in firmware to compensate by adjusting the metering but if the tuning is too aggressive, will darken the overall image under such situations.

Welcome to the forum.
Headlight reflections in license plates like the EU ones are not uncommon, some times WDR / HDR can help with that, also the type of bulbs in your headlights can have a say here.
A CPL filter will not help with this issue as far as i know

It have been so long since i tested the B1W so i can not recall my own night time experience with that camera.

What firmware are you on ?

My car ( 2012 Suzuki ) run 55 W H3 bulbs, i think this is pretty normal for a bulb,,,,, and still my headlight glass / plastic crack.
I will tag in someone that know more about their product, and possible what there is of newer firmware to try out, over to you @estore009

Actually just ordinary headlights with simple halogen bulbs (not the powerful ones).

Thank you. My current firmware is (out of the box, I didn't mingled with anything, yet) 200910.V00.2

Oh, the colour temperature and intensity is making it look otherwise.

There definitely room for improvement via firmware. @estore009 thoughts?

Actually, I may have an older camera/firmware, because on reddit I can see that the stock firmware should be 20180528s . Should I try to update to that firmware ?

I could be wrong but looking at that screenshot, you have very bright HID or LED headlights ?

I have a different dashcam but my new car with LED headlights does the same and these little dashcam boxes do struggle as they cannot reproduce the same quality as broadcast quality cameras, but they do a pretty good job considering.

I could be wrong but looking at that screenshot, you have very bright HID or LED headlights ?

I have a different dashcam but my new car with LED headlights does the same and these little dashcam boxes do struggle as they cannot reproduce the same quality as broadcast quality cameras, but they do a pretty good job considering.
I mentioned in a reply above that I have standard headlights with halogen bulbs.

It is the newest firmware! Anyway, you can load the older firmware to reboot it! But frankly speaking, B1W cannot support HDR.
Thanks for the reply. So the 20180528s firmware is older than what I have now ?

Yes, it is an older firmware 2018-05-28; Your camera with the newer firmware 2020-09-10.

Yes, it is an older firmware 2018-05-28; Your camera with the newer firmware 2020-09-10.
I understand. I have a question then. I already bought a hardwire kit, and connected it so the camera works only when the engine is on. If I want to wire it so I can have the parking mode, I must install the "B1W ParkMode 20180614s Firmware" from the site ? After that I still have to proceed like the manual says ? : "2. Press "Stop recording" button in mobile APP to activate parking mode before leaving your car" ?

I already bought a hardwire kit, and connected it so the camera works only when the engine is on.
Nope, you should connect its red wire to a 12V always-on socket, Black wire to GND, and yellow wire Unconnected!
I must install the "B1W ParkMode 20180614s Firmware" from the site ? After that I still have to proceed like the manual says ? : "2. Press "Stop recording" button in mobile APP to activate parking mode before leaving your car" ?
Both ways are okay for parking mode!

If you hardwired the dash cam, best to load the firmware 20180518s!
I noticed that when I turn the engine on, the dashcam takes about 10-15 seconds to boot and start recording. Does this happen when it is hardwired for parking mode ? Because if it is, there is no use for me. If the dashcam senses a shock , it will take too long to start recording and capture the offender.

Back