New products Released - Lukas LK-7200

We've sold the LK-7500 cuty on Amazon for at least 6 months at $199.95. That has the Sony Exmor sensor and for all intents and purposes the exact same specs as the LK-7900. Never seemed to sell as well as the LK-7900, though that might just be for lack of publicity. I'm really not sure why Lukas releases SO many different models , but I will send our rep an e-mail and try to find out.

My LK-7500 i got from you perform flawless :)
I think the reason LK-7900 do better might be a case of "the bigger the modelnumber is, the better ppl think a product is"
I got the 7500 as it was slightly cheaper,and i like the housing of it better than the 7900.

Allso i have cheked if you stocked the OBD module and the GPS antenna, but sadly those 2 items dont seem to be for sale in the western hemisphere :(

I dont undestand why Lukas dont get all ther products out to as many potential customers as possible :confused: many other Korean brands do this quite well.

7900 advertises higher operating temps. Not that this is a real issue for most people but "more is better" right?

I would really like to get the 7900 features and video quality without the GPS. I was thinking the new 7200 basic package would be it but it appears it doesn't have the Sony sensors... Now I 'm going to have to wait to see reviews.

@ Kamkar1 and Quick the OBD module is in the pipeline for the western hemisphere Lukas Qrontech are working to that end its just taking more time than expected. The last email contact I had with them they asked for the year and model of my car for the correct OBD module and added they would contact me in due course.......I guess it will be in the new year now before I hear anything .....Regards Ipol

Thx ipol :)
My 2011 Suzuki should be new enuff to be able to talk the right language, but i have notised that there is quite a fjew diagnistics ports for cars, and i assume allso a fjew digital languages that is spoken thru those ports.

We will have to see what 1014 bring, but hopefully it is a lot of new "toys" ;)

Lukas wrote back to us about the OBD coming to western markets.

They wrote:

"Basically the biggest problem is the difference in data communication protocol between domestic cars and overseas cars. Even to support domestic cars it requires many tests to satisfy the vast variety of the year of production, model, and brand, which could be pretty daunting task to satisfy various automotives in US."

@spytec Yes I figured that might be the issue hopefully a simpler solution might be found as technology progresses ................ Ipol

Well, actually OBDII is a "standard". Specified right down to the electrical and physical.
ALL cars (in the US) after 1996 have to support it.
For example the physical port you plug into is standard, it must be powered all the time (car on or off), etc.
The bus is specified and I believe it can be over either the high or low speed CAN bus?
The protocol used is standardized. Modules have node addresses and (for the OBDII protocol there is a standard message format and standard set of parameters that can be polled for from the OBDII diagnostics port. Things like RPM, speed, coolant temp, etc, etc, (in particular anything that might remotely have to do with emissions and more). Part of the impetus behind that is to support periodic emissions checks and the like. Your scanner/diagnostic tool only needs to support the standard and you can plug it into ANY car.

The protocol defines a set of "mandatory" messages and parameters and also provides for optional user/proprietary messages and parameters.
So there is the standard set of PIDs (parameter IDs) that can be polled for and must be supported, and then there may be manufacturer specific parameters that can be polled for.
There are something like 100? or so mandatory parameters and then, for my car, Chrysler has maybe that many or more Chrysler specific PIDs. Some just a variation on the standard ones and some completely unique.

So... it would be ambitious to support manufacturer specific PIDs and there would be a significant licensing fee to support that. Not likely they are even considering that.
But the standard OBDII diagnostics are, well, standard. Shouldn't be a problem there. One set would support the entire US market.

Some detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Last edited:
Quick: I actually thought the same thing, but there is obviously some other issue at play here. It can't be that they don't know that if they are building this product. I will ask them to clarify, could be interesting...

THX for the enlightenment.
Here in DK i think its the same standarts as the US marked, and i think embedded OBD2 info in the videos are quite usefull.
You can prove that you did indicate before you changed lane, and you did not brake when the other guy rear ended you, and so forth.

I hope there is a good chance for support of my Little Suzuki, those Little care are pretty abundant in the far East ;)

I drive a Mitsubishi space star which as far a I know has the same engine as a similar spec renault but when I had the car serviced at a renault garage they told me they could not connect the PC diagnostic apparatus into the OBD2 port as it did not support it. So much for standard specification perhaps they were trying to get me to buy a renault.....The local mitsubishi garage had closed down and the nearest one was 1h 30 drive each way. A new garage has opened locally now but like renault they are trying to get me to buy a new car,the car is running sweet as a nut and at my age I see no reason to change...............Ipol :(

I drive a Mitsubishi space star which as far a I know has the same engine as a similar spec renault but when I had the car serviced at a renault garage they told me they could not connect the PC diagnostic apparatus into the OBD2 port as it did not support it.

This is likely to be a different situation. What they may be referring to is a diagnostic/test tool for Renaults. For example you would plug it in and tell it to run a set of diagnostic tests. Those would be Renault specific and involve stuff like putting the (Renault) ECU in diagnostic mode, etc, etc. Different than just scanning for the standard OBDII PIDs and almost surely manufacturer specific.

@ Quick yes you are probably right thanks for the info ......at least Lukas are hoping to supply OBD supported cameras for out part of the world....Fingers crossed and a little patience is the order of the day I guess ......Ipol:)

Lukas LK 7200 has Samsung Sensor and according to Lukas , It has same quality as Sony CMOS.

Back