New SG9665GC Owner - questions...

OutLore

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey y'all - I just received my SG9665GC and I have a few questions...

Should the behavior of the cam be different when plugged into USB vs. the power unit for the car? When plugged into USB many of the functions (record, playback, sometimes the menu won't come up) are not available. It also presents a blue screen requesting I select either PC Cam or Mass Storage - I've not seen this mentioned anywhere or on any videos.

As my cam lens came covered in fingerprints and the card had a video already on it of what I can only assume is a guy in his kitchen, I want to make sure this wasn't returned due to the above issues.

Thanks!

Hey y'all - I just received my SG9665GC and I have a few questions...

Should the behavior of the cam be different when plugged into USB vs. the power unit for the car? When plugged into USB many of the functions (record, playback, sometimes the menu won't come up) are not available. It also presents a blue screen requesting I select either PC Cam or Mass Storage - I've not seen this mentioned anywhere or on any videos.

As my cam lens came covered in fingerprints and the card had a video already on it of what I can only assume is a guy in his kitchen, I want to make sure this wasn't returned due to the above issues.

Thanks!

Depends what usb port you use. Most home devices does not supply enough power to usb port to be used properly with SG9665GC. You need stable 1Amp USB port.

...When plugged into USB many of the functions (record, playback, sometimes the menu won't come up) are not available. It also presents a blue screen requesting I select either PC Cam or Mass Storage - I've not seen this mentioned anywhere or on any videos.

Sounds like you have it plugged into a PC with a data cable which turns the camera into a device attached to the computer and it's trying to act as such. If you just want to use the PC's USB port for power you will need to get a 'charging only' cable which does not have the data contacts wired.

...As my cam lens came covered in fingerprints and the card had a video already on it of what I can only assume is a guy in his kitchen, I want to make sure this wasn't returned due to the above issues...
If you got it from @Pier28 that may be because it was tested before shipping. He's mentioned a couple of times here on the forums that he does that.

Cool thanks guys - amperage makes sense since it works in the truck. Just wanted to check.

I feel like I should treasure the video, lol.

Sounds like you have it plugged into a PC with a data cable which turns the camera into a device attached to the computer and it's trying to act as such. If you just want to use the PC's USB port for power you will need to get a 'charging only' cable which does not have the data contacts wired.

Sometimes its hard to find a charging only cable these days. Many on the market are 5 pin data cables. In a pinch you can carefully slice open the cable and cut the green and white data wires.

USB cable copy 2.jpg

Thanks - I found a phone charger that has a 1A output, and it works fine :)
Sometimes its hard to find a charging only cable these days. Many on the market are 5 pin data cables. In a pinch you can carefully slice open the cable and cut the green and white data wires.

Thanks - I grabbed a phone charger with a 1A output and it's all good :)

Hi welcome to the club, sorry about the finger prints I'm usually more careful cleaning and formatting post QA test. The sales volume is really picking up on the GC lately.

Yes most computer/built in car USB ports are underpowered at 500mA. Only use high current = or > 1A USB ports such as those found on a android/iOS wall charger etc.

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the club, sorry about the finger prints I'm usually more careful cleaning and formatting post QA test. .
OK, time to create a thread with Pier28 is NOT so great?

OK, I' m gone, outta here, nooo not on the head please I'm bald and it hurts...

finger prints is probably something we didn't have to worry about before as we had a plastic cover on the lens, we had to drop that as we found it was leaving a residue on the lens which was difficult to clean off

as to connecting to USB it is not supported, USB ports don't provide enough power for the camera to operate, it's why we don't include a USB cable and why we include a card reader instead, likewise we get people that want to connect to USB outlets that some cars have, these are problematic also in the majority of vehicles and are not supported

Back