New SG9665GC proving useful already...

Elektrix

Reaction score
Country
United States
2nd day with my new (and first) dash cam installed. This is just the sort of incident that motivated me to buy one of these...

She had no clue what she just did :mad:

Sorry for the language!!!

Last edited:
close one, welcome to the club.

Some people assume flashing red is for everyone, when yours was clearly yellow.

Indeed! Looks like she had stopped and yielded to a car coming from the other direction but then just went right in front of me. Seemed to be a closer call in real life than the video makes it appear to be, ABS kicked in hard and everything went flying in my car

Amazing reaction, some people are just absolutely clueless when driving.

White car in winter time is not always easy to spot when if it's blends in with surrounding snow.
You have a good reaction and lucky there was no ice on the road.

Trouble comes when you least expect it.

Fortunately, I was able to stop on hearing his tyres screeching and ultimately, he did get it stopped before the roundabout, so it wasn't too close.

yeah, SG9665GC has very good microphone sensitivity, hence we also can hear very well tires screeching from YT video.

What's that awful background noise on the last video though?

@Zelig, I think @Mikk36 meant that "ticking wave noise" ?
Do you have any other videos to share from normal driving on the smooth road so we could hear it in more details ?

Yes, there is some sort of "interference" noise. It is there all the time. Normally you can't really hear it on the video if the radio is playing in the background, so I haven't got round to investigating it. Just happened to have the radio off at the time of this clip.

I have the dashcam plugged into a Belkin dual usb-outlet in the cigarette lighter - the other usb powers my QI Charger/Phone holder for my Lumia 1520 - I just figured it was something to do with that setup.

The LCD screen has a constant "flicker" as well, which I figured was also related to the same problem.

Like I said, just haven't got round to looking into it.

Yes, there is some sort of "interference" noise. It is there all the time. Normally you can't really hear it on the video if the radio is playing in the background, so I haven't got round to investigating it.

I have the dashcam plugged into a dual usb-outlet in the cigarette lighter - the other usb powers my QI Charger/Phone holder for my Lumia 1520 - I just figured it was something to do with that setup.

The LCD screen has a constant "flicker" as well, which I figured was also related to the same problem.

Like I said, just haven't got round to sorting it out.

are you using the included power supply or something else?

are you using the included power supply or something else?

Something else. In the Cigarette lighter I have a Belkin Dual USB outlet. I have a 4m USB to Mini USB cable plugged into the Belkin and running to the SG9665GC.

I just tried it with the included power supply and the "interference" noise and the screen flickering goes away.

Tried it with a Kensington USB (single) outlet and got the same noise and screen flickering.

Interestingly, I then put the Belkin back in and plugged the dashcam back into that (since I need my phone charger) and this time it seemed to work without the screen flickering - checked the video and there was no noise.

Played around a bit more and found if I played around with the Belkin (and the Kensington for that matter) when in the cigarette slot, I could get the screen flickering to stop. Checked the footage and confirmed that when the on screen display is not flickering, there is no noise on the video (NB: the video itself never flickered - just the OSD).

It is a bit hit and miss though. Need to get the Belkin positioned just right. Bump the Belkin or the cables and the flicker can return. I am guessing a pot hole or speed bump might upset the delicate balance too.

I just tried it with the included power supply and the "interference" noise and the screen flickering goes away.
Jokiin and the team have worked very hard and gone through many versions of the power supply cord for this dashcam to eliminate interference as much as possible so this maybe the issue, the supplied power cord with all the hard work put into it has eliminated the interference that is around your car causing your cam to flicker?.

With 3rd party accessories it is a chance of hit and miss.

At this point, I don't know if it is the 4m Micro USB cable or the Cigarette lighter USB adapter that is causing the problem (or both!).

Anyone got any suggestions given I need to be able to power 2 devices (dashcam and QI phone charger) ?

Is there a specific model / brand of dual USB adapter anyone could recommend ?

Alternatively, would one of those Cigarette Lighter Double Adapter / Splitter devices be a better option that a dual USB port adapter ? Eg one like this (not necessarily this one): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/191749617963 ?

Given there are so many variations on eBay, anyone want to recommend a Cigaretter Lighter Double Adapter for me ?

It could be the QI charger generating the interference, they have large coils in them and can put out a bit of noise

Back