NEW RUNCAM SPLIT (ex RC3 cube): modular dashcam option??

The app aparently can't connect to the camera over wifi as long as the phone's data connection (not the wifi, but the 4g) is active, that is weird....

Thats also the case with the Sj cameras or at least the Sj7Star, i think its a limitation of the chipset,,,,, maybe,,,,, the SJDASH camera dont mind if cell data are on or not,,,,, at least not on the surface,,, but i do have some weird and different issues with the SJDASH and app use if its on my 7.1.1 phone or my 5.0 tablet.

OK, about this WDR off thingie, it's puzzling to me, cause in my Mobius 1 and JooVuu X it works nicely, should a f/w update be fixing this?

Anyone have idea's on this?

I've read the reply of andrewukr6 here, but tbh, that's the only one I have heard of, and my own of course.... Hahaha.

I mean WDR is a bit like HDR I guess, it is a kind false effect which can look a bit fake, it isn't a true higher dynamic range sensor but I agree the results look displeasing. probably ok from a drone but a bit false otherwise. I think a bit of dark shadow etc adds realism. I would message Runcam with a screenshot asking why it looks so bad with WDR on - they are very helpful. It's probably a filter which they have decided where to set it for the best average person. Probably if you took that WDR image into video software and altered the tint, lowered the shadows, upped the contrast it would look quite ok.... but I think it's about on par with any action camera with WDR off so i'm happy to leave it off...

Oh it's going to be delivered @ Runcam, no doubt.

Isn't HDR the BIG (enhanced) brother of WDR? JooVuu has real HDR, and Mobius has "only" WDR. HDR mode @30fps/1080p in JooVuu gets the best night recording quality,

The JooVuu has also settings for color, saturation and contrast. These were very helpful in getting the image right to my taste.

The Mobius 1 has those too, but I never had to change from factory settings.

Maybe if Runcam has this functionality, it might get us closer to a more realistic WDR.

I do remember seeing comparisons though (WDR vs No WDR) where the WDR recording wasn't washed out at all.... I'd like that too please....

Nevertheless, if the license plates of slow moving vehicles can't be read in broad daylight, there's really no sense in taking it up any further.

And still I'll keep trying .....

Last edited:
Oh it's going to be delivered @ Runcam, no doubt.

Isn't HDR the BIG (enhanced) brother of WDR?

The JooVuu has settings for color, saturation and contrast. These were very helpful in getting the image right to my taste.

The Mobius 1 has those too, but I never had to change from factory settings.

Nevertheless, if the license plates of even slow moving vehicles can't be read, there's really no sense in taking it up any further.

And still I'll keep trying .....

yeah that seems bad. All I can think with that is a bad copy of the standard lens is very poor - not sure

OK, my conclusion: the Split is not fit for dashcam use.

I have used a 1/2.5" 3.6mm lens for narrower view, and indeed it is easier to read license plates (since the plates are bigger in view now), but the flat and dull colors remain, also with WDR off (albeit a little less dull than with WDR on). This is an issue of color/contrast/saturation settings. I checked in VLC and playing with it gives us about the temp/quality/contrast etc we would personally want.

So: some more work to do for RunCam...

Besides it needs a battery or supercapacitor to properly save files in case of power failiure and I know we can implement that, but it seems a lot of work to do for a solution that is nothing better than Mobius 1 or JooVuu X (and many others, which I don't have) when it comes down to it's merit, reliable capturing, simpel in use and get readable license plates.....

AND it does indeed get pretty hot, and you can actually use a heat sink on the cpu, but again: more work/mods.

What bugged me most is the fact that setting the camera to implement date/time in the video output, will cause stuttering video footage, and I don't know about you guys, but I don't like hick-ups.... at all!

So..... anyone interested in a black RunCam Split with GoPro quality lens? PM me.

how about this:

http://www.datatoys.com/products/hd-high-definition-cameras/hd-mini-cube-camera-29/

with RS485 connection / control and input trigger !!

Loads of setings / features but what a price for a 29mm camera.....and it's on sale (only 549.00USD)

"HD-SDI Mini Cube Camera – 29mm x 29mm
The HD-SDI Mini Cube Camera features 1080p60 3G-SDI and 108p30 HD-SDI full high definition resolution

• Full HD high definition 1080p60 3G-SDI and 1080p30 HD-SDI mini cube camera
  • 1/2.8” 2.38 Megapixel Sony Exmor CMOS Sensor
  • Fully Adjustable Settings.
  • Easy to Mount.
  • CS Mount Lens of your choice
  • Ask for different Lens options
  • cube-cam3.jpg
Sale $549.00
INVENTORY REDUCTION SALE – Retail $799.00

The 3G HD-SDI Cube Camera offers full 1080p resolution while being the small and most rugged full HD camera in the world. With 3G-SDI 1080p60 capability, the HD Cube Camera records at higher than broadcast video resolution. An HD-SDI output can be connected to any HD-SDI recorder or 3G-SDI monitor including the Datatoys AirKnight HD product line. Choose between a wide range of C/CS mount lenses to customize your FOV. Use a wide angle lens if optimized for mobile applications providing a wide view without large amounts of distortion or fish-eye effect.

Lens Options. Any standard size Fixed or Varifocal C/CS Mount Lens will work with the Cube Camera. Please consult our knowledgeable sales staff for different lens options.

*FOV measured diagonally

Features

• 1/2.8″ Sony Exmor CMOS Sensor
  • Full HD 1080p Resolution.
  • 1080/720 @ 25p/30p/50p/60p/50i/60i selectable
  • WDR / DNR / AGC / Sens-Up
  • Dynamic Motion Detection (8 zones, up to 1980 blocks)
  • Privacy Zone Masking (8 zones)
  • HD-SDI / 3G-SDI Output (NTSC / PAL)
  • OSD Joystick built-in
  • 29(W) x 29(H) x 29(D) mm
  • DC12V – 24V
A 1/2.8″ Sony Exmor sensor offers 2.38 total Megapixels of resolution along with excellent light performance, noise and vibration reduction. Settings have been specifically optimized to provide ultimate performance in aviation applications.

BNC connector, on the rear panel of the camera, provides HD-SDI video signal which goes out to the display or the recording source such as a TV, an HD-SDI or analog monitor or the AirKnight HD DVR. The HD-SDI Cube Cam is also compatible with any other HD-SDI DVR available on the market today. Bad Wolf Technologies provides a

Bad Wolf Technologies provides a wide variety of cabling options for the HD Cube Cam. One such option uses the Hirose locking bayonet connector containing POWER/GROUND pair. The benefit of using the Hirose connectors for power is twofold. First, it is a true “plug and play” connection to the AirKnight HD DVR (the HD-SDI or 3G-SDI signal will still travel via the BNC video cable). Second, it provides power to the HD-SDI Cube Camera from the DVR. Yes, the AirKnight HD will supply the power to the HD-SDI Cube Cam. The Hirose multi-pin positive lock bayonet connector take care of power while the high-end BNC connector provides a positive lock for high-quality video cables. Both of these are available right here at Bad Wolf Technologies llc.

Making a long story short, your camera video and power cables will not come loose by accident. Unless you really want them to. To top it off, our MCR ™ multi-core ™ cabling scheme allows both the high-speed SDI and DC power signals run over the same cable over extended distances with no loss of video signal whatsoever. The immediate benefit is a single cable run instead of two video (BNC) and power (DC) cables. This results in shorter installation times, smaller holes being drilled through the bulkhead or the airframe, easier to pull through tight spaces when used in drones, ROVs or smaller airframes. So, in the end, the weight savings are substantial due to the small diameter size and light weight of the MCR cable. Just goes to show you that real American engineering is still alive and well.

Mounting this amazing Micro HD Cube Cam is easy with two 1/4″-20 threaded mounting plate on the bottom of the camera. Use our Universal Mount for attaching the Cube Cam to a flat surface. Another option is to use our Super Clamp Mount for mounting the Cube Cam to a roll bar, pipe, door, desk, table, or any other surface you can think of. Furthermore, our Suction Cup Mount is ideal for mounting on a variety of flat or almost flat surfaces, such as car roof, hood, door panels, table top, desk, door, wall, motorbike, trailer, airplane, helicopter and whatever else you can think of.

With Bad Wolf Technologies you have lots of options…"

OK, I'm done with my Split and will sell it off, anyone interested? Send me a PM, and we'll sort it out.

I've made a box for it, works nicely, and surprisingly it doesn't seem to suffer from heat at all...

But I do throw in the 5V USB powered fan as well.... Just for easing your mind.... :D

splitdashcam.jpg

IMG_20170908_153848634_HDR.jpg

There's also a cooling heatsink included.

IMG_20170908_175743581_HDR.jpg

And the whole item is packed back into the original box. If you want the "smint-dashcam-housing" too, you can have it as well....!

Last edited:
Here are a few recordings I made during work:

It does seem to give a pretty good accounting of itself for the price. Thanks for the reviews and vids :D

I don't think there will be a large market for this one though, as most folks go for cams which are far more plug-and-play friendly. Many folks are even afraid to do a simple hardwiring kit install so this cam would be well beyond them :whistle: For those of us who are DIY inclined it does have a lot to offer- maybe someday I'll give one a try.

Phil

Forget my previous message, the board failed, no start, can't record, can't approach with Wi-Fi, clip of lens sensor board fell off, it's a bummer.

Runcam's Split turned its back on me....

"Luckily" I got a PARTIAL refund cause it wasn't dead on arrival.... Can you believe that...!!

Anyway, I have to conclude its very much NOT rugged, and a very fragile camera.

Definitely unfit for dashcam use. So, having said that, the leftovers are up for a small fee to close the refund gap.... See picture.

Oh yeah, I'm keeping the lens.... sorry

IMG_20170921_124934057_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
INBOX%3E1617

Last edited:
Imagine it being on a race quadcopter that crash quite often.

Imagine it being on a race quadcopter that crash quite often.

Yeah, what the h@ll was I thinking...?!??!

Weirdest is, they (Runcam) didn't just get me a refund, but offered me a coupon.... so I could buy another one.... didn't they understand I might not want another Split....??!? Come on. After a few emails up and down I was granted to use it for a Runcam 2...... wow.... well, I did just that.

Why you ask, I'm just SOOOOO tired of discussing such trivial things....

Of the top of my head I guess better luck with the A119S that's on its way.

Well I tried the Runcam 2 for the heck of it, auto starts, but no auto stop, RC says this about it:

"Hi Sir

"(1) For the previous firmware version, that is disconnected from the computer.

(2) And for this function, it's mainly for driving recorder, at now, we have no plans to add this function, thanks for your understanding.

(3) And for the lost of last moment, that is the limit of firmware, there is no good solution yet, sorry.
"

OK, I can understand the last 3 seconds are not recorded (3) when used without battery, but, no "plans for adding this function (auto stop)" (2)?

That's weird, since earlier firmwares for this RC 2 actually DID auto stop at USB power off.... hence the question about earlier firmwares. The answer.... (1) NO EARLIER FIRMWARES AVAILABLE??

Wow, I'm done with Runcam on this.

Oh and if you must know, the night recordings with the RC2 are a joke :eek: ...... sorry. I may have another go later today, but this one is a gonner.

Anyone up for one? Almost new, all accessories included. PM me, we'll sort it. ;)

Back