New owner, some questions. DOD LS300W

newfcam

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Call me a noob if you like :)

I just got my 300W yesterday. Liking it so far. Image seems sharp. Got it from the Canadian Authorized dealer. Paid too much for it imho, but I got it really quick. I got the small mount which worked out great as I have a 2013 Accord Touring and there's already a camera in the front for FCW right behind rear view mirror that's covered with a plastic piece that made it the perfect spot to mount and hide/run cables. Install came out very clean.

Been lurking here for near a year now. Just waiting for Blackvue to get their act together and build a decent cam. I just like their design and features. But it doesn't seem its ever going to happen so I jumped on this camera for now with the intention of moving it to the back window when I upgrade to another. Pitasoft just doesn't seem to give a care in the world for their product and customers from what I read here and other places.

So from what I can tell, a 16gig car will last 2 hours at 1080p settings?
I could have sworn this thing had Parking mode but I guess I messed up there. All I see is Gsensor, and motion detection which seems pointless. Gsensor is for what exactly? taking a major hit and protecting files from corruption I assume?

Any idea's on if a GPS add on module can plug into this? It seems the jack for it is there just covered up.

No GPS option, g sensor will automatically write protect current file in case of an incident, motion detection is for parking mode which needs permanent power to function correctly

ok, so my next question is:

Are there any lithium battery packs that would work with the DOD? Blackvue Tpower or Lukas UPS etc. I do not want to hard wire anything to the car(lease and picky dealer) , so I want to plug camera into the battery, then battery into the 12V accessory(cig lighter) and be done with it. Then motion detect should be ok.

jokiin said:
Wire it in with a fuse tap, no permanent mod required

Also my GT300W works normally/record with USB power bank if.

Buy a battery voltage cut-off device, approx 25usd and wire to fuse box.
Pity Tiotech based dash cams firmware does not offer auto function to go into parking ( motion detection ) mode, but hope they will upgrade a firmware in future.
The first Tiotech based WDR F1.6 dash cam with GPS option will be released in couple of weeks by Shadow Tec under GT550W name and supposably Foxoffer will be first to resell it to international buyers.

niko said:
The first Tiotech based WDR F1.6 dash cam with GPS option will be released in couple of weeks by Shadow Tec under GT550W name
Rumour or fact? Source (e.g. link) for that statement? Can't find anything about this device...
With GPS (and hopefully WiFi) this would be the gadget i desperatly waiting for..., if it comes in a few weeks, i will wait with buying anything else..., than a 2nd channel for back view and i would be happy... ;-) But i'm afraid about wishes comes not true, not even on x-mas... ;-)

fkhuebner said:
niko said:
The first Tiotech based WDR F1.6 dash cam with GPS option will be released in couple of weeks by Shadow Tec under GT550W name
Rumour or fact? Source (e.g. link) for that statement? Can't find anything about this device...
With GPS (and hopefully WiFi) this would be the gadget i desperatly waiting for..., if it comes in a few weeks, i will wait with buying anything else..., than a 2nd channel for back view and i would be happy... ;-) But i'm afraid about wishes comes not true, not even on x-mas... ;-)

There is a banner about GT550W on Shadow Tec webiste. Release info I got from my own sources in Chinese. Lets wait few weeks to confirm 100%. No GPS, just WiFi on GT550W model.

niko said:
niko said:
WDR F1.6 dash cam with GPS option
No GPS, just WiFi on GT550W model.
With or without GPS?
WiFi (along with Smartphone Apps) and a second channel for back view would be nice, but included GPS (with the possibillity to export the coordinates out of the recorded files to show them on google/bing maps) is much more important for me...
It should record my driven geo-location, direction and speed for working as a real Video-Blackbox.

fkhuebner said:
niko said:
niko said:
WDR F1.6 dash cam with GPS option
No GPS, just WiFi on GT550W model.
With or without GPS?
WiFi (along with Smartphone Apps) and a second channel for back view would be nice, but included GPS (with the possibillity to export the coordinates out of the recorded files to show them on google/bing maps) is much more important for me...
It should record my driven geo-location, direction and speed for working as a real Video-Blackbox.

Check time to time this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1913

Last edited by a moderator:
i like the idea of maybe a lithium battery for usb devices that plugs into the 12v accessory and recharges while I am driving. I am not hard wiring anything to my car. My car dealer would try to void anything if they seen that so lets avoid that.

Hi, I'm looking at the LS 300W too. I'm also looking at options to run off a lithium polymer battery and have a thread going here http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....parking-mode-instead-of-voltage-limiter.2481/ My current thinking is plugging the dashcam into a 20,000 mAh Anker Pro2 battery pack. http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN20L-SA

The battery pack is charged by an AC adapter so the idea is to use a 12vdc to 110 vac cigarette lighter adapter as power source for the ac charger like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...utlet+with+USB+5V+500MA,+Purple.jsp?locale=en

My 12vdc car outlet is switched with the ignition, it'll need a test to see if the charging during normal driving time is sufficient to keep the battery pack charged. I haven't checked what the output voltage of the Anker AC charger is, if it's 5v, maybe the battery pack can be charged by a USB adapter like these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321165040284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 At this point I haven't bought the dash cam or the battery pack. I have the same concerns as you to not modify the car, but plugging accessories into the 12vdc power outlet is okay.

Auto parking mode?
Question for you, I'm looking for a dash cam that switches to parking mode automatically, does the LS 300W do that? Or do you have to go through a bunch of menu settings to turn it on each time. My idea is to run off the 20,000 mAh battery when the car is parked (could be for several days) and auto switching between drive and park mode would be nice.

Hi, I'm looking at the LS 300W too. I'm also looking at options to run off a lithium polymer battery and have a thread going here http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/index....parking-mode-instead-of-voltage-limiter.2481/ My current thinking is plugging the dashcam into a 20,000 mAh Anker Pro2 battery pack. http://www.ianker.com/product/79AN20L-SA

The battery pack is charged by an AC adapter so the idea is to use a 12vdc to 110 vac cigarette lighter adapter as power source for the ac charger like this http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/SolarPortablePower/Inverters/PRD~0111903P/MotoMaster 75W Power Outlet with USB 5V 500MA, Purple.jsp?locale=en

My 12vdc car outlet is switched with the ignition, it'll need a test to see if the charging during normal driving time is sufficient to keep the battery pack charged. I haven't checked what the output voltage of the Anker AC charger is, if it's 5v, maybe the battery pack can be charged by a USB adapter like these http://www.ebay.ca/itm/321165040284?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 At this point I haven't bought the dash cam or the battery pack. I have the same concerns as you to not modify the car, but plugging accessories into the 12vdc power outlet is okay.

Auto parking mode?
Question for you, I'm looking for a dash cam that switches to parking mode automatically, does the LS 300W do that? Or do you have to go through a bunch of menu settings to turn it on each time. My idea is to run off the 20,000 mAh battery when the car is parked (could be for several days) and auto switching between drive and park mode would be nice.
No, the LS300W does not automatically switch to parking mode (same with GT300W/GT550W). That is why I asked somewhere else in the forum, if there is a button to turn it on and off quickly (e.g. like the button on the top right is for muting the mic).

I am not sure though those portable batteries are made to be charged at the same time while giving power to a device (dashcam). What did you not like about the LK-530 from Lukas which you found? That it only comes with 2000 (?) mAh?

You could activate the motion detection (that's how the parking mode is called in the menu), but then you sometimes miss some seconds, e.g. when you are standing at a traffic light and the cam "thinks" there is no/not enough movement. As well your recordings would then not be always 3 min Long (if set to 3 min).

Hi Produckttester,
Right, it was the small capacity of the LK-530, I was looking for something with larger capacity.

Darn, I had narrowed it down to the LS300W for its video quality (quite remarkable), the 360 deg swivel mount, and the quick connect/disconnect between the camera and the mount. I was hoping the operation would be hassle free, leave it in driving mode then when parked, it would sense lack of motion and switch to parking mode by itself. Then back to record mode when driving again. Still waiting for the perfect dash cam. My current dash cam the Cam Corder P9000 needs about 8 button presses to turn on motion detection/parking mode which is a hassle so it's not practical to use motion detection mode.

I'm not sure if the battery pack will charge and give power at the same time, I'll confirm with Anker.

Back