New ride needs some dashcams... and backup dash camera...

Sunny

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
More than I can review. ;)
Okay, instead of replacing sand pitted windshield in the Camry, I upgraded to Venza. :D
Well that and I needed AWD for the winter.

10617961408x650-venza.jpg

Bad thing is it doesn't have backup camera.
I'm not sure if the built in display can be used as screen or need to buy the whole thing.

Good thing is it has 12v outlet in the trunk area as well so I don't have to run wire from the front if I decide to go separate dashcam for rear.

Is there any dashcam with video out to use as backup camera?
Lukas has it but it's very big for the front so that is last option.
I'm planning on something like A118 both front and rear and if that can be used as backup camera view, it'll be great.
I read about some one using mini 0806 but mine broke so that won't work.

What dashcams are being used as backup camera?
LCD screens are pretty cheap nowadays so that won't be a problem but that's one extra screen to put on the dashboard. If built in display accepts video in, it'll be better option.
Thanks for chiming in...

Last edited:
Consider Mobius. The Android App Mobius USB Tools has a Rear View mode, including guide lines, that you can adjust & turn on/off for reversing into a parking space...

image.jpg

You may already own an Android tablet that can run app Mobius USB Tools.

Last edited:
Thanks but that won't work.
I need something that's on as soon as car is on.
It's no use to turn the phone/android app on, connect to the camera and then reverse.

It has to be something with video out to a screen.
How about HDMI out on those NT96650 based cameras or it doesn't record when HDMI is in use?

Back to the topic.
Instead of the new ride, I need one for the old ride.

My plan is to buy a LCD screen like this one that I can put on the dashboard:
51vG9vgxVgL._SL1000_.jpg

It accepts RCA video in.
I've seen A/V out port on many Novatek based dashcams but never received a cable that goes in that.

sku_293083_5.jpg

Does it work with a 3.5mm to RCA cable like this one?
I have some of those to try.
stereo-headphone-3-5mm-plug-to-dual-rca-plugs-y-adapter-splitter-cable-10.jpg

How about HDMI out on those NT96650 based cameras or it doesn't record when HDMI is in use?
They don't record when streaming over HDMI. You can only see what the camera is filming.

Back to the topic.
Instead of the new ride, I need one for the old ride.

My plan is to buy a LCD screen like this one that I can put on the dashboard:
51vG9vgxVgL._SL1000_.jpg

It accepts RCA video in.
I've seen A/V out port on many Novatek based dashcams but never received a cable that goes in that.

sku_293083_5.jpg

Does it work with a 3.5mm to RCA cable like this one?
I have some of those to try.
stereo-headphone-3-5mm-plug-to-dual-rca-plugs-y-adapter-splitter-cable-10.jpg
It should work. Since the LCD screen only has video and a mono audio inputs you only have to find out which is which, the tip or the ring. However, if I were you I would buy a good quality dedicated cable because they have a proper video cable, unlike that one you posted that has two audio cables. Remember, you're dealing with analog video signal, so the PQ depends a lot on the cable's quality, more so when it's a long cable.

@Gibson99
Do you think 4.3" is big enough?
I took my 7" tablet and see how it looks on the dashboard and it looks huge.

If 4.3" is good, I may go for a mirror screen like this one for cleaner install:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B007FNO7CW
41oTgTdqNFL.jpg

or a folding 4.3" dash mount like this one:
New-2014-car-monitor-4-3-Foldable-TFT-Color-LCD-Car-Reverse-Rearview-16-9-4.jpg

But if 4.3" is not large enough for the rear view monitor, I will get larger screen.
What say you?

a warning on that pop up LCD you have posted...that plastic housing WILL melt on your dash. I bought two (different brands) but obviously from the same manufacturer and they both melted. and that mirror replacement? be aware that they are very compromised when it comes to reflectivity. they will not reflect nearly as well as your OEM mirror. and the reflective coating will also lead to a very washed out LCD image during the day.

if you get one of those and it melts you know it's recycled plastic, new material is good for 200c, the cheapest versions of these always use recycled plastic, that's how they make them cheaper

a warning on that pop up LCD you have posted...that plastic housing WILL melt on your dash. I bought two (different brands) but obviously from the same manufacturer and they both melted. and that mirror replacement? be aware that they are very compromised when it comes to reflectivity. they will not reflect nearly as well as your OEM mirror. and the reflective coating will also lead to a very washed out LCD image during the day.

if you get one of those and it melts you know it's recycled plastic, new material is good for 200c, the cheapest versions of these always use recycled plastic, that's how they make them cheaper

I see.
Looks like I need to read reviews in detail.
I'm not worried about spending little more for better product.

I even saw some 7" rear view mirror that has bluetooth and SD card playback as well.
Maybe these are better quality.
Man so many options.
61NCLhZWosL._SL1000_.jpg

I even saw some 7" rear view mirror that has bluetooth and SD card playback as well.
Maybe these are better quality.
you generally find in this sort of stuff that the more features they have the lower the quality

Back