New to Dash Cams Need Help

jp914

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm going to expect this will be a journey for me since I am seriously clueless about dash cams. I am in need of a dash cam primarily when my car is parked.
I live in the city and use street parking. This means that I am rarely parked in the same place. It depends on parking availablity.

I have a 2017 car. I love it and want to protect it. I will be honest. I'm afraid to have a dash cam hard wired because my car is seamless and I can't have any electrical or any problems with it. I was wishing for a wi-fi that I can connect with my iphone or computer.

The problem IS, I don't even know where to begin. I am willing to spend time to get some understanding, though I am not tech knowledgable to the point of wires etc.
I really don't want to disrupt anything in the car to do this.
I would want it primarily for vandalism though having one while driving could also be an asset though, it's not my primary reason for having one.

I live in the SF Bay area and I'm willing to drive wherever to get help.. installation and a better understanding if it's possible to get my needs met.

I thought I'd start here. As far as dollar amount. I've seen ranges up to $500. If I could get something seamless, easy and not disrupt how my car operates or wires I would go to the higher end cost.
I'm looking for stress free.
I would mainly need it while I'm parked in the evening from dark to morning.
Also, hopefully it would not be visible to the point where the car would be broken into to get it. I wouldn't want to let would be vandals know I have it either.

I'm hoping I'll hear good news. Thanks very much. Forums are the best way that I've found to get in the right direction.
Again .. thanks...

not sure exactly what seemless is, it's going to need power, whether that's an auxiliary battery or wired into the vehicle

I'm sorry as I said, I'm a bit clueless. Seamless to me meant that I am actually afraid to hardwire anything and was hoping there was some sort of wireless or YES, battery. I would actually spend the time to continue the work to keep a type of camera battery charged even if it means daily or every other day. It would have to operate throughout the night while I'm parked.

At the moment and for the next months, I feel I am going to need the camera because of a possible incident that can arise. After a few months, I could lessen my use of the camera. (I am concerned about vandalism that would arise since my neighbors and myself are complaining about a neighbor putting barbed wire and metal stakes close to a curb which are dangerous to people and car doors opening.)
I hope this helps to clarify my meaning of seamless.

I would be happy to use a camera battery- but not my car battery. Is this possible. Thanks for responding.

some people run cameras from USB power banks, they generally have more than one battery pack so that they always have one charged and just swap them out daily, cameras don't run from their own battery so it needs something to power it

Thank you. I would be willing to have more than one battery pack and do as you said.. keep one charged and swap out daily.
Now, it would be what camera to purchase? Where to purchase battery packs to go with them? And, how to mount? I'd like it to be small if possible and not be able to stand out.
Thanks..
I've now clarified one thing that is integral to know.. the battery pack solution.
I'm in the States in California SF Bay area.. So I'll await more information tomorrow, for me on Pacific Daylight Time. 12am here. Thanks very much...

Back