NEW Product out now! VICO-WF1, WIFI!!

Firmware 1.51 for the WF1 has been released.
1. Improved image quality. Enhance the sharpness and clearness.
@CheckYourLights reports: "My WF1 looks amazing at night time under one streetlight compared to before when almost everything was crushed to black. It's almost TF2 good."

Wow, night time driving looks FANTASTIC now! This was the WDR performance I was EXPECTING to get when I first received my beloved WF1. Better late than never though right? Here is a raw sample driving in Las Vegas earlier tonight. (looks great)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fm20l190d1k7jwl/Fragment of MOV_0012-17 (9-11-06 PM - 9-12-22 PM).MP4

I'll do another bay bridge drive when I get home to San Francisco next week as well.

Received my WF1 yesterday, but waiting on SD card arrival from Amazon, so I haven't installed it yet.
Question about the adhesive mount: is it best to orient the long axis of the adhesive surface in a north-south direction on the windshield (like this | ), or orient it west-east (like this -- )? Which orientation gives more stability? I noticed that in the documentation sent with the WF1, the mounting picture shows the north-south orientation. Intuitively, I was thinking west-east would be most stable. Maybe it makes no difference.

Thoughts?

Thanks JazJon for your videos. Nice to see improved quality - just what I was hoping would happen.

North-south is the correct from point of physics, you increas surface area of mout in relation to angle of the screan to dashcam and spreading dashcamera weight pulling weight from furthest very top ( north point ) of bracket to the bottom point of bracket ( sount ) also this way minimizing a vibrations. My technical english is not good but I hope you know what I mean.

Thanks for that Niko. English was just fine!

Ah. I guess I did mine wrong. Sideways just looked like it would hold better to me and for some reason felt easier to position the camera.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389281404453.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389281404453.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 23
Here is the picture from the WF1 mounting installation guide that I referenced above, showing the north-south orientation.

DSC_0058.jpg

Ah. I guess I did mine wrong. Sideways just looked like it would hold better to me and for some reason felt easier to position the camera.

Horizontal or vertical way, - its all relative to car windscreen angle. The more windscreen angle to the horizontal line ( example 20-30 degree ? ) - the less force pulling down from top point of the bracket. If installed on windscreen which angle is close to vertical ( lets say 70 degree ) - then pulling down force in the top ( north point ) of bracket will be mucch higher.

http://dashcamtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Vico-WF1-Mounted-1.jpg

Here is the picture from the WF1 mounting installation guide that I referenced above, showing the north-south orientation.

DSC_0058.jpg

To me this is correct way.

Horizontal opposite JazJon and the literature. I did my TF2 with the quick release bracket horizontal so i could get it right under my mirror bracket, and I ended up doing my WF1 the same way even though nothing is there in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
So where is the best place to shop for one these days? Any leads on best price and shipping to East Coast USA?

Looking to pick up 2 sometime soon. Tried the 0801 and returned it. Firmware issues and lack of iOS and Mac support. Looking to upgrade and not break the bank if possible.

Cheers in advance!!

I bought one from SpyTec through Amazon. They are located in New York. I got mine fast it was all in English as well.

SpyTec still seems to sell them through their website, but not on Amazon. They currently sell for 250 through the site,

A seller called Baywell seems to be selling them on Amazon for 235, but I have never herd of this seller and do not know where they ship from. They are Amazon fulfilled for prime though.

I bought one from SpyTec through Amazon. They are located in New York. I got mine fast it was all in English as well.

SpyTec still seems to sell them through their website, but not on Amazon. They currently sell for 250 through the site,

A seller called Baywell seems to be selling them on Amazon for 235, but I have never herd of this seller and do not know where they ship from. They are Amazon fulfilled for prime though.

Cool...thx! Will check them out. Much appreciated.

Cool...thx! Will check them out. Much appreciated.
You are welcome. I'm always glad to see more Vico devices in more cars.

If i had to pick two cameras to be my top picks over all they would be the Vico WF1/TF2 depending on the size and screen preference and jokiin's GuardTrak line of devices witch are not released yet.

Getting ready to order WF-1 , do you need to step down to 5v to hardwire into ACC circuit?

Car Power Supply DC/DC Regulator Converter 12V to 5V 3A 15W

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ATWDUX8
Any info greatly appreciated............Thanks

1 Week Review of WF1

Pretty pleased with the performance after using it for a few days now. The night/low light quality is quite impressive. I'm using the high setting for night time mode and +0.5 on the exposure setting. There is a transition point that is quite obvious when the expanded dynamic range kicks in at low light just before dusk - In reviewing the videos, I noticed it come on/off in low light when I would turn towards the setting sun versus away from it (depends how the light hits the sensor, I guess).

We've had all overcast days, so I haven't seen whether the +0.5 setting washes out the image too much during a bright sunny day (it's also pretty much dark in the morning/evening when I go to and from work).

The camera has a bit of a problem adjusting to almost all-white (snow) conditions, tends to wash out the image just a bit since there really isn't much to focus on. The colour/contrast of the images is not quite as good under this situation as well. Nothing major though.

There was a bit of judder in the image, so I've really tightened down the connection and that seems to have solved that for now.

I've been taking the WF1 out of my car when I get to work in the morning (yesterday we had a high temp of -28 C with below -30 C in the morning hours) because I don't want it sitting in extreme cold for 8 hours. I'm not sure the internals have been designed for that. Since I park in a heated underground space overnight, that isn't an issue.

I like the auto WiFi off feature, I have it set for 3 minutes auto off, which gives me enough time to play with any settings that I might like to change before I start driving. That was a good idea. I've left the LED on since I can't see it, and the voice volume at medium seems OK to me.

Also, shout out to Alex at BlackBoxMyCar, who helped me through the WiFi connection issues I was having. He provided timely support and suggestions to me, which was appreciated.

This morning, the camera did not power up when I started the car. Couldn't figure it out. Finally just held down the button for about 8 seconds and that seemed to reset it. Adjusted the settings back to my liking and all is good. I think what happened is I pulled the adapter too quickly during shut down and maybe surged it. I'll have to watch that.

So far, no really interesting video captures yet. Taking it on the highway this weekend for a small trip, so we'll see how that goes.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase.

PS - On the legality of using it in my province (Manitoba), I contacted the government run car insurance company (we have no private insurance) to ask, and they wouldn't comment directly. They mentioned it would depend what I wanted to do with the video, who I was recording, etc (maybe privacy concerns). They also pointed to a traffic bylaw that prohibits anything in your car that blocks a 180 degree view out the front windshield. So, it is actually illegal to hang anything from your mirror or mount anything on your dash in my province since they would block part of your view. But, since my WF1 is directly behind the rear view mirror and I can't see it, I should be OK on that front. They also tried to suggest operating a hand held electronic device in the car might be against certain bylaws, but I don't think this is an issue really. The definition of hand held device is quite broad, but doesn't meet the criteria of a mounted camera that has no display or e-mail/text features.

Also bought a WF1 from Blackboxmycar (I found it on sale there for the same price as some were selling it in the U.S., so saved on exchange, duty, customs hassle, etc - plus they had a shipping special of $5 Expedited Parcel Post). For that kind of money I wanted a local retailer so that warranty service would be practical if needed. Decided on the WF1 for exactly the same reasons as tofurkey, and my experience with the cam has been the same (although I had no problems connecting to my Galaxy Note II running Android 4.3, because VicoVation appears to have fixed those issues with the latest version of its app). Haven't decided yet if the 'High' or 'Standard' setting is better at night (the manual says high is for use with a tinted windshield). I have set the Wi-Fi to always off (I think JazJon might have suggested this) - when you need it, a two-second press on the button activates it, another two-second press turns it off - although this disables the lane departure warning feature (which I don't use). Only feature that is missing for my purposes is a parking mode, which I hope might be included in a future firmware upgrade. I really like VicoVation from what I have seen so far - a quality product, and excellent support, justify the price in my view - and I am really looking forward to their new products announced at CES. Overall, I am also very pleased with the WF1 (although I would consider the new A7-based 0801 for a rear camera, or parking mode backup).

I bought a Wf1 last week after techmoans reviews and it worked great for the few days. Then one morning when i went into the car, after about 30 seconds after the voice had told me it was recording, the unit said " Memory card error, recording disaaaaabbbbaaabbbaaabbbbblllllllllleeeeedddd ( Yes it sounded like she had a stutter ) and then it fizzled out. Now it happens every time. I originally used a class 10 off ebay " Master Brand" but then I tried a class 10 San disk and also a class 10 Samsung Plus. Do I have a faulty camera?

I bought a Wf1 last week after techmoans reviews and it worked great for the few days. Then one morning when i went into the car, after about 30 seconds after the voice had told me it was recording, the unit said " Memory card error, recording disaaaaabbbbaaabbbaaabbbbblllllllllleeeeedddd ( Yes it sounded like she had a stutter ) and then it fizzled out. Now it happens every time. I originally used a class 10 off ebay " Master Brand" but then I tried a class 10 San disk and also a class 10 Samsung Plus. Do I have a faulty camera?

I've been having this issue as well. I at one point had a Sandisk class 4 card in and did not seem to have any issues, but it was only an 8GB card I'm going to try to get a class 6/32GB card and see what happens.

Hard to say - a number of members have posted in various threads about the hazards of buying SD cards off eBay (too many fakes), so first things first, you need to make sure you have a genuine, good quality Class 10 card purchased from a reputable vendor. With that, format the card in the camera, and try doing a factory reset (push and hold down the button for 8 seconds). If that doesn't solve the problem, talk to your vendor - if it's an authorized VicoVation dealer, you're well within the warranty period.

Back