New Rear Cam Thread

Auld Reekie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For anyone who has yet to get this rear cam.

Got my rear cam today, cable that came with it is more than ample for most cars unless your driving a stretch limo.:) My car is a Fiesta so there was too much cable, I had to find places to tuck my excess cable away.

The camera itself I have no complaints, it seems to give a very clear and sharp video, a good strong sticky pad and the swivel/ball joint is a vast improvement from the front cam and no vibration seen in the video..
I took on a test run, first time out was very bright and sunny so I moved the exposure setting to +1 to compensate for the factory tinted window on the rear, perhaps I'll put it back to zero and try that later.
The first clip has the sun in the front of the car, second clip with sun on the side of the car then fully on the rear window to give you a idea how the exposure.
I'm going to the pub this afternoon so I will do a night time run later but not tonight ...hic;)
I find VLC player gives you a better quality playback than NB Replay3.

Great little camera for the price and worth the wait.

I have uploaded two clips to my MSOnedrive which I'll keep there for a month, It would be better if you downloaded them and play it back on VLC Player or siimilar, playing them on your browser may make it jerky depending on your machine.

Clip 1: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgNZ-X0rthnUpFYRcX4iiMsA1ZhL

Clip 2: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgNZ-X0rthnUpFclhbsZ29G_Q9Lq

Last edited:
Both clips are the same but still really good quality. Probably better than the front haha!

Yep, no problem with the quality. On pausing you can read everything.

Thanks for that Tiffany, lookslike its on the website now

Last edited:
Having read some of the other threads on here it initially appeared that there were some issues with the new rear dash cam working !
As a result of this I was thinking about just buying another standard 512GW and mounting it in the rear screen and having two stand alone cameras front and rear.
I would rather fit this new rear dash cam, so have all these issues been sorted, loose cables, unable to get a rear image on the screen etc ?
Many thanks

Not had any issues myself though some have.

Does seem to have been the case. Actually not sure how many rear cams went out on first release but it's gone quiet on here.

Hi @Baz999fire

It would be dependant on what you wanted - another 512GW would give a better image quality but cost over three times more.

Wi-Fi problems for iPhone users has been sorted, rear image on screen/bugs has been sorted (we're testing the firmware today) and cables being loose was a select few that have been resolved.

Any idea if/when the WiFi issue for Android will be resolved?

Hi @Baz999fire

It would be dependant on what you wanted - another 512GW would give a better image quality but cost over three times more.

Wi-Fi problems for iPhone users has been sorted, rear image on screen/bugs has been sorted (we're testing the firmware today) and cables being loose was a select few that have been resolved.

Hi Tiffany,
Many thanks for getting back to me so fast.
I’d rather buy the new rear camera as it’s very small and would be neater all round. I was waiting for them to be stocked in Halfords soon. Are the connections all ok to mount this new rear camera on the rear screen of a hatch back? - with the opening and closing of the rear door?
Thanks ~ Barry

I'm sure Tiffany will come back with info for you but I have mine mounted on the rear screen as you describe. The shielded/reinforced cable should be robust enough.

Hi Tiffany,
Many thanks for getting back to me so fast.
I’d rather buy the new rear camera as it’s very small and would be neater all round. I was waiting for them to be stocked in Halfords soon. Are the connections all ok to mount this new rear camera on the rear screen of a hatch back? - with the opening and closing of the rear door?
Thanks ~ Barry

I've got mine fitted on the rear screen of my fiesta hatchback, no problems with it, just make sure you leave enough free movement of the cable so it is not pulling from the cam. You will be able to judge for yourself while fitting it since the hatch will be open.

@Baz999fire it should be fine there the cable is quite a bit thicker than our others for this reason. I'm finding some of the best fitting solution is right at the top with the cable either going through the same part of trim as the brake lighting or routed very near to it. You can fit with boot open and then try closing to confirm it isn't going to get trapped.

Back